Wyze Anything Recognition - AWESOME AI updates coming for Cam Plus

Wyze announced they are working toward launching a program called:

“WYZE ANYTHING RECOGNITION”

In short, each individual user will be able to train the AI to recognize ANYTHING we want it to. In the Reddit AMA they also clarified that they have plans to “bring the new model everywhere: Wyze services, devices, etc… in a backend agnostic way and each person will have their own set of models that can be shared. We start small, storing the model in the server first.

For examples of what you’ll be able to train the AI to do for yourself, watch the video from about 20:23 through 23:40

THAT’S AWESOME!!! It’s virtually limitless. We can [hopefully in the near future] train the AI to recognize any object or nearly any situation, and have those custom detections and alerts specific to our own personal needs!

And we can share that training with others to be able to use too. I am going to train the AI to recognize the difference between when a person is using my swimming pool/in the pool vs not in the pool, and only send me an alert if someone is in the pool so I can make sure they’re okay and there is someone responsible and old enough supervising.

More stuff mentioned about this in the Reddit AMA:

From WyzeShawn
“…it is possible to learn a good customized model for each user & camera with much fewer data due to the recent process of few-shot learning and AutoML.TL;DR version, this time, we want to bring the cutting edge AI technologies more approachable to Wyze customers, and we want you to be able to train your Wyze Cam to recognize things. Stay tuned with us later this year! Something big is coming. :wink:

I don’t know about you, but with this new revelation about how each individual will be able to create custom detection models for ANYTHING WE WANT, I am super excited and DEFINITELY more than willing to fork over $99/yr for Cam Plus Unlimited (99 licenses) since I can train my cams to recognize and alert to nearly ANYTHING I want for each individual cam.

I was previously thinking about switching some cams to RTSP and running them through Home Assistant plug-ins to be able to do this exact thing (create my own detection training), but if Wyze is going to allow me to do that all with their AI with unlimited cams for just $99/yr ($8.25/mo avg), I am totally sold with sticking with Wyze AI! That’s all incredible news and will be SLAUGHTERING what the competition offers IMO. I am hoping it works out like they’re hoping and planning and I am really excited after getting some of these clarifications of their vision of where they are trying to take all of this, aren’t you?

What kinds of special things would you train the Wyze Anything Recognition AI to recognize or alert you to [if it is capable]?

9 Likes

I’d train mine to watch for Christie Brinkley walking up my sidewalk. Hello !!

2 Likes

I would train mine to recognize the car that’s been parked for months in my driveway doesn’t have to be recognized as a vehicle every 15 minutes.

5 Likes

Since you brought it up here, I actually asked them in the AMA if they would work on detecting a difference between a moving vehicle vs a stationary vehicles so we could have it ignore stationary vehicles just like you’re saying you want to do. WyzeShawn replied:

Thanks for sharing this feedback! Yes, this one has been in our backlog from day 1 of when we launched the vehicle detection, actually. We totally understand how this is useful, and the team is looking into a solution in a broader scenario right now. We’ll keep you all posted!

So Wyze is looking to solve this issue for everyone. That will be nice!

3 Likes

I would like to add myself to the list of people who would sign up for $99 a year Cam+ covering 99 licenses

1 Like

I was just thinking, when this comes out I’m going to have a camera dedicated to recognizing the difference between when my stoves and ovens (I have one on each floor of the house) are on and off. I will train the cam to tell when the dials are turned on or off, and maybe warn me when it has been on for a certain amount of time, or if the stove was left on, without a pot being on there, etc. Or maybe it can see a pot that is empty on the stove while the stove is turned on, or any number of other risky situations similar to those.

This came to mind because I started to cook a pot of ramen, then got distracted waiting for it to boil, and forgot about it until all the water was evaporated! Luckily I remembered before it got too bad. There have been times when people people have forgotten to turn off the stove or oven though. A neighbor accidentally burned down their house this way.

For me, it would definitely be worth the cost of dedicating a camera to watching the stove/oven and alerting me to certain situations related to that. I acknowledge it’s still my responsibility not to be reliant on such alerts, but they can be something that would be helpful and put my mind at ease that there is potentially something that could help. Maybe when it is actually released we’ll have to have a whole sub topic on tips and tricks for implementing all these ideas that people might be interested in.

1 Like

Yeah, I have also seen people use contact sensors to do this when they have nobs. The problem is that not everything uses nobs anymore, especially ovens. Lots of those are buttons. However, if we can train the camera to recognize what the display looks like when something off compared to on, then each individual can train the AI for their unique device without Wyze having to create a few hundred variations of things just to fit everyone’s different iterations. I love that I’ll be able to train it to look for exactly what I want for my needs.

1 Like

While you are waiting on AI to learn about heat on your stove and over, PLEASE, set a timer/reminder on your phone or smart home assistant to remind you that you left the stove on upstairs. We do NOT want you to burn your house down. We need you here answering questions, sir.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s good advice. I have usually only used timers for things when they say something like “cook/boil for X minutes” but never thought about using them for something like when I’m just waiting for the water to boil, or cooking something until it looks done or whatever…but I should do this now! I do have Google and Alexa devices throughout my whole house, so I think I will start to do as you said, tell the assistant to set a timer or reminder for a certain interval when I use the stove/oven, then just tell the assistant to cancel the timer/reminder after I’m done with it (otherwise it will remind me to check). Makes a lot of sense and will be really easy. Thanks for the suggestion and concern.

I still look forward to the AI recognition option since I have a teenage daughter who is often…not very mindful. :slight_smile: So it will be good to have as an extra precaution.

1 Like

Good, I just wanted to do what I could to save your house burning down, like the someone you know. Thanks for your reply. You are one of the good/goodest guys. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought that was what the V2 was made for.
I’ve set one looking over stuff that took a while to bring up to a slow boil on low heat and then got the notification on my watch when it detected the motion.
Was fairly kludgy though and not really practical.
Not as good as watching Trojan Room coffee pot.

1 Like