Wyze Android GPS location access

Can someone explain why the Wyze App on Android requests/requires GPS location for the app?

I can’t see any reason why it would be needed, but the app is using it for some reason.

It has something to do with the connection to the cameras. Hers a discussion on this!

@darrylb What brand of phone are you using? Is it a Motorola by chance?

Some Motorola devices require you to have GPS enabled for Bluetooth to function.

No I’m not. From a security perspective, there are 2 issues I have with this

1. There needs to be an offical answer from Wyze why this is needed (as they are the ones who wrote the app), as it can and should be verified that this permission is in fact needed and not in any way abused
  2. If it’s needed for “certain phones” then again from a security perspective it should only be used for those phone and none other.

Having access to a detailed GPS location can be abused, and is of concern .

Absolutely agree! Paranoid or not, I have location turned off on every device and PC possible. :sunglasses:

I think the reason Wyze wants it is to set your time and time zone.

I was using the Wyze app inside the MEmu emulator once and decided to use its “fake location” feature. And naturally I’m running everything possible through VPNs.

Well, I ended up completely wigging out the timestamps of the 12sec event clips in the Wyze app. Events were showing up in the future and on the wrong days, and new events were mixing in with future events, it was just all kinda weird!

After that fun, I tend to keep things within a few nearby time zones to preserve what’s left of my sanity :grinning:

But yeah, I keep location OFF on both iOS and Android unless a vital app absolutely fails to run, and I do not give the Wyze app location permission on Android.

The only permission I give the Wyze app is “Storage” because I don’t ever use the microphone to talk through the cams.

1 Like

Moto phone needs GPS for BT?
An excuse to poke around for device close to you?
It sounds like more State sponsor spy movie.

I’m glad I don’t own a Motorola phone. :slightly_smiling_face:

Wyze mentions this in the support pages for those that have the Wyze Lock.

1 Like

That does not appear to be the case (the only reason that is) as there is a LOT of references / use of detailed GPS location in the wyze app, Some of those references include sending it to facebook which is why I would like to know from the “source” what the official use of my detailed GPS location is within the wyze app.

1 Like
2 Likes

Maybe it has something to do with the Emergency button. Is that out of beta yet?

Let me make sure I’m absolutelty clear in why I’m asking this question and why it’s important to understand the FULL use of fine location based use within the wyze app.

While some “features” may require the use of fine location data, there APPEARS to be way more use of that location data then what is being claimed by Wyze.

For example, fine location is used for several other modules withint he app such as

1. Facebook places (use unknown at this time)
  2. Paypay (use unknown based on code)
  3. kount (an anti fraud module)
    *4) appboy Campaign logging * which “appears” to be using fine location for Ad based purposes.

“### Appboy Is Now Braze™ - Build Campaigns That Listen‎
E-mail, Push, In-App: Find Your Customers Where They Want To Hear You”

So again I go back to my original question to Wyze, please explain why it’s required, and for ALL PURPOSES that that fine based location it used in the wyze App.

2 Likes

I suggest you contact WYZE support. This is a user forum.

3 Likes

No.

The Wyze Lock has ‘auto-unlock’ feature which is partly triggered by your phone’s location. I am pretty sure it needs GPS info when calculating phone location. I am pretty sure Wyze app doesn’t track GPS info for camera connection.

4 Likes

Just from my own education, I presume you discovered this by decompiling the APK?

I know they mention Braze in this thread, if that helps…

2 Likes

I’m inclined to think it just synchronizes your time stamped timezone to the video, your device, and their server. These devices are in many time zones.

The cameras sync time with your phone.

1 Like

Exactly.

Location tracking info worth money.

The wyze lock has an auto unlock feature that uses geofencing. When you leave your house, and come back within a certain radius of your house, the door can unlock automatically. This requires GPS and Bluetooth to work.

Exactly.
I was just going to say, WyzeTao has already answered this in post #14