Wyze Bulb: unable to finish pairing, Connection timed out

Sweet!! I was having this problem at my home (using Google Wifi). I’ll try disabling my mobile data tonight. I really appreciate these notes on your experiences.

Same problem here on iPad. Connect to bulb’s local wifi and specify 2.4GHZ only network with router 6 feet away (previously tried on Google Wifi). Mobile data turned off. Continues to timeout. Tried 2 different bulbs. Pretty disappointing.

Everyone having trouble be sure you check off the items in post 58.

Thank you! Can’t wait to get back home and try again.

I hate to steal a thread so let me know if I should be creating a new topic… but I am still experiencing the connection timeouts after making all of the changes that were recommended (e.g. no mobile data, 2.4ghz b/g/n, no MAC filtering, etc.).

I am on an iPhone X with two separate Wifi networks for 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. I am having this issue with all four bulbs.

Any other suggestions?

Did you set an IP address reservation range limit on your router?

Yes but it is assigned a a full /24 and has only used ~20 IPs.

@pivotforensics, The IP address reservation range (DHCP scope) is what caused my bulb setup issues (even though it appeared that I had not used all the addresses in my range). I increased the available addresses and was able to set up all my bulbs without issue.

1 Like

Ok - GOOGLE WIFI USER HERE.

I have 4 bulbs I was trying to pair yesterday, nothing but connection timed out.

I have a iPhone and a Google Pixel 2 so I tried a couple different things but finally got it to work on my Pixel 2.

Turn off the LTE connection, so only WIFI is on. (and it was on 5ghz, so this works for Google WIFI users).

Pair your lights up with the LTE Connection off. It works just fine that way.

I’m not sure if the same will work via iPhone because I have iOS 13 beta and the WYZE app doesn’t work correctly, the UX is all messed up so I can’t finish the pairing via it.

Good luck!

1 Like

I cleared the known devices, renewed all DHCP leases and expanded the DHCP IP lease range to no avail. Also tried it with data off and Wifi only.

Update for those who have tried everything and have persistent issues:

I have a Linksys WRT3200AC router with DD-WRT firmware installed. Separate 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz wireless networks. I tried Mixed, B/G Mixed and N/G Mixed modes with no luck. The bulbs can “connect” to the 2.4 ghz network and but are not assigned IP addresses. I tried setting static IPs on a static range, not through DHCP static leasing, but that didn’t work either. No error logs available to explain why this might be happening. Still just getting connection timeouts when trying to add the bulbs, because the bulbs aren’t routable (of course). Worth mentioning that I have Wyze Sense and three Wyze v2 cams currently connected to the 2.4 ghz network on this router (what legacy protocol are the bulbs using?).

I set up an older Linksys router with the stock firmware and the bulbs connected just fine. This is not ideal of course since I now have an extra 2.4 ghz wireless network just for the Wyze bulbs, but it narrowed down my issue at least. So, long story short is… it looks like a configuration issue in my wireless settings or a compatibility issue with the router/firmware itself, but the rest of my DD-WRT wireless settings are set to the defaults so that would mean Wyze bulbs will likely not work out-of-the-box for anyone using DD-WRT firmware.

Side note: If anyone has a router with DD-WRT firmware and connected/working Wyze bulbs I am all-ears to any suggestions for re-configuring my 2.4 ghz wireless network as needed.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing that, @pivotforensics. I’ll ping Wyze with this info. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Turning off mobile data works…thx

1 Like

I fixed my issue with the bulbs but not the issue with the bulbs. I can have them work perfectly fine, only in the room with the router. Anywhere else in house the wifi capabilities of the bulbs seem to be sub par and wont connect. The wifi signal through the whole house is perfect and even have wyze cams further than the bulbs connected just fine. If that small issue is fixed in future bulbs I would pretty much have wyze bulbs in every available spot due to being able to pick soft to bright white and price vs other bulbs. However atm I have much easier time with the sengled bulbs working better.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same thing, the WiFi signal connection capabilities with these bulbs is very weak in comparison to the rest of my 2.4 GHz devices. I had to change the password on my 2.4 GHz signal just to get the bulbs to connect which meant that I had to go through and change all the other 2.4 GHz devices which didn’t make me very happy and now to see the signal connection ability appears to be weak has resulted in a rather unsatisfactory experience with these bulbs. Based on my experience these bulbs are not ready for prime time.

1 Like

I had to wait for it to timeout in the app, then a retry button would pop up. When I pressed retry it would work 100%. So there must be a bug with the original sync, but after timing out pressing the retry it should sync instantly. Kind of annoying having to wait 120 seconds per bulb to get them to sync but it works.

Thanks. I had the same issue. Wyze needs to take 802.11n out of the compatibility list. It is clearly running at 54mbs which is 802.11g.

1 Like

I had to leave my 2.4 network in mixed mode or the light will not work with the app. It clearly is not compatible with 802.11n and Wyze needs to update their product spec.

1 Like

I have tried all the suggestions listed in this thread, but to no avail. I have requested assistance from support, but I’m not holding out hope.

iPhone 8 Plus
IOS 13.0
iPad 6
IOS 13.0
iPhone 8
IOS 12

These constraints are ridiculous. I am setting aside my bulbs (and the accompanying frustration) for now in hopes that Wyze does something to solve these issues. Until then, I consider it a failed experiment and money wasted. Surprising and disappointing for this clever startup.

1 Like

turn off your mobile data and it should pair…worked for me and others

1 Like