Will alerts occur to phone if no internet - BUT connected to wifi?

I’ve searched, and there is info on no wifi (so no internet), but what if there’s wifi, the camera is on the LAN, my phone is on the same LAN, and the Wyze app is in “foreground” on the phone/tablet? Will alerts occur then - or they completely rely on going to the cloud?

I’d like to set up a camera external to my travel trailer, to watch for things like a portable generator. I have a wifi router in the camper, so there’s a LAN I use (grand kids stream movies from an R-Pi, etc.) - but the router will not be connected to the internet.

Or will I just have to set up continuous recording, and watch later? I’d like alerts when someone approaches certain areas externally on the camper, etc. Again, I’ve got wifi - just no connection to the internet with that wifi.

Great question, but I’m afraid the answer is no. I was curious, so did a little experiment. I unplugged my modem but left the wifi router running. In that condition (wifi network active, but no internet connection), I am able to watch the live stream and playback video from the SD card when my phone is connected to the same LAN. However, while walking around in front of the camera and long since 5 minutes elapsed since the last alert, I get no notification on the phone.

When I restored the internet connection, I got a bunch of alerts as if the camera(s) were storing them up and sending them once internet was available.

Great question, but I’m afraid the answer is no. I was curious, so did a little experiment. I unplugged my modem but left the wifi router running. In that condition (wifi network active, but no internet connection), I am able to watch the live stream and playback video from the SD card when my phone is connected to the same LAN. However, while walking around in front of the camera and long since 5 minutes elapsed since the last alert, I get no notification on the phone.

When I restored the internet connection, I got a bunch of alerts as if the camera(s) were storing them up and sending them once internet was available.

So you have just proved that the video taken by the WyzeCam first goes to the micro-SD Card and then to the cloud. But if the “cloud” is “disconnected” you had better hope that your micro-SD Card still has some life left in it.

I repeat again, and again and again, that the video needs to go to a local storage other than just the micro-SD Card. The internet is not as reliable as people think and if your WiFi and local network aren’t reliable what are you doing about it? How about investing in a new router and some external backup drives. Basic common sense and personal responsibilty.

So please Wyze, allow for local storage to a “drive” on my network. Let the customer have control.

Yeah - I’ll agree to generally agree to that. I know Wyze will want to sell storage on their “cloud” at some point, but they should really let you stream RTSP to a device internally on your LAN.

I’ve got a Synology that will allow RTSP, and it’s got “slightly” more storage than an SD card.

Not sure if you misread my post - but my LAN in my trailer isn’t unreliable. It just isn’t connected to the internet. There ain’t no internet where I go many times. There ain’t no cell service either. That’s why I asked if it would alert with the phone connected to the LAN, and the camera connected to the LAN. I’d like to protect my portable generator from “walking off”. It’s very quiet, and if it goes into “eco” mode, it’s quieter yet. I can’t rely on hearing it quit when someone cuts the chain that secures it to the trailer frame. And yes, my router, etc is on battery backup (and the camera is on a 32,000mah backup battery or plugged into my trucks USB ports that are “hot” all the time).