Wyze android app says it will stop working January 11, 2022

The Wyze app on my phone says it will stop working on January 11, 2022 unless I upgrade. My phone is android 6 and I can’t upgrade the app because the minimum requirement is now android 7. Why can’t I continue to use the existing app? Everything is working fine. What about people like me that use older phones?

4 Likes

I had Android 5 and upgraded to Android 9.

Most likely, It is Google Play Store wants the sheep to have more powerful phone for their data collection.
I found my Newer Android device have hidden dns option defaulted to go to 8.8.8.8

1 Like

Hmm, not sure where that date comes from. They started forcing upgrades in July for compatibility but I didn’t know the apps themselves would self-destruct. That seems odd. Maybe the warning is from the Play Store?

1 Like

The old heave-ho. :slight_smile:

Workaround: Use tinyCam Pro for viewing (until that is excluded?)

Use BlueStacks 4.x (Which emulates Android 7 and runs latest Wyze app for settings changes.)

Setup for any new devices that require a device/camera scan of a QR code would seem to be the rub.

Showed up in-app for me, backing out of settings…

Email just arrived (shortly thereafter posted in the Wyze News category):

You are using an OS that is 5 major releases old. Expect to lose support and capabilities for stuff.

I’d say the 5 days notice communicates something. How 'bout you? :wink:

3 Likes

That is kind of shockingly short notice then. The July timeframe was handled really slowly. Where did this sudden deadline come from then? Some new vulnerability, a log4j issue? We all knew the change was coming, and agreed no one should expect perennial support for old systems, but this is the first I’ve heard of this particular cutoff date.

3 Likes

Confidence, recklessness… or urgency?

1 Like

I almost have to think / hope that if they were truly exposed they wouldn’t wait? Hmm. I will take them at their word that this is just a platform for future features.

1 Like

Well, as cam-firmware-hesitant, if the bugginess of new releases doesn’t improve radically and instantly, it will be a deal-breaker for me.

I can’t/won’t be climbing/reflashing/repositioning cams. I shrink from that like a snail from salt.

3 Likes

Oh no way. (Better not be.) The poster’s warning says app, not firmware. I’m not planning on doing any ice climbing.

(?)

Edit: Ahhhhhhhh!!

1 Like

« As a result, we’re requiring that all Wyze Cam v2, v3, Pan, and Video Doorbell products be updated to the current firmware version. We recommend you update them yourself to control the timing. Otherwise, we will likely push updates to outdated devices beginning February 1 through February 15, 2022 . (Updates to Wyze Cam Outdoor are coming soon - stay tuned.) »

2 Likes

Ahhhhhhhh!!!

3 Likes

I thought of you when I read this.

3 Likes

You realize I’m much older than Customer… and feeble, too. What about me, wily canuck?? :wink:

3 Likes

BTW… This latest iOS update did not require a re-authentication as it has in the past (at least it didn’t for me). That might be grounds enough to remove one special character when referring to the *&#%& iPhone :rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl:

I know this one… :wink:

2 Likes

I literally laugh out loud every time I read it.

And don’t you go talking about how I have an iPhone @spamoni my 2 Android devices cancel out my 1 iOS devices. :wink:

3 Likes