Wyze app failing to run on iPad 2nd gen

Just updated the Wyze app on my old 2nd-gen iPad (iOS 9.3.6) and it won’t run. I click on the app, it starts up and shows the splash screen, then drops into background. When I pull it out of background, still on the splash screen, it’s visible for about a second and drops back into background. I did a power off/on of the iPad, same behavior. Que?

1 Like

Welcome back @jasNW!
Try deleting the app and reinstalling it.

Anyone else who has a similar device setup with or without this issue?

Good idea, but no joy. Behavior is still the same. Splash screen for about 5 seconds then to background.

Interesting…
It may be something with the app update requiring a newer IOS version. Unfortunately, I have no way to test this. Any other @Mavens with a way to test this?

1 Like

I have production Wyze app 2.17.21 running on a iPad Pro 12.9 (4th Generation) under iPadOS 14.4 with no problems. I don’t have an older iPad, but I do have an iPhone set up running iOS 9.3.6. Will check it now and report back…

Update: Same issue as reported by @jasNW. App immediately crashes upon start. I uninstalled and reinstalled… same issue. Looks like the Wyze app isn’t compatible with iOS 9.3.6. Not good.

Thanks, feeling less paranoid now. Using this old iPad as a WyzeCam viewer is a kind of “end of life” use for this beastie. Been sitting on the kitchen counter showing what’s going on along our street.

2 Likes

The App Store states 9 and later should work, that definitely needs to be changed.
I sent this up the chain of command.

2 Likes

If you force close the app and start it does it still crash

1 Like

Yes.

Chatting with support now to get this logged into the system for devs… wish we could provide logs, but it’s not possible.

1 Like

Happy hour! Tomorrow is another day.

1 Like

Issue has been reported. We’ll see where this goes… :+1:

3 Likes

Same problem here. Old iPad that is running 9.3.5 and the iPad says this version is current so can’t update. Wyze app crashes upon download after I deleted the wyze app and tried to download it again.
Been using this old iPad just as a monitor for the 4 wyze cams I have.
Any thoughts on a cheap monitor with at least a 10” display?

Same issue here. Ipad Gen 2 with iOS 9.3.5 and latest Wyze App update on Jan 27th now crashes after during splash screen

1 Like

Same issue with iPhone 4s with iOS 9.3.6

I said the heck with it and just ordered a Fire 10 refurb from Amazon.
The only use for this old iPad was to monitor my cams as it is so very slow and glitchy anymore but was fine for a monitor if I kept it plugged into power.
Have to figure that wyze won’t do the fix for antiquated software for us dinosaurs.
If I am wrong at the very least I have a tablet that can be used for something other than monitoring when the inclination comes up.

2 Likes

I just upgraded the Wyze app on an old iPad. The app was working fine for my viewing of my WyzeCams. However, with the upgrade to 2.17.21 of the Wyze app, the app will not even open up. Is there a way to role back the version of this app? Thanks.

2 Likes

same issue. The app will briefly open then close. Is there any way old versions of the app can be reloaded?

2 Likes

It was a bit of a pain, but I was able to fix this issue by erasing the iPad and restoring from a backup that was pre-update of the Wyze app, which I will never update again on this old iPad.

1 Like

i do exactly the same thing. i think it is the new version of the app. i have 2 old ipad 2’s. the one with the old version of the app runs fine. new app not so much. @wyze… is ithere a plan to fix?

2 Likes