Wyze Cam V3 SD Card Failures

I never did that but that might have been the cause for some folks… The other V3 I have in the front with a cheap-o 16gb sd card and it works flawlessly. And it has been unplugged without shutting down, moved from one side of the house to the other, etc. Just something about this one card and this one camera I guess?

I just stumbled onto this thread, thanks to a fellow Wyze user. My anecdote:

I have 5 v2 cams, and many a moon ago, all of them handled random microSD cards flawlessly for continuous recording. As firmware updates proceeded and I didn’t necessarily check the recordings because life is boring, it took a while to discover that none of the 5 cameras any more recognized the SD cards; however, they were all since pulled and successfully repurposed, mostly for Raspberry Pi work.

I’ve long been suspicious of the firmware updates, but only recently did I decide to study this more. I bought new 32GB Sandisk cards, and exactly ZERO of the 5 Wyze 2 cams with the latest firmware will recognize them, no matter what I do to format them beforehand. They aren’t recognized at the very start, at insertion, with no use whatsoever. The message is that no card is inserted (despite the truth); therefore nothing can be done at all.

Wyze can argue with me all they want, but I doubt I’ll ever be convinced that this is not due to firmware updates, and I see no evidence they are interested in solving it. Every one of my 5 v2 cams used to work with microSD cards for continuous recording, simple as that. In you want to claim that the v2 cams have eventually since become defective, that I’ll believe. I ordered another 2 v2 cams recently. They had defective sound out of the box, and Wyze told me I’m out of luck on a warranty because they’re no longer made (bought at Amazon which thankfully allowed a return). And since this incident, one of my original 5 has developed… wait for it… a sound defect (recording sounds that simply are not there, likely originating as decaying circuit board components or ground connections).

For the record, the brand new cards (5 so far in a row) that do not work with my 5 cameras are Sandisk Ultra microSDHC UHS-I 32GB cards (“for full HD video”). Thanks for this thread, I will follow.

1 Like

yeah I’d had problems with v2s and cards not being recognized. the solution I found was formatting them in my laptop before putting them in the camera the camera format doesn’t work if it doesn’t recognize the card in the first place so yeah it leads me to believe that the firmware is rather lacking in its ability to handle SD cards

Get TypeApp for Android

Yeah since I can’t format them in the camera itself (used to be able to do that), I use my computer(s) also. Whether using the cards OOTB, or formatting on macOS or Windows, nothing gets them to work.

I had similar issues with my Pan camera except it would periodically work. After the first fail (non Wyze card) I purchased one directly from Wyze just to make sure there could be absolutely no question if my 3rd party card was the issue. After a few months it also was not recognized by the camera…however it still works about half the time.

I’ll just throw this out there FYI.

I have 5 v2s, all with 32 GB SD cards, a couple of weeks ago I noticed 3 of them were not able to show playback. Further investigation revealed they weren’t recognizing the SD cards.

Eventually - the three problems were all SD cards with the WYZE logo. The other two had SanDisc cards, which were continuing to work.

So - all three WYZE cards became ‘unformatted’ within a less than 2 week period (I had checked playback on all five, for an unrelated reason).

My conclusion - WYZE has a problem. In theory I am in an email trouble shooting conversation with Judy from WYZE, however this only happened last Friday (June 26) so my panties are not yet in a bunch.

1 Like

Please post the response you get from WYZE or better yet how about someone form WYZE post on this thread.

1 Like

I have 8 x V3’s and all have the standard Sandisk Ultra 32. No issues apart from one SD card failure, Card was just not working well and very slow. Closer inspection on a computer demonstrated the same problems. Straight to the bin.

Tried a 200gb Sandisk Ultra (10) Micro SD XCI to up the capacity for longer videos - Formatted as exFAT and none of the V3s will even read it. Works in a PC just fine for read and write.

There was no familiar ‘DING DING’ when inserted, so I figured a larger card might mean the camera needs more time to examine the larger SD volume and validate. Sadly no, even quitting the app and rebooting the cam a few times did not help.

