Wyze cam AI on metered connection data usage

I have wyzecams at upstate cabin with no broadband so they are using a Verizon cellular modem with limited data. If I enable the AI features like person detection will they use more data?

Do you have T-Mobile coverage in area? I am finding that even throttled data (after 500MB) on a $5/month 500MB plan works fine with my Reolink cameras.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet

1 Like

Please see this post

1 Like

We aren’t discussing reolink cameras.

No… we aren’t …but just a T-Mobile option for OP to use for data with their WYZE cameras if data consumption is a concern. I’ve used successfully with this other brand.

The direct answer is oh yeah they sure will. This is because all of Wyze’s “AI” features take place in the “cloud” - Wyze’s servers - AFTER your camera uploads videos there.

Technically if you already have CamPlus active and are already allowing motion detection events (Event Recording, Detect Motion/Sound) then these uploads are already happening, and the AI detection will NOT incur additional bandwidth. But CamPlus invites the cameras to use as much bandwidth as necessary to record the full length of any detected motion event, whether it’s a person or not.

If you don’t get too many events then it should really be a non-issue. But if you’re getting tons of false alerts from foliage and animals then it will add up. Again, it’s not the “AI”, it’s whether and how you allow motion events to get uploaded.

Oh, also, the link about the DNS queries is probably irrelevant to you unless you are using the new V3 model. We aren’t discussing them. :wink:

1 Like

Mobile data and Wyze don’t go together – particularly if using CamPlus. The outdoor cam might be ok.

1 Like

I just hooked up my cam 3, It is a data hog. The plan was to use a data plan to run it but it’s going to use almost a gb of data a day.(Over half a gig in 12 hours).

1 Like

Definitely don’t Live Stream 21 v3 cams in HD mode 24/7… :grinning:

1 Like

:grimacing::sweat_smile:

1 Like