Wyze Cam Outdoor V3 (Battery Cam v2) Ideas

In the post you responded to I sad, “Under a soffit with no case at all:slight_smile:

1 Like
  • I’d like the cameras to be wired AND have the internal battery as a backup in case of power failure (or a thief cutting your power cable).

• I’d also like a more secure way to attach the camera to its mount, a simple magnet means that they are very easy to steal (even if after that they’ll be unable to use the camera).

• But most of all I’d like the base to be more of a DVR. I don’t want a 32 GB max micro SD, I want an USB connector where I can plug:

• A card reader (to use a SD or micro SD card)
  • A PenDrive
  • An external HDD (mechanical or SSD)
    I’d go with the HDD option, but if you want to spend as few cash as possible, you can use the other options.
    This enables the possibility of recording videos of ANY lenght (but I’d still want to have per camera options like ‘On (Motion / Person / Sound) Record a (configurable lenght) video’ / ‘On (schedule) record continuous video’, etc.).

Being able to remotely access the base through Wyze’s app to watch the locally recorded videos would be the icing on the cake!

3 Likes

The base does, in fact, have a USB connector. I don’t think the purpose has been identified yet.

USB C? Otherwise mass storage dreams are iffy?

They don’t recommend keeping it plugged in because the weather proofing would be compromised with this version of the WCO.

1 Like

I have two outdoor cams ordered but I am wondering now what I will even do with them since they must be recharged. Wyze has a completely different understanding of this market than me. It seems a battery-only product is a niche versus the much wider demand for a fully powered camera. I’m 100% confused why they would do this (almost as confused as by the addition of masks & thermometers).

Would love to see:

• more than 32 storage
  • local HDD storage
  • mesh wifi between cameras
  • reduces false alarms on movement triggered by shifts in daylight
2 Likes

I know. I know one person who got Blinks for monitoring the outside of his apartment. I expressed doubts at the time about battery life but he was unconcerned. Sure enough it’s about a year later, he hasn’t gone through the trouble of reaching them to charge/reinstall (he’s partially disabled), and he has now missed MANY package deliveries and more than a few thefts.

Battery powered outdoor cameras are like pre-pandemic home gym equipment - good intentions, except you can’t even hang clothes on them when you stop using them.

3 Likes

They should come up to today’s technology and make outdoor PTZ camera not stationary. Their motion sensors and window sensors stink, they work when they want to constantly dropping out only to reappear working days later. Fix you junk sensors, bridges, your cameras work pretty well but other products for the lack of a nice word BLOW

1 Like

Hmmm, I have to say my sensors work flawlessly. Have been using both the contact and proximity.

2 Likes

Yeah unfortunately my sensors have been offline and online back and forth for about 2 weeks. I just pulled them off my windows and doors the other day and threw them out…

I like the battery only for places without power. I don’t understand why Wyze wouldn’t make the option to plug it in as well! It’s stupid to have a camera right next to a power outlet and not plug it in! Thanks for the ideas! I think the mesh WiFi between cameras is kinda cool! And I agree they should leave the PIR detector in the camera to reduce false alerts but allow you to plug it in. Basically what Arlo, Ring and other companies do. One camera that can be battery, plugged in, or solar powered.

1 Like

Hi jls4wheeler,
Thanks for creating this list! I was thinking of creating something similar myself. I agree with your “Important things” 100%!
I was disappointed after waiting for such a long time that the WCO V1 did not support the features listed in your “Important things” I would be willing to pay double the current cost for the camera if it had those features!
I also agree with your “should have” and if necessary would be willing to pay more for these features (e.g., A WCO V2+)
Thanks Again for creating this list!

1 Like

Your welcome! I’m glad you agree with me :slight_smile: hopefully Wyze will make a V2 sometime down the road!

These are good ideas! Vote from me :slight_smile: I hope Wyze will look at this and create a V2 Outdoor Camera! I was a little disappointed when I saw the Outdoor Cam specs they released. I don’t like that it can’t be plugged in and doesn’t have continuous recording.

2 Likes

I’d like to see the same camera as the battery version, just without the battery and a fixed cable for weatherproofing. And of course, 24/7 recording.

I know many would like to see other improved features, but this seems like a simple request that could be done with the current product without much R&D. Perhaps Wyze already has this in the works. If so, it would be really nice see an official response from Wyze.

Please vote on this topic if you feel the same way, thanks!

3 Likes

While I would like other features the most important for me is being able to plug it in and have 24/7 recording. Hopefully Wyze will do this in the future.

1 Like

And 2K resolution minimum. And pan/tilt.

Also, a pony. :slight_smile:

I am very excited to purchase an outdoor camera and have waited for this with great anticipation. I realize this may seem like a strange “wish” but I am all about aesthetics when it comes to the outside of my home- you know "curb appeal.’ Would it be possible to make the outdoor camera case out of a material that could be painted the same color as the exterior of your home, to blend in and not make it stand out so much?

1 Like

Until this happens, I’d suggest that you could paint the camera with a primer made for plastic and then paint the 2nd coat with your house paint. One example of the primer:

https://smile.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-213517T-Specialty-Appliance-Plastic/dp/B0019K43WG/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+primer+paint&qid=1595031430&sr=8-4

There are spray versions as well.

2 Likes

This seems pretty cool :slight_smile: I’ll add it to the list of ideas at the top. Not sure I would actually paint it but some others might want to paint their camera.