Wyze Bulbs Won't Turn Back on in Ceiling Fan

I’m trying to use the Wyze Bulbs in a ceiling fan that has 2 sockets. But if I turn off the bulbs from either the switch or the app they won’t come back on unless a bulb is on in one of the sockets. I’ve used the bulbs in other sockets and they work fine, but there’s something up with the fan.

I tested the Wyze Bulbs in other sockets and they work fine. I turned the fan lights off and on and the Wyze bulbs wouldn’t turn back on unless I screwed in a regular bulb.

Occasionally if some other lights are on in the house regular bulbs would flicker in the ceiling fan. I suspect the bulbs aren’t getting enough juice to turn back on if one of the sockets isn’t powered.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

1 Like

Wyze bulbs should always have the switch in the on position. You don’t control them with the switch. Are you mixing regular and Wyze bulbs? That’s an issue. Because regular bulbs need a switch.

I leave the switch on. But if I turn off a Wyze Bulb off via the app it won’t turn back on. The only way to turn it back on is to either put it in a different socket, or swap one of the Wyze Bulbs with a regular bulbs in one of the sockets in the ceiling fan. Right now I have a regular bulb and Wyze Bulb in the ceiling fan and it’s working fine. But if I put 2 Wyze Bulbs in they won’t turn back on from if they are turned off.

1 Like

Ceiling fan lights don’t put out much power. Maybe you can’t power 2

Wow, that sounds bizarre, never heard of anything like that. It shouldn’t be a power issue since the Wyze bulbs are LED and use a small fraction of power compared with a standard incandescent bulb. This one has me stumped

how old is the fan. someone once told me some older light setups are like old Christmas lights. they work in line. so if you aren’t getting that complete circuit, there isn’t power running to them. I’ve never had an old fan so I’ve never tested it. something to keep in mind and maybe look deeper into if the fan is old though. it sound like something like that is happening.

I’m not sure how old the fan is, it was already installed when we bought the place. That’s an interesting thought but a single regular bulbs works fine, but 2 Wyze Bulbs won’t turn back on.

Try to determine if the bulbs are wired in series or parallel. If they are wired in series, there may not be anything you can do about it. Like Christmas tree fairy lights, if one bulb goes out, they all go out.

1 Like

Oh that’s a very good point maybe that fan is wired that way. Now that I think about it my mom did have a fan like that

1 Like

Is there a dimmer, or three position switch somewhere that’s limiting the power to the sockets? Wyze bulbs don’t work on dimmer switches.

1 Like

I didn’t think they worked on dimmers either. But I have the rocker on. And the dimmer all the way up. And the lights are managed by a motion detector and they work fine. The only downside and the reason that I’m going to switch it to a regular switch is I cannot dim it in the app it is full bright or nothing. I can make a video and post on YouTube if you want to see how it works?

I guess a caveat to my other post, you can proboly have a Wyze bulb on a dimmer switch but that switch needs to be always on, full power. You can’t dim a Wyze bulb via a traditional dimmer switch.

1 Like

No dimmer, just on switch for the fan & lights. Though I’m starting to think it’s the current, cause sometimes the bulbs flicker if the patio lights are on. But it’s confusing cause it works fine if a regular bulb is plugged in with a Wyze bulb.

Is it’s in series that means I wouldn’t be able to run one regular bulb right? Cause it breaks the circuit.

is your house so old it has knob and tube wiring?

I don’t think so. It was built in the 80’s.

1 Like

Neutral and ground wires mixed up? I’m not an electrician.

Put some (known) good standard bulbs in the sockets. When you turn them on, they will all go on. If you unscrew one of them and they all go off, they are wired in series.

2 Likes

That fan was taken down along time ago. It’s been trashed so probably 10 years

Sorry to bump and old thread, but I am having the EXACT same issue. I have the exact same fan (Vaxcel Cabernet Ceiling Fan with Charred Oak Finish). The lights I’m using in the fan are the regular Wyze bulbs (not full color)

I did some wiring and was installing smart switches in the same panel for this fan so I can confirm that the wiring for the fan is correct.

I can also confirm that the light bulb sockets on this fan are wired in PARALLEL and NOT series.

The sockets are tested/working with regular light bulbs. The Wyze bulbs are tested/working in a different lamp. The adapters that are needed to get the Wyze bulbs to work in the ceiling fan were tested/working with other light bulbs.

Basically all I know is that the Wyze bulbs work, the adaptors for light bulb size work, and the light bulb sockets in the ceiling fan work, but, when the Wyze bulbs go into the adaptors and then into the ceiling fan, none of it works.

They will power on if, as OP stated, one of the three sockets has a normal light bulb in it. If not, then when the Wyze bulbs are powered off by either the Wyze app, Google Home Assistant, or a smart switch (additional actions setting), or by removing power and then restoring power, the Wyze bulbs WILL NOT power back on, unless there is a regular light bulb present, which of course then defeats the purpose of replacing the bulbs with Wyze smart bulbs.

I took noticed that the lights on this fan sometimes flicker, however, I have noticed that it does this irrespective of which other lights in the house are on or off, so I think the flickering is a problem with the make/model fan, and possibly the issue with the lights not turning on may be as well.

Coincidentally, I didn’t purchase this fan, it came with the house that I bought, just like the original poster.

I’m not sure what my next steps should be since I don’t want to replace the $600 fan.

Maybe there is a way to supply a dummy load so that the fan always supplies power to the sockets?? I have no idea what I could use for that though so any suggestions would be appreciated.