Wyze Cam Outdoor - Not recording motion - Troubleshoot with WYZE

The cam gives notice of motion detected, but no event is recorded.
I will try installing an SD card into the cam and see if it works. I have an SD card in the base which I mistakenly thought would record from the cam.

Here’s a screen shot…sdc zero. Been in base since I got it. Tried all kinds of settings. Zippo on card. I was gonna pitch this cam but wife wouldn’t let me.
Never mind. Seems I don’t know how to send pic…but card is surely blanko.

Make sure you have no filters applied in the event tab then triple check the event tab for the clip. If you click the notification, where does it take you? You wouldn’t get a motion notification if there wasn’t a motion event somewhere.

Edit/ for clarification, when you say “notice of motion detected”, is that an app notification or the green boxes on coverage as you are watching it?

You got it!!
In the event tab, it was only looking at 2 cameras, not three.
Life is good again.
Thanks!

Is anyone from Wyze support watching this thread? There still seems to be a lot of people getting pretty poor performance out of WCO. I have instances where all four of my WCO units don’t catch animals or people passing through my yard. I have instances of trespassing I need to capture on video to report but I can’t because WCO often misses these incidents. My only guess is that the detection range for the cameras is extremely limited or that they just go into a standby mode and never wake up. I hope there are updates around the corner to fix all the problems or hopefully a new camera in development that does not have these problems and some sort of trade in upgrade process for existing customers.

1 Like

I don’t want to get into a week long thread here but I will share my 2 cents on the WOC. Because of the time it takes to wake this camera up your subject that you wished got recorded is probably long gone. I have a WOC , a Pan Cam and a W3 all working together. The W3 picks up instantly and is continuously recording. After 6-9 seconds, depending if it is a vehicle or person the Pan cam kicks in, this is just do to when the subject comes into view. Now here is where the WOC comes in. The pan cam and WOC are looking at the same thing from the same distance but it takes the WOC 6 to 10 seconds to wake up and by the time it happens most often I only see the rear of the vehicle or the person walking away. I have tested this multiple times with the same results. This is why I bought a couple more of the W3’s, the WOC may have a place it works but I have not yet found one that I can depend on.

1 Like

If the object you want to record is walking or moving at even a moderate pace you can forget about recording in on the WOC. This has been a problem from the beginning because of the lag from detection to recording and you have to adjust were you locate it to a place that it’s not important to record anything for several seconds.

Hi there, your video appears to be only an image. How do I play the video? Thanks!

1 Like

Let’s try these…

https://streamable.com/shah2v

2 Likes

So I guess they will never fix these issues considering the thread started on August 2020

My issue is simple and I guess many others have the same problem.
Camera doesn’t wake up when there’s motion (Viewing = 100 Sensitivity = 100) If I view the livestream, then yeah it detects motion as it should, after closing the app WCO just goes to hibernate or go to sleep forever. I need the camera to turn on and detect motion when it’s looking a bit far away (top down)

The other option is just having this thing recoding 24/7 but battery will die quick and what’s the point of getting WCO then, a v3 would be better except I don’t want a 10 meters extension cord running outside.

This camera could’ve been something amazing… I bought it a couple of weeks ago, finally installed it and I’m just disappointed.

Yup, same here. Bought mine a month ago and have been hugely disappointed with the detection. They are almost useless.

Consider the solar cell option… Search forums for a link to successful options available.

I ended up installing a good IR illuminator light under my walkout deck. I have three WOC cameras with night vision turned on, but with the built-in IR lights turned off all in range of the illuminator. Without the burden of having to fire up the internal IR illumination, the motion detection seems to be much more reliable. I have lots of hits now from our nighttime visitors including coyote, deer, porcupine and bobcats. The battery charges seem to last longer without the internal light use as well. I’m actually pretty happy with this set-up. :slightly_smiling_face:

No joke, I just went out to my yard and there are the remains of a turkey right in front of one of my cameras. No recordings or events of how it got there. It wasn’t there yesterday on the camera and it is here today. That is just how bad Wyze Cam Outdoor is at detecting motion and events. A turkey had enough time to be killed and ripped apart right in front of one of my cameras and it was never recorded. Wyze, please spend some time on making this product better or release a better product and let us upgrade at a discounted rate. I am explaining to my fiancée that WCO is more for show and a visual deterrent than anything else since I cannot rely on it.

Fully agree. I just spent 1/2 grilling in front of my camera and never did detect. Worked great when I first installed but has worsened over time. It seems it especially worsened once Wyze started focusing on their subscription/fees for storage and the subsequent software updates. Absolutely no confidence in the WOC now. Seems my Cam 2 is not as effective at detecting motion with recent software upgrades.

Amen brother, amen

Yeah, still a problem. I have four WOCs that for the second time in 30 days all stopped recording events. Quickly losing faith in the Wyze ecosystem.

I quit even trying to get my WOC to function properly. I look at it this way, I spent $85.00 for a $50.00 camera because I had to set a Wyze Pan cam next to it to make sure I captured what needed to be recorded. Sometimes it will record a car in my drive and then 20 minutes later bingo nothing. So I go to the pan cam which gave me a notification and yes there was indeed something there. I have watched every video and changed every setting all to no avail.

Here is a new one. Was just checking my WOC and it said it was not connected to a base station so I tried to connect it and got nothing. I give up.

Have 3 indoor Wyze Cam 2s and 3 new Wyze Cam v3s - About 6 weeks ago, they all stopped recording events of any length. After contact Customer Support some 22 times and going back and forth they said they can’t fix it. What? Wyze’s customer service has gone straight downhill this year.

Exactly! The Wyze ecosystem and customer service is useless! Unfortunately, Wyze’s response is that there is nothing they can do. They will find out soon enough that their customers won’t be coming back.

1 Like