Wyze bulb setup

You can go onto the router and turn off 5 ghz, do your setup and turn it back on.

That would be nice, but it’s not an option thats available on google mesh.

Some things to check if you are having trouble installing a Bulb:

Environmental:

• Bulb can’t be on a dimmer circuit.

• Bulb must ave access to 2.4 GHz network.

Phone:

• Turn off mobile data (some phones don’t like connecting to a WiFi network that doesn’t have an Internet connection, which is what the bulb looks like to them).

Router:

• Network can’t be restricted to 802.11n only (must allow b/g – "compatibility mode”, not “performance mode”).

• No MAC filtering during setup (workaround is to install the bulb using a hotspot, which will give you the MAC address).

• Sufficient range of DHCP network addresses must be available (some people restrict this).

Tip:

• Set up the bulbs in a single socket lamp close to the router, one at a time. Once all settings are in and the bulbs are working, they can be moved to the desired location and all the settings will remain.

• (Assume this is mostly necessary if the bulb has old firmware): If the bulb flickers then stays on just after you enter the countdown, then the bulb is probably on its way to being set up. However, if the countdown reaches zero after you see that, then cancel the setup and go back to the home screen. If the bulb is listed there, try to upgrade its firmware. Whether the firmware updates successfully or not, flip the switch 3 times and go back into setup. Rinse & repeat until you go thru setup successfully & the firmware is updated successfully.

If all else fails:

• Press the retry button.
2 Likes

I forgot that, no back channel with Google mesh, the reason I ended up with Velop mesh…

John Taylor

Thank you so much! My problem was I had my network restricted to performance mode 802.11n and changing to compatibility mode allowing abg etc solved my setup problem. Instructions must be updated with this all these tips ftom the forum like this and mobile data.

Best,
Ed

4 Likes

The phrase “performance mode” triggered me to look at my Verizon FiOS router which had that set. Setting it to “compatibility mode” finally resolved this for me.

2 Likes

Yup! That was the solution for my Pixel 3.

Thanks! That worked on my Pixel 3

2 Likes

Thanks. Worked like a charm!

1 Like

Additional tips from WyzeMike:

So am I to understand that the bulbs can’t be set up with the Google Mesh routers? Cams don’t seem to have any trouble with the mesh. Any solution(s)?

I set mine up on google mesh. I just had to turn of the data so that when I logged on the bulbs wifi connection I selected continue when it said there was no internet connection. Then went back to the wyze app and waited until it logged on.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Added this to my list in post 23:

• (Assume this is mostly necessary if the bulb has old firmware): If the bulb flickers then stays on just after you enter the countdown, then the bulb is probably on its way to being set up. However, if the countdown reaches zero after you see that, then cancel the setup and go back to the home screen. If the bulb is listed there, try to upgrade its firmware. Whether the firmware updates successfully or not, flip the switch 3 times and go back into setup. Rinse & repeat until you go thru setup successfully & the firmware is updated successfully.
1 Like