Wyze app crashes repeatedly when viewing camera in landscape

That is the issue, it works with gesture navigation, but fails with 2 button and 3 button navigation.

Interestingly I realized I have the same issue with the Eufy cams I have in the baby room (crying notifications), and switching to gesture fixed also.

Any way to get this info to programmers? Here’s a reference that may be the fix… Ensure compatibility with gesture navigation  |  Android Developers

1 Like

Confirmed on my Pixel 3 XL. Changing to gesture nav let’s the app work perfectly again. Definitely a problem with the app then.

1 Like

@Jeff_CA I just confirmed as well on my Pixel 3xl. This is very odd. I have been having this issue since sometime last summer / early fall (I am in a Beta/Alpha release group for some of us that tested the WCOs). I use 2-button navigation.

Hopefully @WyzeDongsheng or others can take a look at why it works when using Gesture Navigation but not with 2-button or 3-button navigation. In Android 11 this is accessed through Settings → Accessibility → Interaction Controls - System navigation

Bump

1 Like

Same Issue, Same Phone… Any fixes soon?

1 Like

Unfortunately probably not. I’d just it change and start getting used to gesture navigation personally. It took me maybe a week of getting used to it now but its really not that bad. I have had zero problems with the Wyze app in landscape after changing the navigation to gesture instead.

Wyze folks, and news on fixing 3 button navigation landscape view crash.

Lots of android users using non gesture navigation, and like landscape mode…

2 Likes

Would love a fix for this as well.
FYI, I run into the same issue with the Ring app.

Fyi to developers this still happens on my pixel but on my samsung s21 it works fine with both navigation options.

2 Likes

I just bought a brand new wyze cam v3. I’m experiencing the same issue. Using a Google Pixel 3XL with the latest software and security updates. Just downloaded the app today from the Google play store. Tapping on the Landscape icon will reset my app to the home screen. Unable to view in landscape mode. Tested gesture navigation mode like others mentioned and this fixes it but I don’t want to change my entire phone and life just for this app. Everything else works fine. Tried this on my old Samsung S8 and landscape is fine.

Just received the camera V3 today and the camera itself is great. Quite disappointed with the app due to this issue though. Hoping Wyze can come up with a fix soon…

Also still hoping for a fix when using 3 button nav. Pixel 5a using v2.24.51.

Regarding Gesture mode, I am experiencing the opposite on my Pixel 3a XL.
I normally use Gesture mode and the Wyze app kicks me back to the main start view anytime I go fullscreen on video view.
When I switched to 3 Button mode, fullscreen worked fine.

I really hope this gets resolved.

*Update: interestingly enough, I was using 2-button navigation. I just changed it to 3-button and it stopped going into landscape by default and stopped crashing. I then changed back to 2-button and it didn’t go into landscape and crash after that either. However, if I turn the phone to landscape mode and launch the camera, it crashed. Clearly this is a landscape mode issue with the app!! *

I’ve been having a similar issue on my Pixel 3XL recently. When viewing a cam feed, it automatically goes into landscape mode and then crashes. The app itself doesn’t crash completely, just the camera view, ending in the app showing the list of cameras. This seems to be a know issue with landscape mode on Pixel 3XL. I also dislike the app launches the camera in landscape mode by default. This should be a user-choice app option. Please fix!!

Welcome to the community @do4doh

Which camera’s are you looking at when turning your device Landscaped?

I have a v2, v3, Wyze Outdoor Cam, Pan Cam v2, and don’t experience this issue. I would like to see if it is specific to a camera type. Also, can you provide the Firmware version of the affected Camera’s?

I have Wyze Cam v2 and Pan v2. Since this happens only when the app tries to show the camera in landscape mode and reported mainly on Pixel 3XL, this looks to be an app-specific issue for a specific device. In Android app development, developers need to take additional steps to make sure the activity properly handle the content when the device goes from portrait to landscape. This may not be the case 100% for the Wyze app.

Can you provide the Firmware version of your Cam Pan v2 and your App Version you are using.

The Prod versions are as follows:

• Wyze App for Android: 2.27.33 (December 21, 2021)
  • Cam Pan v2 Firmware:4.49.1.25 (October 21, 2021)

I am providing these as it the past there was an issue like this and I believe it was correct. Here is my Cam Pan v2 Live Stream in Landscape:

I signed up to beta test Firmware and App Updates. My Cam Pan v2 FW Version is: 4.49.1.34

Also note: I am using a Pixel 5, Pixel 6 and even an iOS device. I use the Pixel 6 for as my daily driver and the others for testing purposes.

1 Like

This didn’t originally occur with my Android/Wyze configuration but it now does.
I’ve got V2, V2 PanCam, and V3 cameras and the app exits any time I rotate my Pixel 3 from portrait to landscape. I believe it began after an Android update.
I’m currently running Pixel 3 build RQ1D.210205.004 and Wyze app v2.27.33. My Android System Navigation is set to “2-button navigation”. The only workaround I’ve found is to modify the System Navigation from “2-button navigation” to instead use “Gesture navigation”. When using “Gesture Navigation”, I am able to successfully rotate my device to landscape orientation while viewing the camera video or recording without the app exiting.
However, I prefer “2-button navigation” and this issue is extremely frustrating.
Please spend some time to fix it before releasing another product :wink:

They’re not going to purposely fix this at this point, just like dark mode. Until they design a fresh app from scratch they clearly don’t care to invest the time into fixes for a small populace. Dark mode is wanted by tens if not hundreds of thousands and they haven’t taken the time to implement it…

That said, as someone who only wanted two or three button navigation, I finally gave up and tried gesture mode. If you invest the few mins needed to memorize the gestures, within 24 hours you likely won’t want to go back to two or three button nav. 99% of the time I prefer gesture now… Give it a try, can always switch back

Welcome to the community @sporto, I am a community member as you are and not a Wyze employee.

Did you open a ticket and provide a log of this issue? If so, can you post it here and I will try to assist in getting this escalated for you.

I utilize gestures and not the navigation buttons. I will do the test myself using the buttons for navigation. Thanks for the info.

As soon as you get the Log and Ticket Number, please post it here. Also note, I have updated my app to the latest Beta Release 2.28.00 (b100).

I just did a test of Live Streaming a Pan Cam v2 and a Cam v3 with Navigation buttons on instead of gestures. Did not have any issues using the latest Beta 2.28.00 (b100). you could update your app to the Beta to see if it corrects your issue by going here: Become a Beta Tester – Wyze

Here are 2 images which demonstrates it is working for me:

My OS is Android 12 build: SQ1A.220105.002