Wyze Cam motion triggers Alexa routine (eg. display camera on Echo Show)

Hey everyone, newbie here to Wyze cams and this forum but I have a Ring stick up cam and was very interested to get my 2 new Wyze Cams to announce alerts. I tried Notify Me skill on Alexa but that was lame with having to ask for the notifications and only getting the default sound when an alert was lodged. With help from the Notify Me folks, I eventually found a way with an Alexa skill called virtual buttons. With this. You can now get IFTT to send notifications via Alexa with a Routine using this skill with IFTT and webhooks. Let me know if anyone is keen to learn or needs any assistance. The catch is you can only do one virtual button which can cover all your cameras but if you want each camera to have it’s own announcement, which is what I think we are all after, it costs a $! Per month for any button past the 1st one. I have one setup but I’m keen to just get the motion sensors so I can do routines based on their motion detectors since I’m already getting to many false alerts with the cameras from bugs and rain and the like. Cheers, Indy

Can you get Alexa (show) to show the camera or just announce a motion detection?
If it is just announcement or triggering a routine, you don’t need Virtual buttons, you can achieve the same with Home Assistant (Alexa Media Player) with IFTTT integration.

I am interested in setting up the virtual buttons

If you want Alexa to announce a message without prompting – or even launch the camera’s native skill – when the camera detects motion, check out the skill Virtual Buttons It has a similar API to Notify Me but triggers Alexa Routines instead of Notifications. You can read more about it at www.virtualbuttons.com.

I would really like the announcment feature as well so that I can get announcments in the wee hours of the morning when the neighborhood thief is prowling down my driveway to my back door looking for something to steal. My Ring cam never catches the motion because a stoop railing to my back door blocks the motion signal, but the Ring camera announcements any movement up the steps. I really don’t understand why Amazon would not allow this function since it would be anothe reason to buy echo type devices. Wyze sending a notification to my phone does not do me much good unless I am awake.

If Wyze Camera Detects Motion were an available trigger for Alexa routines, that would do it. There’s a wishlist topic for that here:

Please hop over there and vote (click the VOTE button at the top).

3 Likes

There is, of course, the virtual switch/sensor trigger method using SmartThings/IFTTT. Works like a charm, even if you need two other integrations to work. The SmartThings virtual sensor is a recognized trigger for Alexa, so you can get a true announcement. Also. Echo Speaks can push announce/message/music etc directly, so a couple of options.

I use the Cams motion triggers as broader zone motion activated Night lighting in larger rooms. I also use as combination triggers of Wyze sense PIR plus camera to cut down on false positives. Got to use those $5 motions whenever I can.

With regard to the Wyze Cam v2, I’d like to see two things in the Alexa integration:

1 - Motion and sound made available as. triggers for Alexa routines. As mentioned by others, this allows an Alexa device to alert you that there is a need to look at the camera. It can also allow you to turn on lights to improve the camera vision and/or trigger an intrusion alarm.

2 - Showing a camera on an Echo Show device as an action in an Alexa routine. Since an Echo Show will not allow a Wyze camera to be shown for more than 10 minutes, using the camera motion or sound triggers, or using some other sensor, e,g. a doorbell button, to show the camera when needed greatly enhances the usefulness of a Wyze camera paired with an Echo Show.

For those who can’t wait for a proper implementation of 1, I believe you can achieve this using Virtual Buttons from Thomptronics as the Alexa trigger and then using something like IFTTT to connect the Wyze cam to the Virtual Button.

The other method which I use for all Wyze sensors and any other devices or sensors that do not tightly integrate with Alexa or do but do not show all sensor values. Multi-sensors with motion plus temperature and battery state. Using virtual sensors in SmartThings I trigger announcements for any measured values.

An even tighter integration can be achieved using Home Assistant on a RaspberryPi. I can trigger based on the sensors battery state and contact state. This is useful for tracking when batteries need replaced. Home Assistant hosts the Sensor Bridge directly and supports the sensors with local control.

This is obviously a leap beyond the OP issue, but since I have had some major issues with Wyze Sense and multiple bridges ( one bridge in the house, one in my shop ) I wanted to make users aware that fast, local control is available for Wyze Sense. My trigger time is in tenths of a second as opposed to multiple seconds with the Wyze cloud response time.

I have another Echo dot to tell Echo Show to show Wyse camera after any triggers from the Alexa routine.

RPPascual

I have issues with the batteries on Wsye sensors . It won’t last as claimed like 5 to 6 months.

RPPascual

Alexa Show 8 now is not showing Wyse V2 cameras feeds long enough to be useful.

I would like Wyse Cam, respond to Alexa’s routine; triggers and commands too.

RPPascual

Thought it was worth mentioning in this thread a free new skill to enable Alexa routines to be triggered remotely:

voicemonkey.io

You can connect IFTTT to Voice Monkey using a webhook which will then trigger an Alexa routine that you may have set-up or even push an announcement of your choice to a specific Alexa device.

Exactly, what to do to tell Echo Show 8 to show Wyse camera feed.

RPPascual

To Voicemonkey, I want to view my Wyse camera feed from my EchoShow from an Alexa routine triggers.

RPPascual

When connected to Alexa, I would like to have Alexa announce if there is any motion detected.

This #wishlist topic, if implemented, would allow you to use Alexa Routines to announce when a camera detects motion. For Wyze motion sensor detections, this is already possible.

Heyberyen, it can announce on my Echo that motion is detected, I want it to display on my EchoShow. Presently my other EchoDot nearby announce to EchoShow to show Wyse Camera display. It does not always work, especially when the TV or radio volume is high.

RPPascual

I concur, having Alexa automatically display the camera that has sensed motion would be a huge feature!! Ring is able to do this, so the Alexa API is capable of this, so this is definitely possible!

The new outdoor cam is recognized as a motion sensor and triggers motion announcements with no outside intermediary systems needed, so Wyze obviously knows how to achieve this. This would seem to indicate a limit on the prior firmware/hardware on the prior wyze cams.