Wireless connection password

…they could simply have a higher level product. Like offering the Wyze v1 and v2…maybe there will be a v2+ While you still have the option to purchase v1.

Are people actually asking to be able to change the WiFi password on their router, and have devices that were booted off the network because of that change be able to reconnect without being told the new password? Not concerned about security much, are we?

Maybe we’re talking about pushing a new WiFi password to the device prior to changing it on the router. That might be technically possible, depending on how the network interface was implemented on the device. Change the password on the device. This may kick the device off the network quickly, depending on the implementation. Then change the password on the router. The device, if smart enough, should retry the failing WiFi connection and meet with success once the router has been updated. Assuming you didn’t make a typo and push an incorrect password to the device prior to the router change. If you accidentally did that, you’re hosed and will require physical access to the device to correct the problem.

You can provide your own workaround for this if you are network/router savvy. Create a separate VLAN for the Wyze cameras WiFi access. No other devices on that VLAN except Wyze cams. You probably should have this anyway, for security. Personally, I have a LAN for my computers and sensitive stuff. Then a separate VLAN for IoT devices. Then another VLAN for guest device access (friends come over with a smartphone and want to use your WiFi). Finally, yet another VLAN for Wyze cameras only. I have the Wyze cams totally separate from everything else because they can upload very sensitive stuff (video and audio) to the internet. I can control this easily if they are on a separate VLAN, since I control the routing and firewall for that. After camera setup, if you are using the firmware that supports RTSP and have enabled that, you can cut off the Wyze cams from the internet. You will need to poke a hole in your (internal LAN) firewall to be able to access the RTSP feed from the cameras though. You don’t have to cut off internet access and use RTSP if you don’t want. You can still allow the cameras to talk to the internet as they normally do. Just the fact of having them on their own separate VLAN means that the WiFi password used by the cameras does not need to change when you change the password for any of your other WiFi VLANS/LAN.

Note: Most routers support at least one main LAN and a “guest network” (an imprecise term for a VLAN). In order to have multiple VLANS, you will need a router that provides this extended functionality, or install third party firmware that supports it.

None of this is terribly complicated, but it certainly helps if you are network/router savvy, as I said earlier.

I should have noted before: You should NOT have any IoT devices on the same LAN as your home computers. All IoT stuff needs to be on a separate VLAN. Even if your router only provides a “guest network”, put your IoT devices on that at least. If you put IoT devices on your main LAN, you just opened up a security hole the size of Jupiter. Don’t do it!

Can’t disagree completely. Sounds as if you have more money than time. So you probably are missing the point. Grab some Nest cameras instead. A well thought out deployment can avoid multiple trips up the ladder. Measure twice and cut once

1 Like

I prefer to have more money AND more time. Unfortunately, the more time part usually causes you to exhaust the more money part.

I’m being rude. It is outrageous. And despite my arrogant response I have spent an embarrassing amount of time redoing my network.

Regards,
Daniel

What the hell - I suppose you want to get everything free in your life. Blink cameras cost three times as much. Wyze is a great camera and priced right for what is is and frankly it’s does more. Can you record to a as card on the Blink - NO! It seems everyone wants something for nothing and forget about simple value and a company needs to make a profit.

1 Like

My car was vandalized twice in the last 2 weeks. On both occasions my V2 sputtered, coughed, and tripped over the incidents. I have CMC and SD continuous recording. Please explain to me where the value is? Oh wait, they are not security cams. My bad.

2 Likes

I noticed same thing… in my case i was monitoring my entrance door and what the mail man is doing…
and exactly what you say… when the “person” is detected just then sputters … the rest of the recoding on the SD card however is fine :smiley:
I found solution… instead of building wyze environment and keep giving more money… i started saving for real cameras :slight_smile:

1 Like

It sounds like if you got more expensive cameras they’d probably just be stolen anyway.

The thing is, the Wyze cameras are indeed not security cameras. You can buy one at Home Depot for about $25. That is not a home security system. It is a toy that may be useful and instructional in some situations, but not for critical applications. For similar reasons, the Coast Guard does not use children’s swimming pool floaty rings in their rescues.

If you have reasonable expectations, you may be happy with a Wyze camera. If you have unreasonable expectations, you will never be happy. That’s pretty much guaranteed for any product. A good saying to keep in mind, applicable to many things: “If it can fail, it will do so at the worst possible moment.”

I just upgrades to a Wifi 6 Mesh AX Network because of the choppy video playback on my 4 camera setup not knowing that I would have to do EXACTLY what you described. Oh my head!
¯_(ツ)_/¯

Let us know when you find “Real Cameras” I have Arlo and Wyze, The Arlos are not any better and way way more expensive. The Nest Cameras are great, but expensive the monthly charge adds even more pain. I solve the real camera issue by having multiple Wyze cams covering the front of the house. Works like a charm. I also have Google Mesh Wifi which is solid, that reduces issues with the cameras having connection issues when the activity suddenly increases and their bandwidth requirements shoot up.

Seriously it is easy to put a camera in the window and the weather housing are cheap if you want one outside.

Once I get the Wyze Outdoor cams, if they work out, it’s bye bye to the Arlo, though I will probably keep the Arlo lights until Wyze has some.

Wyze cams are not WiFi 6 compliant. they only use 2.4Ghz which is fine for now. 2.4 travels further than 5Ghz

I keep seeing a misleading theme all over this forum and Reddit and Facebook etc.

WiFi 5 devices CAN and DO benefit from newer WiFi 6 routers. No, the older devices cannot take advantage of the newer features but WiFi 6 routers tend to be more optimized in general, especially the Mesh routers.

This means that your older devices will be able to make better more optimized use of the WiFi bands they can access.

So while the biggest benefits of WiFi 6 are reserved for WiFi 6 client devices, their older brethren can benefit as well. If nothing else turn your old router into a 2.5 GHz WiFi access point. Put all the 5 GHz stuff on the newer router.

1 Like

A Redundant Array of Inexpensive Devices you say? :grinning: I use the same approach with our Wyze cams and yes, it does work pretty darn well! :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

You are right… However, getting what’s promised when you purchase something has merit also. In this case, hardware vs support software don’t match up.

Never said they would not benefit, just that they were not compliant.

1 Like

Thank you rbruceporter.
Once I get around to resetting the cameras over to the new wifi 6 Mesh network I will do each one individually over time in 1-2 week increments to compare any increase in stability/reliability. I am a WYZE fan but agree with many accurate and not so popular comments I read. I also believe in the end once Wyze continues to advance themselves and become know for even more positive comments, they will be acquired by a more profit hungry group. I truly feel like they have the end consumers best interest at heart and hope it’s not a drinking of the kool-aid moment for myself.

1 Like

Point, counter point… As I’ve said before, if you don’t have reliability, it’s just a silly toy

Author unknown, but it sounds a lot like ‘Murphys Law’

My comment was not directed at you personally just used your posting as a trigger if you will. :slightly_smiling_face: