WYZE Cam V2 turning off randomly

Firmware installed 4.9.4.28
Android 9

Cam turns off randomly and I restart it using the power button in the software.

Anyone found a cause for this or have a fix?

Thanks.

Do you have a shortcut to turn it off? Have you checked the cable connected to the back of it to make sure it is properly seated?

No shortcut.
Cable is secure.
:slight_smile:

Is it the default cable or an after market?

Can you please provide a screenshot of what it looks like in the app the next time it happens?

1 Like

Default cable and power cube.

I’ll do that.
I should have also noted that the unit is 4 days old.

The reason I ask is the “Turn off” button in the app is an IoT channel command, and not related to the power source itself. After pressing the button, the screen should have a power button graphic, and the message, “The device is turned off”.

I’ll pay more attention next time it happens.
I’m sure it was off because motion was not triggered even though I passed in front of it many times.
Thanks

1 Like

did you happen to check your motion detection settings? maybe push notifications are off. when you turned it back on were you able to review any footage?

Push notifications is off but there were no recordings at all for about 7 hours.There were numerous cases of activity that should have been recorded.

Is Detects Motion and/or Detects Sound turned on in Event Recording settings for that camera?
Is there a Detection Schedule set?

Check Sensitivity and Detection Zone in the Detection settings for that camera.

My cam connects, and notifies, but only plays 2-3 seconds when I try to live stream.

Yes motion detection is turned on.
Everything was working fine then a couple of times when I checked it the camera was off.

Have you been able to get that screenshot, yet? Please post it here if possible.

It hasn’t done it since Friday afternoon.
If it does it again I’ll grab a screenshot.

1 Like

Hi, new user here. I have 3 Wyze cameras and two of them frequently turn off by themselves. When I open the app and click the camera, I’m greeted by the power button and a message that “The device is turned off”, as described by @DreadPirateRush above.

In the few months I’ve had them, I’d had the chance to do a couple of firmware upgrades. The previous firmware version did this also.
All 3 cameras are set to record to local storage 24x7.
“Schedule” = All Day
“Detects motion” = on
Wi-Fi signal strength is 82% or better on all 3 cameras.
Local storage in all 3 cameras is this SD card:
Samsung 32GB 95MB/s (U1) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME32GA/AM)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWN9Q99/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I “view playback” through the app, chunks of time are missing from the recordings. (usually until I turn the camera back on)
so I don’t think it’s a false alert from the app. They really do seem to be turning off. I don’t know why they’re turning off without user interaction.

What additional information can I provide to help troubleshoot this?
Thanks!

3 Likes

My cameras still turn off randomly. Why?

Here are the troubleshooting guides:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/categories/360000596591-Troubleshooting

If that doesn’t solve it, keep in mind that this is primarily a user-to-user forum. If you don’t get help here from the community, file a support request including log files. That will ensure that the logs are captured. You might want to submit the ticket right away because there’s somewhat of a backlog. You can always let them know it’s already resolved when they contact you.

The same is happening to me. I have several v2 cams. They’ve been rock solid since I bought them until the last few weeks (maybe couple months?). I originally thought my weekly reboot schedule was a cause, but since disabling it, it still happens. This has to be something wrong with the latest firmware or the apps. Nothing has changed with the cameras. There’s also a Reddit post about this problem (not my thread). Please look into this.

All of my cameras are using the stock hardware (plug, cable, etc), except some have a USB extension cord, but this is happening to my cameras that don’t have one as well. And again, they’ve been fine until recently and I’ve changed nothing.

2 Likes