Wyze Cam Hacked

I can’t find the service ticket number. I have the emails with the Wyze team though.

Could you tell me the subject of the email? I might be able to find it that way!

1 Like

I had one of the cameras literally 2 feet from my router/modem and it still had the grainy discolored appearance. It seems they can make better or worse on a whim. Do you think a WiFi extender would actually help in this situation?

Phone Call from: Caller says cams have been hacked, Tanvi was who I was corresponding with. I can provide more info, I’ve saved several videos and photos that demonstrate the issues.

Did someone from Wyze say this? Did they offer any suggestions?

No they didn’t, other than turn on 2 factor authentication (which I had already done). It wasn’t particularly helpful, which is why I turned to the community.

Same thing has happened to me, but I don’t suspect my neighbor. My cameras have had settings randomly changed, blocks of video missing, data transfer rates dropping to zero, and authenticating over and over again. My cameras were also working normally earlier this year.

The only thing that has helped slightly is switching out my monitors from ios to android and vice versa. Right now, for me the android app is working better than ios. The camera will show disconnected on ios, while still streaming on the android app.

If the person wants to block an RF based cam, they can and always will be able to by using a jammer. Nothing will prevent that so yes, you are going to find that wired works until the person cuts the wire.

1 Like

When you review the footage, are you doing so on your phone or pulling the SD card and reviewing it on your computer?

Mostly phone

Still haven’t received any help from Wyze.

As a suggestion, have you updated the firmware on your wifi access point and is it still supported by the manufacture to get new firmware updates? There have been several important security flaws found which makes it it fairly easy to gain access to an unpatched WAP by a neighbor within range using easily available open source tools. If your neighbor is in the security community, they may also be running some specialized hardware such as a Pineapple and is convincing your devices to connect to their hardware by cloning your SSID. If I ran into these symptoms I would:

• verify WAP firmware is up to date (and also on any wifi extenders in use)
  • change the SSID of the wifi network to a new name and split to using different names for 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz
  • set new complex passwords on the new SSIDs
    ’ reconfigure your wireless devices to use the new SSIDs and then check the list in your router for connected devices and verify nothing extra connects in. If after all this you can verify a device that isn’t yours is connecting in, its time to bring in law enforcement if you can prove damage / stalking or resort to MAC address limitations on your WAP so only devices you approve are able to connect to your WAP.
2 Likes

Two suggestions:

1. Install a large SD card. 32GB cards aren’t expensive these days, and should give you a few days worth of continuous recording; Make sure to set up continuous (not event based) recording;
  2. You might want to consider setting up a wired CCTV camera/recorder, if you’re genuinely concerned about nefarious goings-on next door. Costco, among other places, offer these sorts of systems. They aren’t $20, but they aren’t thousands of dollars, either.
1 Like

have you put share on the camera?
Can’t see what the problem is. Change the password and use 2FA.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

and I bet your email or a password you use comes up on here

The reason I asked about whether you were viewing the video on your phone or directly off the SD card on your computer is it removes the Wi-Fi issue from the equation. If the camera is recording to the SD card the video should be fine on the SD card regardless if you have Wi-Fi jamming.

2 Likes

It’s possible that a deauthor or pineapple is in play here. But you cant really prove it to authorities. I have problematic. Neighbors myself and they have hired a private security company to mess with my cameras. All of my outdoor cameras are being hit with their infrared flood lights as well as something to completely distort the audio recordings. I’m at a loss of what to do.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I haven’t been able to find it that way. I’ll ask a team member to see if they have better success.

4 Likes

As some stated before, it could simply be a large amount of interference on the wifi band.

As much as I like these lil cams, their internal wifi antennas leave much to be desired.

You might have been in a tenuous connection area before but with more wifi devices in the area it might be getting buried with interference.

If you search on YouTube you’ll find many tutorials on how to upgrade the antenna to something a bit more robust.

Ive tried it and it works marvelously. Whilst I used to get between 0kbps and 170k’ish, I now get 70K-250k’ish.

The sound quality is much better too for some odd reason. A lot louder.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. There is definitely interference, but it has always been there. One of my cameras is literally right next to my modem and it has had the worst issues. What really has me questioning the neighbors is my cameras were working fine and then poof in September of this year they started having all these issues at once.

Another suggestion is if you have an android phone, you can install the free app “Wifi Analyzer”. Open it up and look at the 2.4Ghz signal strength of interfering networks vs what channel(s) you are using standing at your different camera locations. You could even toss a screen shot of a scan on here. If you have your router choosing 2.4Ghz channel automatically, it may be making a bad choice and you could force it to something with less interference. This also helps if you and neighbors are all on Auto channel and things are thrashing around a bit.

Also, for the 2.4Ghz radio (that unfortunately even the Wyzecam v3 is still going to use), most people don’t understand that on your router settings, you want to go with a narrow VHT20 channel width to minimize problems with interference. On 5 Ghz, you really don’t want to go wider than VHT40 since if you have any interference at all, you won’t get benefit from the wider channel width due to the interference.

3 Likes