Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Sense question

@Loki

Well, I was trying to convince you that you don’t need to turn it off for the reason that you stated (heat control and camera longevity) because the OFF state will not affect either of those. However, if you understand that and still wish to turn it off, I won’t be trying to change your mind on that.

Agree to disagree.

Prior to @gemniii’s post, I had not seen any objective evidence that OFF does not reduce heat output, and so my comment was somewhat speculative. Now that he did the experiment, I no longer have any doubt.

We do try to deal with facts around here, and I can only try to help based on the facts that I know. If it gives you peace of mind to switch it off, that is your prerogative. You own your camera, not me.

How are you so sure that his experiment was done properly? And based off of one person as opposed to multiple tests being done over a period of time?

Like I wrote - it was a quick test - provide funding and I’ll do more.
What numbers do you provide for your “feels like”?

I think we can leave it at that.

@gemniii

Like I wrote - it was a quick test - provide funding and I’ll do more.

If I had the funding, I’d do it myself.

What numbers do you provide for your “feels like”?

I’d say better than your “feels like”

@Loki

I think we can leave it at that.

I think we should.

1 Like

Hi, I work with many professional brands of security cameras. Unless Wyze has some new technology that they developed just for these two products to work together, then I’d say that the camera will most likely need to be left on for Sense to fully work correctly. There would be lag issues with a “sleep mode” and the beginning of your recording would probably be missing. Leaving a camera on will not over heat it as they require such little power, We will know more when we receive a Sense unit for testing. I’ll post results here in this thread for you as soon as I have them.

Please understand that using the term “quite a bit” is not a scientific term, so what it means to you is not what it would mean to someone else. I leave all my cameras on all the time, as that is how they were designed to be used, and I have never felt heat generated from any of them. You would need to test your cameras with a Infrared Thermometer for anyone else to know exactly how warm something is or isn’t. My Wyze cameras measure 67.2 degrees F being left on 24/7. For reference, the wall a foot away measures 62.4 degrees F. If your cameras are generating a lot of heat then I would get them repaired/replaced, as they should not ever get very hot to the touch.

That is a myth. There are no computers built after 1993 that have “sudden jolts” of power. This myth actually started because of the design of older power switches. The inrush current of all modern day computers electronics is so small, that it is barely perceivable and certainly not an issue for longevity. All modern day computers use inrush current limiters via negative temperature coefficient (NTC) thermistors. Leaving a computer on all the time, however, will decrease a computers longevity, as the heat built up inside will dry out the computers capacitors over time. Thermal cycling is not an issue. but leaving a computer running will always generate more heat stress and use more energy than turning it on/off.

Good to know … it makes sense. It’s been a long time since I owned a desktop … and yes, I remember the desktop days before 1993. I also ran a programming BBS with a cradle modem back in the day. Things change.

@AngelArs

Hi, I work with many professional brands of security cameras. Unless Wyze has some new technology that they developed just for these two products to work together, then I’d say that the camera will most likely need to be left on for Sense to fully work correctly. There would be lag issues with a “sleep mode” and the beginning of your recording would probably be missing. Leaving a camera on will not over heat it as they require such little power, We will know more when we receive a Sense unit for testing. I’ll post results here in this thread for you as soon as I have them.

No need to, I’m pretty much going to get them anyways when they’re readily available and can watch youtube reviews if I want.

Please understand that using the term “quite a bit” is not a scientific term, so what it means to you is not what it would mean to someone else.

Which is the reason why I used it in the first place. I didn’t intend to be scientific with it at all otherwise I probably would’ve gone in depth about it.

I leave all my cameras on all the time, as that is how they were designed to be used, and I have never felt heat generated from any of them.

Yeah I knew there’d be someone else who’d make a comment about this. It just sounds subjective to me regardless. I just prefer to leave them off when I’m not using them for peace of mind.

@Vince

To close the loop on this, I did a little test just now. I can confirm that if the camera associated with a contact sensor is in OFF mode, then no video clip is recorded when the contact sensor is opened. The camera must be on for the clip to be recorded.

I believe this is as it should be, because by turning the camera to OFF state, you are asking that it be disabled from performing any recording or live viewing until turned back ON. That’s pretty much the whole purpose of the OFF function.

@Loki

To close the loop on this, I did a little test just now. I can confirm that if the camera associated with a contact sensor is in OFF mode, then no video clip is recorded when the contact sensor is opened. The camera must be on for the clip to be recorded.
I believe this is as it should be, because by turning the camera to OFF state, you are asking that it be disabled from performing any recording or live viewing until turned back ON. That’s pretty much the whole purpose of the OFF function.

Which is why I originally inquired about a sleep mode functionality of some sort rather than the off state. Knowing what this thread has gone through though, I have my doubts on it being a possibility, so it’s just a pipe dream.

1 Like

I am a newbie to the forum. But after reading all 30 posts here, @vince is looking for a feature like the camera will sleep all the time until the sense is triggered by a motion. When the sense is triggered, the camera wakes up and starts recording.
Here is my 2 cents:
This feature is mostly used in wire-free cameras to save power consumption, as wyze is connected to a power source, it doesn’t matter if the camera sleeps or awake. May be with IFTTT some body can try a recipe to do this.
However, note that to synchronize all these events to trigger, you have to expect a lag in recording. I have experience with this lag with one of my wire-free cameras. Sometimes by the time camera starts to record the subject is out of it’s zone and all you get is a recording with no event.
Hope I haven’t confused it more than what it is.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: