Wyze Cam on a Birdfeeder

The male came back for another meal this evening. The female can be seen flying around, but she doesn’t land on the feeder. Her tail feathers make a brief appearance as she perched herself on the bracket that holds the feeder.

Male Cardinal feasts

2 Likes

Yikes, I’m not sure I want to find out what happens when the feeder runs out of seed. It is close now, but I’ll fill it up in the morning. The House Finches are the biggest chow hounds at my feeder by far. The only birds that consistently get the House Finches off of the feeder are Nuthatches.

1 Like

Just read through this great thread, lots of nice pics! I’ve been using the cams for birds for a few years now. I have one inside a bird house that usually gets wrens every year, one inside a feeder I 3D printed and others I move around. Here’s a video of the cam inside the feeder. It has to use a fisheye lens since it’s only a couple inches from the birds.

5 Likes

Here’s another pic of a coopers hawk about to steal baby robins we were watching with a V3 cam. I have the video of the theft of the babies and on Reddit it had nearly 3/4 of a million views.

4 Likes

Wow! Nice shots!
I’m glad that I learned how to re-focus my cam. I soon wanted to do my 2nd one since the cam I conveniently used has very poor audio. I may do it soon as I am setting up my winter feeders using the distortion free cam.

1 Like

This female Cardinal sure does look great in the sun. I bumped into one, maybe this one, while on my morning walk today. Her buff brown color looks amazing in full on sunlight. She had a young/small female with her in this clip. You might catch a glimpse of it flying around. Unfortunately the young one never landed on the feeder and stayed out of view while on the ground.

Female Northern Cardinal

2 Likes

Would you believe I filled my birdfeeder yesterday morning? I am shocked at how fast the birds are going through the seed these days. Prior to the “fancy” seed mix I could go 2-3 weeks. Once I started using the “fancy” seed mix I’ve been averaging 5-days. I think I’ll be lucky to get 3-days out of this last fill. I’m going to let it go until Thursday. I’m curious what the birds will do if/when it is empty.

It is mostly the finches that just can’t get enough. I suspect the American Goldfinches are trying to pack on some weight prior to their migration. The nuthatches are very selective and likely push as much seed out of the tray as they eat…picky little buggers.

American Goldfinch, Northern Cardinal, White-breasted Nuthatch

1 Like

I believe it. I fill mine up every day, the one on the right that is. I took the hummingbird cam down, since they’re not coming to it anymore, and put it at the bird feeder. Its the one that only focuses close up. Figured maybe it would do well there.

[Mod Note]: Re-encoded video for proper embedded viewing in web browsers.

3 Likes

This video offers a much better look at the male Cardinal. He looks extremely healthy. Maybe he’s packing on weight for this coming winter? I’ve noticed the Cardinals have stopped by in the middle of the day for the last two days. Yesterday it was the female by herself and today just the male.

Northern Cardinal and Chickadees

3 Likes

I was okay with filling it every 5-days, but more often than that it starts to become a chore. I have two of the same feeder, but only hang one at a time. This allows me to wash one in soapy water with a cap full of bleach and then let it sit for several days prior to using it again.

Wild birds can carry diseases. I’ve read it is wise to keep the feeders clean. Particularly in my state where bird flu happens far too often. At first I wasn’t sure if it would be wise to use a bit of bleach in the soapy water, but it hasn’t caused a problem thus far. Although, if I can’t let the feeder sit for 5-days before filling it up again, I might have to skip adding a cap full of bleach to a sink full of soapy water.

2 Likes

The American Goldfinches have been visiting my feeder more consistently this week. Are all three of these females or is there a fall molt?

American Goldfinches with Chickadee grab-n-go

10/1/2022 Edit:
This is the first time I’ve seen one male with two females. Watch the whole video to see the one female fly off when another one is coming to the feeder. I had to watch it a couple times. I first thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Northern Cardinals

2 Likes

The White Breasted Nuthatch is common here in Northeast Ohio, Today I saw a Red Breasted Nuthatch for the first time.

5 Likes

Nice vids!

2 Likes

Very cool Nuthatch and thanks so much for sharing your videos! I haven’t seen any Nuthatches like that, but I do have a few Chickadees with a similar color on parts of their bellies.

1 Like

Whitey has been here all summer in southern NH but Red just started to show up in the last few weeks.

1 Like

Well what do you know, I just had my first Red-breasted Nuthatch here in Minnesota. Where have they been hiding all of this time? It’s kind of neat that we are all seeing them appear and we’re in totally different parts of the country.

Maybe they have been here awhile and I didn’t notice until @KayTel pointed them out?

Red-breasted Nuthatch

1 Like

I just had the most plump House Finch I have caught on camera visit my feeder. I doubt the get much bigger than this guy. I wonder where he has been getting his seed or what he has been eating? I also wonder if maybe he had a band on his left leg at one point? It looks like he has a sore of some sort.

Several species and a plump House Finch

Hmm, I’m going to have to read up on Northern Cardinals. It looks like this one is in the midst of a molt, but I thought they would be done with that by now? He sure looks big in this clip and am happy to see him as it has been several days.

Chickadee & Northern Cardinal

10/7/2022 Edit:
My feeder has been busy today. This video has multiple species including House Finches, a pair of Northern Cardinals, Nuthatches, and of course Chickadees.

Multiple species enjoying some seed

10/9/2022 Edit:
I think this might be a younger female Norther Cardinal? Her crest is awesome and on full alert! I wish she didn’t spend so much time on the far side of the birdfeeder. Oh well, I’ll take what I can get. :slight_smile:

Female Cardinal

10/12/2022 Edit:
Female Northern Cardinal playing peek-a-boo with the camera & Chickadees
Male Northern Cardinal with Chickadees
Who says Blue Jays don’t visit birdfeeders?
Nuthatches, House Finches (1 glutton), and Chickadees
Insanely aggressive House Finches, Norther Cardinal and Chickadees
Awesome looking Common Grackles
Northern Cardinals finally dine in peace - Great day at my birdfeeder!

10/15/2022 Edit:
Red-breasted Nuthatches and Downy Woodpecker towards end of video

10/23/2022 Edit:
I purchased a birdseed catcher for my feeder. I think it is going to work out. I may need to adjust my detection zone if I start getting too many false motion events. I was very pleased to see this guy show up for a quick bite. From what I’ve read, not having anything connected to their perching area is the key. Cardinal visits after hanging seed catcher
House Finch and picky American Goldfinch

1 Like

It may catch some dropped seeds. But I’m thinking it is going to catch more “recycled” seeds. :rofl: :poop:

2 Likes

Finally got the Pileated Woodpecker on Camera today.

6 Likes