I was excited to see that the tracking number finally updated from “Pending Delivery Date” to Delivered. I then proceeded to get the box of the front stoop and set this bad boy up. Same simple/ish setup process, not bad. Messed around with it for a bit, then left it alone for the night.
After waking up, I decided that today would be a good day to test it outside. The cam and the base were all plugged in overnight. The cam’s battery should have been charged by now making this a great opportunity to check out the distance and outdoor positioning. I then tried to pull up the cam in the app. No luck. Made sure the cam was on, yup. Check base station, no good, No lights, no response from sync button. No response from a power cycle. No response from the reset procedure. Just dead.
FML, Now I have to go through the Support process.