Wyze Cam Outdoor: 3 weeks battery life

I wouldn’t think so but I will let another member answer that as I have read here about the V3 not having a real long range. Mine is less than 20 feet away so I have had no issues. Or you could did around the forum and see if you could find the range comments.

Thank you! Appreciated.

There is something in place to prevent continuous charging.

Shortly after reaching 100%, the battery will be cut off from continuous charging. This is based on my experience.

Isaiah - So after reaching 100% and battery is cut off, it will be using power from the electrical outlet 100%?

The battery is never cut off. The recharge is cut off. The WCO only runs off of the battery. I left it plugged in for several days. The battery hit 100%, and stayed there for about 12 hours. Several days later I checked, the battery was below 90%.

I left it hooked up until below 80%, then stopped by experiment.

Understood. Thank you!

Antonius, I just ordered my WCO. Do you just plug it into a USB port to charge it? How long does it typically take to charge?

Sorry for the late reply I have had issues logging into the forum all day. Yes I use the supplied power cable and power adapter and plug it into the USB port and the power adapter into any house outlet. If you did not get the power adapter you can plug the cam into the USB port on the side of the base. I usually charge the cams when at 50 % in about 1.5 hours. I charged one the other day that was at 45% and it took about 2 hours. I think if the battery is really low like 0-20% it will take about 4 hours or so.

You plug the USB to micro cable into the camera. You can use the provided cable, using the base station if you want. I have used other charging cables I own, via wall plug adapters, USB hubs, and even a portable power bank

Re-upping this because I’ve had significant improvement in the battery life. I was going from about 4-5 days to now 4-5 weeks with between 44-63% battery remaining (depending on which camera - driveway gets more notifications and is the lower of the two).

I’ve left my base WiFi connected (couldn’t move in to router, too weak of signal), but am up to date with all firmware updates. I did also try charging them using the base instead of the supplied wall charger. Lastly, the weather has greatly improved since having some of these issues, which may have played a role here as well.

All-in-all, I’m getting much closer to the expected 1-2 month battery life and am finally pleased with these devices.

The expected battery life is 90 days, not 30 to 60.

As long as you are just watching grass grow, 90 days is doable.

If you actually want to monitor an area where people and other movement is ongoing, then 30 days is about the limit.

Seems that solar chargers might trick the camera to allow continuous charging. The camera stops recharging from portable batteries after reaching 100%, you have to disconnect, then reconnect, the battery to trigger recharging again.

Thank you. I installed my Wyze Outdoor Cam on April 10th (23 days) and I’m at 73% now. If the battery drains on a linear scale it’s dropping about 1% per day.

Well, that was short lived.

Charged my cams from 10% to full yesterday (90/92%) and they’re both already down to 20% today for no apparent reason.

Really getting fed up with these things.

Several observations.

Turn the camera off when recharging it. Somehow leaving it on impacts the longevity.

The battery percentage display does not appear to track consistently. Sometimes it is stuck at the same number for an extended period of time, then randomly updates: for example stuck at 90% for 36 hours, then shows 83% next time you check.

But yes, one time I also experienced the 1 day plunge like you did. I have also seen 10% or greater 1 day plunges. I have not experienced that since turning turning the cams off while recharging.

Tried this over the weekend, no luck. Down to 20% and a low battery warning after 24 hrs.

Send in a support request for a replacement. They slowly respond. Will ask for some information and provide an older Firmware version.

In the meantime, one other thing to try. Fully recharge the cam again. This time, keep it inside and place it close to a wall, facing the wall. Hopefully the battery will drain 1% a day.

No luck. Overnight I’m down to 42% and expect to get a low battery warning by mid-day.

I submitted logs through the app for each camera and will be following up with support regarding them.

I had one good stretch for both cams where they lasted almost two months, and since then they’re both dying off in 24 hours. It is strange that they’re both exhibiting similar behaviour at the same time. I’d bet it has something to do with the base station.

Low wi-fi signal at the cam will run the battery down fast. Three of my outdoor cams have a full 3 bar signal, the 4th on has two bars. I usually charge them when they get to 40 % which is 2-2.5 months and yes they record many events a day. I’ve had the cams since October 2020, maybe they are not ready to break yet ??

In my test last night, the devices are about a meter from the base. Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be a signal issue, I’m thinking there’s an issue in the base.

Since my base is connected via ethernet I can’t comment any more on signals. I know you are connected via wi-fi but I have never tried that because I don’t need to. The cam with the two bars is 40 feet away and the signal is going through four walls one of which has the house electrical breaker panel in it.