There was one good thing that came out of the test, I’m able to run the Wyze app from the phone on my M1 mac natively at full screen. So useful and convenient.

Will definitely try a larger capacity HD (High Endurance) card to see if that works. Based on other users experiences here that seems to be the way to go.

I have a similar problem on my v3. Stopped recognizing any of the 3 cards that I have at home. SanDisk and Samsung. Each of these cards work in a v2 camera that I have so seems that the cards are good. They can work on a Windows laptop as well but the v3 camera is buggy or just broken. Disappointed. Just ordered a new v3 camera for $40 shipped. If that fails then I am done with Wyze forever.

I’ve had this problem with v2 cameras too. Usually immediately after a camera firmware update. I have lost 3 or 4 sd cards from wyze v2 cameras that are no longer usable.

2 Likes

Wyze camera SD card. I have 8 v3 cams all outdoor with silicone boots over them I found the ones tilted down have water inside the sd card slot the slot on all the noneworking ones had completely covered with dirt some how water is the issue. I covered the speaker back side with some plastic wrap and used Dielectric grease on inside slot and inside the plug to handle the water problem so far so good just more cheap China crap. Had to clean with contact cleaned blow out with compressed air in a can, Push Dielectric grease into slot, Use pencil eraser to clean corrosion off sd card. You will see the cards connection get brighter. Blow off with air add a layer of Dielectric grease to the gold connection place back into slot. I did all of thers and also do the power plug with Dielectric grease. I have had two cameras with corrosion on them also. Water is a powerful source and will find its way into anything no matter how " water resistant"" they think there products are. Also water may be coming in from power cord and traveling into camera
. Next time I have a issue with one of these I will put it on fhe bandsaw and cut in half to see what’s up.

1 Like

If you think H²O may be getting in from the cord, make sure to have a drip loop-phone and cable guys taught me that. Prevents water from traveling toward the equipment. Also maybe a bit of silicone caulk might help.

3 Likes

Believe me, there is nothing wrong with most of the cards we used here. It is just problems with wyze cam. I have cards that been working for so long and it is recording 24 hrs daily for many many months and still working. Some cams after a few months they just got fried by the cams. To be honest, I will be staying away from wyze eventually. Not reliable at all. Can’t power cycle them remotely as MOST of the time you will have to be manually unplug and replug for it to work. I am done with wyze cam.

2 Likes

Hi, not perfect but my solution for a hard cycle is to have them plugged into a WYZE remote socket. Turn it off and on, hard reset accomplished. I needed to do that to a finicky range extender as well. Works like a charm!

2 Likes

I just discovered this myself!
I went to check 3 of my Wyze cams SD cards to do a format on them (2 V2 and 1 V3) and all 3 Sandisk 32GB cards are toast.
They all read the same exact number, 28.05GB/29.3GB.
Formatting them shows complete followed by it showing 29.1GB/29.3GB then it goes back to 28.05GB.
Took them out and tried reformatting them in my PC and they failed.
This sucks…what sucks more is Wyze’s typical ignorance on never coming in to give input or even let us know they are looking into it.
Cheap cameras = cheap support.

4 Likes

I tried different brands and I know for a fact that it is not the type of SD cards used. It is the cameras. Don’t think tou will get much out of their tech support. Wyze definitely knew these issues and just kept very quiet of it. I don’t trust this chinese company.

3 Likes

Yeah I was going to buy some of their new pan version 3 cameras but I don’t think I’m going to buy anymore, I’m done.
Especially with all the security risks that they were all quiet about and how some websites now are saying they no longer can recommend Wyze as a reputable company.

Having the exact same issues as everyone here. Wyze is close to losing another customer. I have 8 of their cameras and at least half have run into this issue.

This thread should be pinned.

With that said, the hand picked forum mavens will be the first to tell you uSD card failures are rare provided you buy a quality uSD card.

1 Like

I dunno. I have 7 v3’s for two years now, Only 1 SD card failure and that happened last month. I also have a couple of v3 pros a several other cameras. I have never had to power cycle any of them.