Wyze Cam for baby monitor

To those who use wyze cam for baby monitor at home, I was wondering wha you use for the screen. Do you just set your phone up and not use your phone for the time being, or do you have an iPad to use? Wondering if I should go buy an iPad or not (I gave my old one to my parents so currently don’t have one)

1 Like

A cheap Android tablet may be a better alternative.
An iPad is very expensive single use device. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@angus.black is correct if you’re just gonna use it to monitor the baby there are cheaper options. Even an Amazon tablet will work if you side load the app.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip :slight_smile:

Alternatively, if you have a computer or laptop in your house you could just load an Android Emulator to watch the Wyze cam on there.

We have two android tablets mounted to the wall. One in the kitchen and one in the living room. They run the Wyze app as dedicated monitors for our door/driveway. That’s not a baby monitor, but same idea.

2 Likes

If you wouldn’t mind sharing. What’s your tablet setup there? I like this idea and want to implement it in my home. What tablet did you choose? How did you mount it? Thanks ahead of time.

Romeiro, Any decent tablet/ipad should work fine.

I just used tablets I already had. One is a very old 10" HP touchpad that originally had Web OS and I had installed Android on it. I’ve used it for several years now as a 24/7 camera monitor with other brand cameras before I switched to Wyze. It’s slow compared to newer tablets and I have to run an old version of the Wyze app that has Hardware acceleration option or I get bad lag, but with that old Wyze app version, it runs fine with no lag.

My other tablet in the kitchen is a few year old 8" Galaxy Tab A. It worked fine, but then had lag when Wyze first dropped harware acceleration, but the updated apps work well again.

For mounting the tablets, I just used a roll of 2" adhesive velcro . However, they make universal tablet wall mounts that would be nicer than what I did such as these as an example:
https://www.amazon.com/Dockem-Universal-Damage-free-Adhesive-Tablets/dp/B00BFIAB82/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=tablet+wall+mount&qid=1582724527&sr=8-12

2 Likes

Numerous times people on this forum have asked about using a Wyze camera to monitor their baby. Because they are so inexpensive, I can understand the requests.

It can be done, but not right out of the box, and to be frank, not always reliably at all times. Installing TinyCam on an android device and using it is probably the most reliable. But you will have to buy software, have Android hardware to install it on and set everything up. If you have the time and patience, this is the most inexpensive way to monitor your baby.

If your time is worth anything to you, or setting up software is a challenge to you, it would be better to buy a video baby monitor system that is dedicated as such and just use it.

2 Likes

Why not out of the box? If nothing else, just mount the camera and watch on your phone wherever you’re sitting. I’ve been doing it since the beginning and except for a recent problem with a 5th camera causing occasional drops, my door camera displays 24/7

Is BlueStacks still one of the best to use? I haven’t used one in a long time.

For something like this, BlueStacks is still considered one of the best/most reliable.

1 Like

Bluestacks seems to be the most popular.
I couldn’t get it to run so am using MEmu.

Here is a review of 15 emulators. If you have a problem with Bluestacks this may give you some good info on other options.

1 Like

I have 2 Wyze cameras set up as baby cams. Right out of the box with no modifications. Have had so for over 2 years now and they have worked beautifully.

1 Like

Wondering what you use for the monitor screen

1 Like

All sorts of things. Whatever is most convenient at the time honestly. I use my phone most regularly but we’ve used iPads and even our Echo Show device in the kitchen. I just recently purchased a universal tablet wall-mount (thanks to @raym64 for the great suggestion) and I’m going to permanently mount one of our old iPads to a wall where it will be constantly showing a few of our video feeds. It’s gonna be great!

2 Likes