Wyze Cam Outdoor - Battery life - Troubleshoot with WYZE

Thanks, I’ll try that…once I charge it again.

do you use any 3rd party app to access the camera, such as alexa, google, tinycam ?

if not, and if this behavior continues, you should reach out to support. This is not normal.

Although the WCO is a device recognized by Alexa, I have never used the interface. On the off chance that I check the live stream, it is through the WYZE app. I activate/deactivate motion detection from Smartthings via IFTTT. That’s it. I did submit this to support…ticket #145175, but have yet to receive a response.

I was thinking the same thing… I get months out of my cameras but don’t run with IR lights on either.

Well, I disabled the IR. Charged up the camera last evening. It’s now at 55%. No recordings.

Are you on the latest release or beta firmware? That is not normal

V4.17.1.35 which, I believe, is the most current version.

It sounds like a less extreme version of the issue I had. They replaced my camera.

I have two of the outdoor cams, one if which was part of the original batch released, but it was the later one that had the issues.

When I first activated my first outdoor camera, the battery lasted almost 4 months. Lately it has been less than 3 weeks between 100% charged and zero. A second outdoor camera, which has not yet been mounted outside has also gone from 100% charged to 20% in just a few weeks. I have hardly ever live streamed the cameras and they are not detecting motion more than a few times a week. It seems that the battery life diminished greatly AFTER one of the recent updates.

I have -4- in all & yes, they are draining a lot faster than they use to
I am using the Wasserstein solar panel on the one which is the hardest to reach & this use to maintain very well but here lately, even this camera can’t keep up

Good advice, but why has this important partial remedy not been prominently posted on the WCO forums ??? The biggest negative on the WCOs is of course miserable battery life

Not sure what the difference is, but my battery life has not been terrible. it has been a couple of months since a last recharge and my battery is at 79%. However, the camera is not hooked up with CamPlus. That may be the issue. My Detection setting is set to 100 for distance, 100 for sensitivity, no detection zone, and a 1 minute cool down.

1 Like

I have cam plus on my Outdoor cams and it has not caused any battery issues. I’ve had some of my outdoor cameras since August and the most I’ve had to charge a single camera since then is 2, maybe 3 times.

1 Like

That’s good to know. I have 6 CamPlus licenses, currently being used elsewhere. :slight_smile:

My Second WCO is down to 45% and has been there since November / December. Same settings as the one mentioned earlier.

I have two Outdoor cams, one being an early release and the second being part of the first regular batch shipped. Both were on Cam Plus. The second started acting up after that one update and was eventually replaced. Based on that limited sample of two I suspect they may have had a bad batch. Both my Outdoor cams have not been charged for 45+ days and are at about 80% charge now. Both still on Cam Plus.

2 Likes

Good point, both of mine were from the early adopters batch. So it could be faulty Battery or devices in the newer batches.

All of mine were from the early adopter batch as well. 2 kits the first day they could be ordered and 3 additional cameras the day additional cameras could be ordered. Maybe the later deliveries have some physical battery issues?

I’ve pretty much given up on it. It lasts at most, two days. Motion detection on for just a few hours. Have never heard back from Wyze on my trouble ticket. Very poor support.

They eventually replaced mine, but it did take a while to get in contact with them.

@blhinman , I’ve heard from multiple people that they get little response to online tickets, but if you call them their support and service is very good. If you have not called them, you may want to try that.

1 Like