Wyze Band display easily scratched

Well, my Wyze Band is absolutely great: battery life, looks, features, Alexa…all great. One flaw I’ve found, however, is that the screen is not very scratch resistant. I guess it makes sense with the price point, but I was kind of comparing it to much higher priced trackers/smartwatches.

For instance, this is how my screen looks after just a week:

Sigh. Guess I have to find some kind of protector.

@jtretakoff That’s a real bummer sorry to hear. They do make screen protectors for smart watches/bands. This might be something to consider to prevent further damage. I’m not sure if any of these will fit but it looks pretty close. You may be able cut it down to size if it’s too big.

(8-Pack) RinoGear Samsung Gear Fit2 Screen Protector Gear Fit 2 Case Friendly Screen Protector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HC81MT0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_nQoOEbD7ZZPB1

ArmorSuit Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro Screen Protector (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799C6CVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_gXoOEbSWN67NC

1 Like

All plastic screens scratch that easily, this isn’t unique to a $25 fitness watch. But because it’s plastic I bet you could buff the scratch out, depending on how deep it is.

Hi, everyone.

I looked at the screen protectors above, but I think they are too short by about 4mm.

Wyze gives these dimensions of the band: 53 x 46.8 mm

However, my measurements give something closer to: 38 x 16 mm

Can anyone confirm?

If my measurements are close, the Fitbit Inspire Protector (Amazon) are almost identical: 37 x 16 mm.

If anyone here knows one with a closer fit, please chime in!

Thanks.

David

1 Like

Regular Crest toothpaste works great for buffing scratches from plastic screens. Toothpaste and either a finger tip or a Q-tip.

1 Like

Nice tip! I’ll give it a try. Thank you!

1 Like

You may be able to buy a regular screen protector for a phone and then cut it to size. Make a template out of frog/masking tape and afterwards stick it on the screen protector and cut it with scissors. Just a thought I haven’t tried it but I’m thinking about giving it a shot myself.

Why do consumers accept that we have to pay more money, just to protect the screen of our devices. When it’s the companies making these devices that should be the ones coming up with a solution. You’d think they would include several screen protectors, if they don’t want to spend the money on scratch resistant screens.

Sadly, toothpaste did not help here. :frowning: But thank you for the suggestion. Alas, mine is scarred; early access pains. :wink:

Unfortunately it won’t fix deep scratches and is better on glass than plastic but it was worth a try. I got some pretty bad scratches off my Apple Watch that way.

Your issue has nothing to do with it being an early access thing. This product is an inexpensive device with a plastic display and you can’t expect it to have a scratch resistant screen. My iPhone has a much more robust scratch resistant display, but I still put a screen protector on it. Until gorilla glass displays are the norm, we as consumers have to rely on ourselves to protect wearables. But at least in your case, it was just a $25 product and not a $300 plus Apple Watch.

There are cheap screen protectors made for other fitness bands that require very little cutting that works well for the Wyze band. Here’s one on Amazon that has eight protectors. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HC81MT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I purchased a screen protector made for the fitbit inspire and it is a perfect fit. I just put it on so no comment on quality, but installation was quick and easy.

3 Likes

Nice to know, thanks!

1 Like

Try a mildly abrasive auto polish. That will buff out most scratches.

1 Like

Unfortunately, you can see the crack is not on the surface, but is about 1/8" deep, extending almost the full depth of the screen. But thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like

On the official FAQ for the Wyze Band it says the display is Gorilla Glass?

Thanks for the info! How’s this working out? Got pics you can upload here?