For Clarity on some of my testing related to the lag issues:
- I have used Ring, Arlo, Eufy, and Wyze Cam.
- I have an iPhone and Android. Android is my daily driver
- Android phone is currently running the latest Beta Version of the App and Firmware has been updated on all devices as well.
- iPhone is running the production version of the app.
Here is what I have found with my testing - let me repeat my testing…
- The iPhone does Notify faster than the Android. However, when I add the ADB command to the mix the notifications are relatively similar, except Android is always a few seconds later.
- For me - Ring was terrible. I had a run of no alerts, black screens, and a slew of other issues. I am sure some of those has been corrected by now. But the notification issue existed as it does with other Android Apps. iPhone, was able to provide the notifications, whenever RIng would push it.
- Arlo, was fine, but notifications were delayed as well. The Doze issue existed on the Arlo’s as well. When I unlocked the phone, I got flooded with alerts.
- Eufy, seems to work very well when it comes to notifications on both iPhone and Android. They seem to have worked around the Android Doze issue. Also note: Eufy is a Local processing device - no Cloud unless you want it. So this is not really a fair test as all the others are not local.
- Wyze, great product for the price. Has the Android delayed notification issue as with other apps. But when unlocked and with the latest firmware and beta software, my alerts are coming more frequently now, at times before Eufy (but not always). iPhone is better at the notification times. I have run the ADB command on the Android phone and the Alerts are coming as indicated above in this post and a previous post.
To do a real test, I decided to deactivate the Cam Plus on my V2, V3, and the WCO. I made sure it would notify on all motion (Same as my Eufy Doorbell). The V3 flooded me with Alerts where Eufy, which is setup the same way, did not. the V2 also provided a lot of alerts, but not as many as the V3, the WCO, well lets just say it worked but infrequently because of the cool down period when not using Cam Plus.
Adding Cam Plus to the mix and activating the AI processing and filtering for person detection does add sometime to the notification, but I am still experiencing relatively quick notifications, understanding all of the processing which needs be done when using AI. Eufy will alert faster when you turn on human only notificartions, but remember that Eufy does local process on the base station.
So I guess what I am saying, local processing is always best, but Wyze is able to hold its own given the same conditions and setup as the other camera’s. iPhone seems to be a better choice for notifications, but as indicated, my daily driver is an Android and I like the flexibility of the Android.
I think we all are saying that Wyze needs to get this worked out and provide an update which gets around the Doze issue and speed up the notifications. But for me, the ADB command works until it gets corrected. Apple controls it HW and SW, therefore the notifications are not an issue for them. I can tell you, the iPhone does notify me quicker than the Android. but by only a couple of seconds or so when the ADB command is in place.