Wifi extender

I just installed a WiFi extender; how do I get the cams to drop the old connection and recognize the extender?

Hello @18wheelz, when you have moved your Wyze cam from one network to another set it up as new to the same account so then you can be asked to enter in the new WiFi details.

1 Like

Ok thanks!

No problem!

so excited! i have a screamin’ good connection now. dumping the old connection and re-connecting was a breeze.

3 Likes

Glad to hear that :grin:

Just to clarify, add it as a new camera, but do not delete the camera from the app first. This way, the settings and 12 second cloud clips will be retained when it is reconnected.

3 Likes

i deleted it first, but all the settings stayed. i don’t care about the clips.

Your WiFi extender should use the same SSID and password so that your clients can seemlessly roam between the two access points. Naming the extender differently will work but it’s not recommended.

1 Like

I have a few cameras and smart plugs in a location where there are a few dead spots that seem to come and go. So I bought a China made URANT WiFi Range Extender model AC1200M. I just wanted to boost the existing router’s signal in the dead zones. I didn’t want to have to re-setup / re-teach all the cameras and plugs about a new router. I just wanted to set the extender up to be a repeater that looks the same as the original and still working Netgear modem/router. I understand from jjwatmyself’s post that I should rename the extender name and password to be identical to the current NetGear router’s name and password so that the Wyze cams can seamlessly choose whichever signal is the strongest at the time it re-starts (power off / power on). I plan to run an ethernet cable from the NetGear’s LAN port to the Extender’s WAN port (and I’ll use the extender’s single LAN port to continue the Ethernet cable to the magicJack I currently have Ethernetted back to the router). And them re-name and re-password the extender to be identical to the current NetGear router. Is that about right? I don’t want to have to re-teach the cameras.