Wireless/poe camera

13 pixels + 15 zoom,low light outside poe and wireless 5ghz.with a true zoom so the picture is clear and crisp from 1-15 zoom and 1080p plus

wytaw

1 Like

Here’s the important question: What price are you expecting to pay for all that?

I assume when you say “13 pixels” you meant 13 megapixels, but I also expect you meant for the normal video resolution to be substantially less, and the 13MP to be used only for digital zoom (despite you saying “true zoom”, which implies optical).

If you meant 13 MP of video resolution, you may want to try finding a video camera that gives you that, and if you do, be prepared for severe sticker shock. You might want to start with pricing 4K (8 MP) security cameras first.

As to PoE and 5 GHz wireless, why both? Anyone using one isn’t likely to care about the other. The percentage of people that would be using PoE only for power (simply to run the DC power long distances) would likely be an insignificant percentage of buyers.

Nicely worded :+1:. Sometimes I wonder if kae4560 knows what he/she is talking about (I read few of them and often got lost either they don’t make sense or saying something in a different space).

2 Likes

The price range $125.00-$200.00, and yes POE and wifi there are a few Hi end vendors that use both

What High-End vendors offer both “P.O.E. and 2.4/5 GHz WiFi” PTZ cameras?

Sony,Motorola business solutions

Kind of vague, how about a link to said device?

Its all poritarty and no links sorry we can not give that information out to the public due to security and our agreement with Motorola and Sony you will need to do your own research sorry

I work in the industry and have never seen a high-end PTZ with both P.O.E. & WiFi.

It is usually one or the other and never both, with almost all being P.O.E. Only.

I did my searching and found nothing like what you are describing…

Copy

I do have WTI Sidewinder/Python POE and
Cohu Rise 4260HD POE. currently in stock at about 100+ times the price of a V2 pan Cam…LOL

I guess you could add a client bridge 2.4/5 GHz and make it Less Secure:exclamation:

WiFi and true security don’t really mix well…LOL

WiFi is easily jammed and/or compromised, that is why most true high-end systems are not 2.4/5GHz WiFi based comms.

For a high-end high security PTZ that would need to be wireless I would connect the POE PTZ to a spread spectrum code hopping IP radio such as a Microhard radio unit which are in the license free radio band of 902-928 MHz and have far better range than WiFi comms.

With Yagi antennas at each end I have a 2+ mile link between the IP radios, good luck doing that on WiFi :grin:

2 Likes

Frankly, I’ve been waiting for someone to sell a PoE camera and offer an optional PoE power adapter/WiFi module. For outside cameras, that would put the WiFi inside, where it should have a better connection to the router. (Although at least a wood framed and wood or vinyl sided home, a WiFi device mounted high outside might have a better connection that something plugged into an outlet down near floor level).

Out of curiosity, do you even those expensive cameras you cited satisfy kae4560’s request for 13(mega)pixels (which they still haven’t explained) and 1-15x zoom? :smiley:

More than 2x zoom really has to be optical. I have a small, modern-looking, 21x (!) optical zoom WiFi camera, but WOW is it expensive. On the order of $2,500 dollars in 2005 dollars. And it wasn’t even HD then! Optical zoom cost really has never gotten cheaper. Think telescope, not just guessing what’s in between lower-resolution pixels.

I don’t use the WTI’s or Cohu’s (High-End Cameras) at home but do at many commercial installations.
Not only because of cost but also with all my tall pines (100 feet or more) I don’t have much to zoom in on. Have set them up temporarily and areas I can zoom into are already covered by the many V3’s.

Maybe someday if I get a “Tree Climber” I may mount a used one atop a tree, but even then I would only have a view of tree tops and surrounding forest land from that height, not all that useful in my location.

New ones in sealed boxes waiting for clients (Or KAE4560 :grinning: :heavy_dollar_sign: :heavy_dollar_sign: :heavy_dollar_sign: :heavy_dollar_sign:)

I do have some used one’s and maybe someday when I run out of other projects I will install…LOL
Specs on one pictured below at WTI Sidewinder / Viper PTZ camera

If I mounted it on my 2nd floor roof of my office above garage this would be the viewing area.

Another V3 can see the vehicle there well enough to capture license plate

And another angle here from yet another V3… And there are more V3’s heading out the driveway etc…

Another cam on driveway…

Do have plans to mount another V3 on driveway down low in rocks for license plate reading possibly with a lens modification swap too, still have 2 V3 cameras awaiting a location to install.
So dollar wise it doesn’t make too much sense to install a high end camera yet…
The 16 V3’s in those general areas costed 6 times less than a single New High-End Camera :smiley:

1 Like

To be clear there are some very inexpensive cameras that have both PoE and WiFi. (I have one from HeimLink but it seems to have a weak signal.) I realize that’s not quite what you are talking about.

But that’s all built in at the start. Moving the WiFi off camera means people that want it can have it, and people that don’t also don’t pay for it. It also opens the possibility of later upgrades (e.g., a camera that started with 2.4 GHz only 802.11n could later be upgraded to dual band WiFi 6 as prices dropped). As mentioned, it also moves the WiFi connection inside (which becomes more important in some building types).

Frankly, a WiFi-equipped PoE injector could be marketed as a solution for other equipment, not the just a company that created it for their own cameras.

Yes, I realize a similar solution could be cobbled together with off the shelf parts, but those often cost more than a dedicated solution, and certain are more trouble for the end user.

The flaw in your idea is that the device doing the WiFi is the one picking up an IP address on the WiFi network. The PoE supplied address is on the wired segment. So what you are actually talking about is a router. :slight_smile:

That is mostly fine , of course. Gli.net for example offers several small routers that do WiFi and are optionally PoE powered as well.

It would be more like something like this (but with PoE added to the Ethernet port):

These type devices used to be more popular back when Ethernet was the standard and wireless was the option, rather than today where it is more often the other way around.

This appears to be the more compact and modern version:

1 Like

Nice. Sounds as if I was very wrong and that the device really can pass through the IP address handed off by the original router on the wireless segment. Operates at layer 2 and bridges the wired and wireless networks. I am pleasantly surprised.