WIFI activity question

I have a question about WIFI activity.

Do the Wyze cameras start streaming to wifi when you send a view request from you phone to view it? or is it always streaming. My internet isnt the greatest so if the cameras were always uploading all the time, i could not use them.

They are an on-demand camera.

They stream to the Internet if you or someone you shared your camera with is viewing the live stream or playback mode from outside your house. Otherwise not.

They stream point-to-point within your house if you are viewing only from inside your house, with some light housekeeping communications to the Internet to keep connections ready for any authorized external requests.

Otherwise they do not transmit except to upload 12-second clips for pixel movement.

3 Likes

P.S. – If you don’t have at least an 802.11n router, then you should think about upgrading it. I was forced to upgrade my old ‘G’ router when it just couldn’t handle other demands I was making on it, long before I bought a Wyze cam.

3 Likes

Is the point to point confirmed? Because my LAN traffic monitor says all data is going to out cloud, not being routed to phone via internal LAN. (Data packets are coming from Internet for that camera)

All data? Point-to-point is the way it should be working, with minimal housekeeping going to & from the Internet to keep connections ready for any authorized external use. Unless you or someone you shared your camera with is viewing the live stream or playback mode from outside your house, say from your cell phone network. Then you would see everything go to the Internet.

I’d consider a support request to explain this activity. We have heard of malfunctioning cameras in the past that did things like this, but I am not currently aware of a bug that would explain it. The only thing that should explain all data going to the Internet is a share you made, or you being outside the network.

2 Likes

Okay. I’m about to replace my whole WiFi network anyway, so I’ll plan to look into it while I’m doing that.

Thanks for the info!