Wyze Bulb Beta firmware 1.2.0.153 released

We’re also releasing firmware version 1.2.0.153 for Wyze Bulb. This firmware improves the IoT connection success rate and includes bug fixes. We welcome your feedbacks!

– Wendy

1 Like

What does that mean exactly? Like speed/latency?

2 Likes

We have added more algorithm to improve IoT connection success rate.

2 Likes

I’m still not totally sure what that means. Sorry if I’m being dense. Haha. What does “IoT connection” mean exactly? I know IoT = “Internet of Things.” I’m just not sure what “IoT connection” means in context. Improvements in the bulb successfully connecting to Wyze’s servers, for example?

2 Likes

@nerdland The Wyze Devices have an algorithm , when there is no internet, it keeps trying to connect, its called the Fibonacci sequence, I wonder if that’s what they are talking about. because some people were saying that their devices were not reconnecting after the internet was off for a long time.

2 Likes

Hey @TheNerdCorner just for clarification. a Fibonacci sequence is actually just a mathematical “formulation” so to speak. not actually name of the Wyze algorithm, a Fibonacci sequence is made when a series of numbers is sequenced by adding the prior number to the sequenced number and so on and so forth. so with each series of numbers the sequenced number grows exponentially. it is a number sequence often found in nature, such as the spiral of a nautilus shell.

the sequence would look like this. 1+1=2…2+1= 3…3+2=5…5+3=8…5+8=13…13+8=21

so going on this formulation, the longer the power is out, the longer in between attempts is. I’m not really sure why this choice was made as if someone has a prolonged outage, it could take some time before the attempt is made again.

I don’t belive that is what was mentioned as being in the update as this sequence for attempts has been a part of the technology for quite a while.

I’m not sure what they meant when saying this update helps with the connection rate, but I will see if I can get an answer from someone at Wyze soon.

Just to be clear the fibonacci sequence is an algorithm, and as I stated above that was an assumption, since it was mentioned a week ago from Wyze.

Edit: yes this particular one involves math. I did not write out the entire definition of what it was since google is available lol

" Fibonacci Series Algorithm and Flowchart. Fibonacci series is defined as a sequence of numbers in which the first two numbers are 1 and 1, or 0 and 1, depending on the selected beginning point of the sequence , and each subsequent number is the sum of the previous two."

I deal with this everyday, as part of my Job, So I’m not trying to be a smart alec.

1 Like

@TheNerdCorner @Bam I know what a Fibonacci sequence is, but I actually thought that was a sarcastic joke by @TheNerdCorner at first, to be honest. :joy: You’d get into ridiculously huge numbers fairly quickly.

Maybe they start with fibonacci until they reach a ceiling? That might make some sense. But with a pure fibonacci you’d end up with years between attempts, then decades, then millennia. Hahaha.

2 Likes

@nerdland yeah thats what Wyze was saying, because once you get into days, and your internet is off, it would take FOREVER for them to come back online unless you power cycle them. The people that had issue with this were people that had beach homes, or while out on vacation etc…

2 Likes

please accept my apologies if my reply came off wrong. it’s rare enough to find people that can spell Fibonacci let alone know what it actually is. excuse the pun, but I don’t find fellow nerds that know this stuff that often, it rather refreshing :nerd_face:

1 Like

No Worries @Bam ,I the same in hopes that my reply did not sound " snarky". I agree its is nice to have fellow nerd’s around :smiley:

1 Like

@TheNerdCorner @Bam No, I’m glad you dumbed it down because I misinterpreted @TheNerdCorner’s original post as a snarky joke aimed at Wyze. It was only once I read your response and the followup that I realized that’s ACTUALLY what was happening. (which makes it funnier.)

2 Likes

The only ‘guess’ I would have where using a Fibonacci sequence might be advantageous is in something battery operated like the sensors because it would save battery instead of constantly trying to reconnect, however like mentioned if you have a long outage it would start taking a long time to try to connect. The other flaw in my thinking is that the first I heard of them using that was in the plugs which obviously are not battery operated.

2 Likes

Those don’t try to maintain a constant connection anyway. They just send a signal when there’s an action.

When I go to my Wyze bulb on the app and click “Update Firmware”, I get a message that my Firmware is up to date. But the installed Version is 1.2.0.146. I got this message on 10/29/19. How do I update the Firmware?

Are you in the beta program? This is only the beta firmware. If you’re not running the beta version of the app, then this doesn’t apply to you. (But if you’d like to, the information is here: Become a Beta Tester – Wyze)

1 Like

@chasklink The bulb firmware V 1.2.0.146 is up to date on the public release. If you want to try the Beta firmware V 1.2.0.153, you will have to follow the instructions found here in the support pages. And do as @nerdland mentioned above. :slightly_smiling_face:

Up To Date Public Release

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks!

Is this not available yet? Your posting is 10/24. It’s now 10/30. All 4 of my bulbs say they’re at 1.2.0.146 and up to date.