Wyze App Version 2.6 Releasing Tonight! (11/18/19)

We have a public list with bugs that have been especially prevalent that I’ll be updating within a few days of the release but I don’t recall a Wyze Plug bug. Are you talking about the grouping issue I see you posted about?

Yes, that grouping bug, plus the Saturday bug. Saturday schedules don’t work.

Here is the thread:

Wyze Plug does not follow scheduled rule on Saturday only

1 Like

Thank you! I’m sending this to the team. Though pretty much everyone has left the office so I definitely won’t hear back tonight. My bet is that this has not been addressed in this update.

1 Like

Schedule Not Working on Saturday…another thread here:

2 Likes

Added to the list!

2 Likes

Per chance does the list of bugs that have been fixed in 2.6 include:

• IR filter flips back and forth and back and forth (clickity-click) at dusk & dawn?
  • unable to download time-lapse recordings, even when on the same network?
  • local recording (to SD card) when camera is off-line? Includes:
    • camera can’t power up and start recording without internet connection

These bugs have been outstanding for many months. The clickity-click bug was first reported over a year ago.

That was my post. Thank you, techies, for getting on this!! I will hang in there for my Saturday night plugs to work, since now I know it’s not just myself having the problem. I love my plugs Sunday through Friday, but Saturday…

2 Likes

Thank you for the heads-up Gwendolyn. Looking forward to the app updates and trying CMC. :+1:

1 Like

The back-and-forth clicking doesn’t strike me as a bug, per se. There’s obviously a brightness threshold at which it will enable IR. When you’re right at the cusp, that threshold may go back and forth a few times. (Clouds, etc) It may be possible for them add some logic that minimizes that. For example, if the state changed in the last 10 minutes, require 10% under/over the threshold to change the state again. But it doesn’t seem like a huge issue to me.

I’ve had issues with time-lapse recordings, too. Does it time out for you? The camera has hardware limitations, and I believe it compiles the time lapse from still images only AFTER you request it. (But I could be wrong about that.) Basically, I’m not sure if it’s possible for them to make it happen faster. But if it’s timing out for you, the trick is to leave the app open in the foreground. If your phone turns it off automatically, you may need to make sure you have your thumb on your phone once every few minutes while it’s downloading.

1 Like

Very good. It’s 1:36am now. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

What’s the difference between the new cloud service and using sd card? I haven’t tried sd so not familiar with it.

@DJ-BrianC, I have moved your question to a topic relevant to it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Differences:

• Complete Motion Capture stores full-length videos of your motion events in the cloud. (Not just 12 seconds) SD card only stores videos locally on the camera.

• Complete Motion Capture removes 5-minute cooldown period between events and notifications. With SD card recording only, you’ll have video of everything on the SD card, but your notifications are still subject to the 5-minute cooldown

• SD card recording allows for continous (24/7) recording, if you prefer. Complete Motion Capture captures all motion, but does not offer 24/7 recording, per se. (Though I suppose if your camera shows movement 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you’d effectively have that.)

3 Likes

It’s a bug. Wyze has acknowledged it as such, and was reported working on a fix many months ago. But it’s perhaps better described as a design defect. The frequent repetitive operation of the IR filter mechanism may eventually result in premature failure of the hardware.

More than a few, I’ve seen/heard my cams flip back and forth 10-20 times over the span of five to ten minutes as the firmware makes up its mind if it’s day or night. Other owners have reported the same problem.

Absolutely possible! A robust design would have incorporated hysteresis (which is somewhat similar to what you’ve described). Adding hysteresis to their day/night algorithm has been suggested to Wyze several times.

Besides the risk of premature hardware failure, the errant switchovers of the IR filter trigger the motion detector. This generates a cloud event (recording & notification) that then blinds the camera for 5 minutes (due to the cooldown). If the IR filter is still switching back and forth 5 minutes later (when the 1st cooldown interval expires), the camera will go into cooldown for another 5 minutes. That’s less than ideal.

I haven’t had timeouts. I’ve encountered two different TL issues. One is that the Wyze album often fails to list TL recordings that were recorded. The second is that the camera reports that it’s failed to download a TL recording listed in the album: “make sure your mobile device is on the same Wi-Fi network” (despite the fact that my iPhone is on the same network).

But let’s not belabor these issues on this thread. There are other threads discussing them in detail. The intent of my post here was to ask @UserCustomerGwen if any/all of these bugs had been addressed in v2.6. And to reiterate that many Customers would find it useful to have a complete list of bug fixes in the Release Notes for this (and every) release.

6 Likes

Without a detailed knowledge of the firmware and hardware limitations of the camera, I’m not sure if we know that. But the idea is certainly possible in theory. Hopefully it can be addressed. :slight_smile:

I take it scrubbing hasn’t been made a part of viewing SD card captures. With the new service, can I download captures to my PC so I can use VLC or similar to quickly go looking for moments of interest?

I purchased a Wyze unit and was considering adding several more for myself and also purchasing several for my family members. The 12 second cooldown is a deal breaker for me. I have 1 camera installed along with 3 repurposed cellphones. I have installed the free version of Alfred on the cell phones. That application does not have a 12 second limit nor a cooldown period. I am not sure why Wyze cannot offer that in their free version. Alfred also provides 7 days of Free cloud storage. I was a bit disappointed with my Wyze camera because of that limitation. In addition, I can also switch from my front and rear cameras on my cell phones. The video on the Wyze is better and the SD storage is nice but only giving me 12 seconds and then a 5 minute cooldown seems kind of silly. If you eliminate the 5 minute cooldown and 12 seconds limit before I decide to upgrade from cell phones to all cameras I would definitely consider more Wyze units. I would rather have an option to pay for more than 7 days of cloud if I could have the 12 seconds and 5 minute cooldown eliminated,

2 Likes

As of today, that feature has officially been added. :slight_smile: It’s $1.49/month. Details are here.

1 Like

I’ll also add, that SD recording isn’t subject to either the 12-sec limitation nor the 5-min cooldown. Mentioning this because I notice that people don’t realize this. If you go the SD recording mode, use event-only recording. Makes it easier to jump from one clip to the next. No need to search the timeline.

4 Likes

Or use two cameras with two sd cards, one on continuous record, one on event only.