Wyze Band Connectivity with Background running

Hi Everyone,

I got my Wyze Band and have been noticing that the Notifications and Shortcuts are only working if the Wyze App is actively running on the phone.

I close the app and I get the “always-on notification” at the top of my phone “Wyze is running” which I assumed was for the push notification delivery as well as the smart home control. However, none of those work unless the app is “fully” open on the phone.

I have run through all the troubleshooting steps and connectivity checks.

I finally contacted support and they are saying that those features will ONLY work if the app is active and running and background services will not work unless it is open. That being said if the apps open its not a background service in my opinion.

Can someone please help me shed some light on this cause if I have to pull out the phone, open the app, AND THEN go to the watch, pull up the shortcut and arm the house its not so much a smart home controller but a physical app extension. In that event, I would just arm on the initial app opening?

1 Like

It only seems to work if you don’t close the app. And even then I get a lot of connectivity issues. I’ve had other inexpensive watches that are similar and they’ve all required the app to be open to connect. Not sure why.

Thank you for the reply @Sheadunne and exactly what I’ve experienced as well! Unfortunately the way it’s advertised it makes it seem like it will stay connected in the background like a Wear or Tizen device. :confused:

Hi, @CelticDragon and welcome to the community! Take a look at this post from WyzeArthur. They are working on it. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi @StopICU33 thank you! I guess that’s just my biggest issue right now is that push notifications are not working with the app closed. Regardless if they have the connectivity issues on the board I’ll just be patient for an update. At $25 I can’t complain to much it’s still an amazing product at that price point!

2 Likes

That’s really weird because I have my app closed and I am still getting notifications. I had to allow app notifications before they started working properly.

1 Like

So notifications are definitely working on iOS (with app closed, running in bg)? OP, are you using the android app? Anything else besides Shortcut that requires the app to be open completely on either platform?

I’m using Android and one thing that’s going to make a big difference is the app version. I am currently running Beta app 2.10.32 and it works great with the Band. Those that are using the production app will not have the same experience. They can either switch to the Beta app or sit tight until this app is fully released in the near future.

@StopICU33 and @FrankyJ I just switched over to the Beta and it works flawless now that I can tell and the call and text notifications are available to use now too so all around much better! Thank you everyone for the help!

1 Like

That’s great, glad to hear! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you don’t mind me asking how do you get the beta firmware? I’m on Google Pixel 3axl and having the same issues. Other than that, I’m really liking the band.

Hi, @patterson.eric78! Welcome to the Community! You will need to join the Beta program. All the details are right here. :slightly_smiling_face:

For non-beta app members, if you are interested in joining our Beta program, you need to follow these steps – learn more
Become a Beta Tester – Wyze Labs, Inc.

1 Like

For sure! Go into the Google Play store> Go to your installed apps and find your Wyze app> scroll down a bit on the page and you will see a “Join Beta” button

1 Like

Thanks all. I got the beta app installed and joined!

1 Like

You’re welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

Just went with the beta app and it corrected the problem on my IPhone. I ran a test using a text message from the wife’s phone in a before and after scenario. The before version would definitely NOT get notifications unless it was running or in background. New version DOES get notifications without the app being in the background. :+1:

Thanks to all, and certainly a good response from Wyze.

TG

3 Likes

Thanks for this StopICU33. I too have the new Band and noticed my shortcuts don’t work unless the app is open and running and can sync occasionally. I think they need to just have the option to allow the app to run in the background to allow those shortcuts to work.
As to notifications, I’ve had no issue getting the notifications even if my iphone app is not running.

1 Like

The beta app is working great for me. Notifications regardless of app phone status.

Thanks for the info
TG

1 Like

You’re welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

@zorka

I just downloaded the beta app and it’s working well. I am using a Moto e5 play Android and I can’t seem to find how to turn off run in background.