WOC floodlight with motion sensor

No sarcasm, I am enjoying watching the evolution of your adapter solution. :slight_smile:

@Customer

Understood! I think this adapter is a keeper.

I forgot how involved this saga was. Now that Wyze is on the cusp of releasing their own (leaked photo) it looks as if it is probably for V3 only. I’m wondering if the Wasserstein would make sense for one of my V2s. It’s now $45 at Amazon and $42 direct from the manufacturer (including shipping).

But your and others’ mixed results have me paused. My existing floodlight is not adjustable and too sensitive and I wouldn’t want to repeat that…

@Customer

I have been happy with my Wasserstein non-remote floodlights for the v3. The housing is very beefy. I have installed a lot of floodlights in the last 40 years. This is the beefiest housing I have ever seen. The lights are very bright. I have very few false triggers for the motion detection.

Here is an Amazon link to the remote version for the outdoor camera which is the same as for the v3. They are both junk. which explains why they are currently unavailable. :sunglasses:c

Wasserstein 3-in-1 Remote Floodlight, Charger and Mount Compatible with Wyze Cam Outdoor - Turn The Camera into a Powerful Floodlight (Camera NOT Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T8RFTX3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_M4VYH5TR39XG0590Q419?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Interested to see how the Wyze floodlight for the v3 compares in price and quality to the Wasserstein floodlight for the v3.

Here is an Amazon link to the non- remote model. I have two of these.

Wasserstein 3-in-1 Wired Floodlight, Charger and Mount Compatible with Wyze Cam V3-2000 lumens Powerful Floodlight (White) (Camera NOT Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y1737KJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6P4P2FMADCQQJT87CH2R?psc=1

1 Like

Just preordered the floodlight. It has a few nice features the Wasserstein does not.

A v3 is included

There are 2 USB ports so you can use another v3.

Wyze has 2600 lumen lights that can be dimmed. Wasserstein has 2000 lumen lights that are either on or off.

Wyze has 3 PIR sensors that can be turned off individually. Wasserstein does not mention if their light has PIR. I would assume not since that is a strong selling point.

Will be taking one of the Wasserstein lights down when this arrives.

Well of course they have a PIR (probably just one). That’s what the motion detector IS.

@Customer
There are motion sensors that are not PIR, such as ultrasonic, microwave, and tomographic,

The Wyze propaganda states there are 3 PIR sensors

Yes but I was referring to your comment on the Wasserstein…

I assume it’s a PIR because that would be the most cost effective and others (I had to look up tomographic) require more gear. But don’t know.

@Customer

Yes, I was singing with the choir. :grinning:

Wasserstein does not mention their sensors are PIR, which would be a plus compared to the less expensive pixel change type.

I like tomographic. Sounds like a good name for my digital journalism business if I had one.

Huh? Pixel change means a full camera sensor - the PIRs have to be cheap as dirt since they’re in even the most basic $10-$15 devices… no?

I was told the PIR sensors are more accurate against false triggers compared to the pixel change. Guess I was told wrong.

Well yes, because they are based on heat (differential). But they’re still a very simple semiconductor compared to a CMOS or CCD sensor pixel array, to my limited understanding at least.

I don’t see an option to turn the PIR sensors off individually. I can set Motion Detection Sensitivity from Low (1) to High (100), Ditto the Sound Sensitivity. But have not found an option for to select PIRs individually.

Realized my USB connection at the Wasserstein floodlight was exposed to the elements. Even though it is under an overhang, humidity can still cause corrosion. Clear silicone filled in the gap.

Tom,

Thanks for your detailed walkthrough! I installed the Wasserstein non-remote 3-in-1 floodlight about a week ago, and it seems to work fine. My 3 biggest concerns are:

1. Because of the electrical junction box at my house, I had to install the entire floodlight upside down. So the camera is actually ABOVE the floodlight. I suspect the next rain will leak into various parts of the floodlight and damage it, so I will probably need to hire an electrician to fix the junction box.

2. The light does come on when cars drive by around 45’ away, even though Wasserstein says “motion is detected from up to 33 ft away”.

3. My install kit came with a tiny (less than 1/2") white ring gasket, but I have no idea what it’s for. I asked Support, but they don’t seem to know, and eventually just stopped responding. Do you happen to remember where you installed it?

Overall, I’m pleased with the product!

Thanks!

The white o-ring slips onto the screw that goes through the center of the floodlight housing. It seals moisture from getting in.

I do notice the light coming on at night when a car goes by even though it is beyond the advertised detection distance.

What did you use to connect the v3 to the USB port on the light? I found these

work great. Remove the rubber gasket around the USB port on the floodlight so the adapter seats fully. Then use clear silicone to seal,it up.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on that o-ring!

For the v3 to the USB port, I just used the cable they provided. It’s not pretty, but I wanted to make sure it worked first, before trying to improve it. After fixing the floodlight orientation, I think I will use your adapter idea to shorten the cable length.

If you use those USB to microUSB adapters, be sure to seal the USB port with clear silicone once the cable is connected.

Still have the Wyze floodlight in the box. Too darn cold to remove the Wasserstein and mount the Wyze, plus the Wasserstein is working great.

How is motion detection with the light upside down?

Good idea with the silicone.

Motion detection seems to work just fine, even though the motion sensor is pointing slightly upward instead of slightly downward as it was designed. If anything, I thought it would be less sensitive, but it seems to detect everything I’d expect.