Wyze band in Water

This poor thing may be able to defend against water intrusion but it sure doesn’t like being in water… I wore my band during a swimming workout and it let me know, through vibration signals, that it was very confused. Swim strokes caused it to activate, menu scroll and even reset itself (guessing at this one because all my data was cleared) in any event, this band does not like water, I think the screen is just too sensitive. On that note, I’ve noticed that even with sleep mode activated, the display will illuminate with the brushing of a bed sheet or by moving across a pillow case (this one actually woke me up) as rolled over during the night. Since it’s not a ‘logging’ event, I’ve not sent in a report of issue but I do hope the techs are working on a fix for screen sensitivity. @WyzeGwendolyn are they aware?

2 Likes

I believe they are using a capacitive touch screen like the iPhone. So water will definitely have an effect on it.

Personally I found the initial version of Rise to Wake to be way too sensitive, maybe that is your issue. I turned mine off because ATM I also consider the display timeout to be too short, so I have to touch the screen anyway.

2 Likes

That’s funny because I felt the raise to wake is not sensitive enough. I perform several, very deliberate raise and roll to view before it finally awakens. I have it off now so that I just touch it to read. And that’s why I found it strange that it activates while I’m asleep. I set up a Wyze cam on my bed just to watch the number of activations. The light from the band triggers the camera motion on average of 10 times while I’m asleep. As for the water, I realized it had activated the reset because my data for the day was gone and I had to re-pair to the phone. My second swim day I thought things were good until 11:00 pm, when the alarm went off. It had self activated that setting too. Solution for me now, is I don’t swim with the band and I try not to get it wet when I wash my hands…

I have had similar issues. When taking a shower it is constantly buzzing and changing screens. This is expected with the screen technology but other brands of smart watches have a swim or water mode/setting you can turn on that effectively locks there screen until a button press or long press ect to prevent this. I would love to see a feature like this implemented.

4 Likes

Under Wyze Band > Settings have you tried “Slide Upward to Unlock”?

1 Like

I have tried this feature and it helps mitigate these issues but it is still different than the feature I am suggesting (similar to the Samsung water lock feature). When in a shower for example where there is moving water, and if you hold the watch under the water it will act like a swiping motion and I have seen it cycle through all the screens and keep looping around. For short timeframes it’s not a huge issue for me but I can see that for swimming laps ect it would be bothersome.

4 Likes

Yes, but the water will effectively swipe up and unlock the screen. A water lock feature or a way to deactivate the touch screen via the app would be good. During sleep it’s not a big deal and I wouldn’t even know about it except for the one time it turned on while I moved my arm from under my pillow and it was in my face when it lit up. My only thought about that is how much battery power is waisted through out the night because of the activations.

1 Like

I’ll share this with the team. Thanks for the tag!

5 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation. It is a great idea and I could see it applies to sleeping, running and swimming mode. I will check it with our engineers.

3 Likes

Hello, it’s been awhile since I asked this question. Has there been any word from the engineering team on how to address this issue? Those of us that want to use this band to monitor water workouts need a way to deactivate the screen so that it doesn’t constantly switch between screens, set alarms, activate Alexa etc… Thanks, stay safe and healthy :mask:

1 Like