Wyze Cam Outdoor 4.17.1.290 and Base Station 4.16.2.37 Released - 11/17/21

Simply the base is awake and waiting for something to happen , with a V2 or V3 the camera is awake and waiting for something to happen , both using power , the wyze outdoor Cam is not using power not sending anything to the base just basically setting dormant until it detects motion

What is the micro SD card slot on the camera for?
The micro SD card slot on the camera is meant for the time lapse and scheduled recording features.
This is meant to save videos that you intend to shoot with the camera such as a specific task continuously recorded over a couple of hours or monitoring a remote area without WiFi.
This is not meant for constant continuous recording like with Wyze Cam v2.
What is the micro SD card slot on the base station for?
The micro SD card slot on the base station is meant for a backup of the 12-second Event Videos.
This is a good feature to use if you are concerned about the camera becoming lost, stolen, or damaged where it is mounted.

Continuously recording to a micro SD card like Wyze Cam v2 will make the battery life extremely short.
Because of this, we did not build this feature and Wyze Cam v2 is still the best option for this use case.
However, we did build a ā€œScheduled Recordingā€ feature where you can schedule specific times for the camera to continuously record to its local micro SD card
or record when PIR is triggered though this will reduce battery life.

Thanks for the extended explanations here, @HDRock. I donā€™t believe that I had ever heard any details concerning the on-cam storage card. To me it almost seemed like a ā€œfor future useā€ boondoggle.

I understand the paradigm of how a purpose-built base facilitates active power-saving logic that a standard Wi-Fi router wouldnā€™t. Thereā€™s still no excuse for the app lacking playback with the hub being microSD expanded, howeverā€¦ :wink:

I have no idea why they do not have access from the app to the outdoor base SD card .
I thought it was pretty lame from the get go and I still do

Your better off to buy on Amazon and get giastone micro sd card 32gb.the app store is not updated,do not use,also alot of customers have had bad luck with wyze sd card I would not buy it

I donā€™t have any problem with any of the SD cards I have , wyze or any other brand , thatā€™s not what we are talking about anyway , we are talking about having access to the SD card in the outdoor base station through the app , I thought that was kind of clear

I guess when the time comes take the card out and read it its not an issue with performance