Wyze Cam Outdoor V3 (Battery Cam v2) Ideas

Until this happens, I’d suggest that you could paint the camera with a primer made for plastic and then paint the 2nd coat with your house paint. One example of the primer:

https://smile.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-213517T-Specialty-Appliance-Plastic/dp/B0019K43WG/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+primer+paint&qid=1595031430&sr=8-4

There are spray versions as well.

2 Likes

This seems pretty cool :slight_smile: I’ll add it to the list of ideas at the top. Not sure I would actually paint it but some others might want to paint their camera.

I have covered 2 Wyze V2 cameras with masking tape and painted over the tape with black paint. It has the advantage that you can later remove the tape and go back to the “clean” camera.

1 Like

It would be great if Wyze offered an outdoor cam with a small solar panel on top of the housing, so you’d never have to manually recharge the battery for a cam in an area with enough sunlight.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea! I would like to see a solar panel option as well!

I imagine it’s going to be one of the first two 3rd party hacks (the other being a weather proofed USB cable extension).

Edit: see also

Built in solar is possible. That would have really excited customers.

I’ve had v2 cameras outside for over a year with no problems. Being cordless would have made it easier to mount cameras away from the house and facing the house but changing batteries is a pain. Having external solar with a weather proof plug or built in solar would have been nice. All the functionality of the indoor v2 is still desired. As others mentioned I’d also be interested in local storage for all the cameras and hope the wyzedrive project gets started up again.

1 Like

Totally agree - need a power plug in option in V2. Like the battery for those places where power is not available but much prefer to power it just like a Wyze Cam v2 for the locations I have access to power.

Pain in the backside having to go up a ladder every time you need to charge the battery.

Also with power then continuous recording shouldn’t be a problem.

Finally, also like the idea of having a direct WiFi connection for the base station. Should offer both, Ethernet or WiFi. Understand the advantages of Ethernet where it’s easily accessible but that won’t always be the case.

Also needs ptz what are they thinking? Would also be nice if their base station could run their worthless window and motion sensors, that work so intermittently that they are worthless. Their cameras work well but the exception they’re not recognizing the sd cards bought from WYZE. Disgraceful.

3 Likes

Are there any plans for an all matte black version of the outdoor cam?

1 Like

Just a suggestion, instead of having the outdoor cam store continuous for 10 hours on an SD card or only 12 seconds per event.
Crate an option that will allow the event / motion recording to store say 10 minutes or 30 minutes to the SD card at each event.
This way the battery will last longer than 10 hours continuous use and less than the 3 - 6 month event recording only. Still giving the user the flexibility and security with the outdoor camera being in use.

Joe D

1 Like

Welcome to the community! That’s a great idea! Thank you :slight_smile:

I’d like to see a easy way to mount the outdoor cam the way V2 can with its magnetic mount.

My second story home would benefit if I could mount the outdoor cam on the exterior window for easy access to charge it when needed. I have a finder block home so these screws don’t work for me.

Love the cam so far though!

2 Likes

Well priced outdoor camera with a versatile magnetic base, you say?

1 Like

Video Doorbell

@pritel Welcome! The Wyze video doorbell is currently in testing.

4 Likes

It would be nice if there was a small solar panel attachment for the Wyze Cam Outdoor. This may help with battery life. It would be cool if it plugged into the power charging port and sat right in top with not much weight.

2 Likes

THIS PLEASE! I was extremely disappointed with the release of the WCO… I was expecting basically a V2 but weatherproof…

Don’t get me wrong, the WCO does have it’s place and uses and I may end up getting one or two BUT I would have preferred a weatherproof V2 that I can plug-in and have continous record.

In fact… 1 through 6 under the Important Things from the OP of this post hit the nail square on the head for what I am looking for and need!

To add I think an ‘option’ to be able to use PoE for the power source would be a huge plus…

2 Likes

I just got my WCO the other day, and I am happy to report that I was able to plug in the power cord and it continued to function. Of course this does require removing the rubber plug protecting the USB port and power switch from the weather, so you will want to mount it where it is not likely to get wet. Not sure if the black cowboy hat will do much to protect it from the rain :wink:

And it does seem to support request #4, being wired AND have the internal battery as a backup in case of power failure.

1 Like

The issue is that Wyze has said it is NOT meant to be plugged in all the time and will void the warranty and that leaving it plugged in will overcharge the battery and degrade the battery as it does not have the overcharge protection built in…

Love the hat btw :rofl: nice touch :ok_hand:

1 Like