Wife requests using WYZE sense on Toilet seat

Ok, so one day after I received my WYZE Sense starter kit, my wife suggested I figure out a way to use a WYZE sensor to remind me to lower the toilet seat.

You know, alerts for toilet seat open … toilet seat closed … toilet seat left open more than 5 minutes.

I think this is a great idea … somewhat sexist, but still a great idea.

However, there is no way I am giving this a second thought.

I’m also joking! Please don’t take this seriously!

8 Likes

LOL happy wife happy life remember:joy:

My question has always been 'Why is it our responsibility to put the seat down for the females in our lives?"

Why can’t they be bothered to put the seat up for us?:thinking:

10 Likes

I guess if we, folks who don’t sit, have latrine duty, one might be a bit more understanding. Back in the '70s during our back to the land experience, we had a 2 holer with a picture window. It was nice to look out over the valley, but at night it was difficult to to hit either hole, Consequently we decided, folks who stood with strong support from those who sat, that we should all sit. It’s amazing how that decision has shaped my life. Never stood again, unless there is a tree or a urinal.

6 Likes

Everyone please put the LID down on the exposed port to an open sewer in your house.

Unless you have a pet or a kid that likes to drink from the bowl, that is. Or a cat that can poop in it.

It’s not nice to just have an open toilet. Closed lid = better for everyone.

5 Likes

Hmmmm, good point on having my wife leave the seat up … wonder if I could figure out a way to place sensor on toilet tank … and the magnet on the seat … so that the “closed” position would actually be the seat in the “up” position … and the “open” position would be in the “down” position.

Yeah, no, that wouldn’t fly with my wife.

On second thought … and after discussion with my wife … I’ve decided to wait until WYZE releases a WATERPROOF sensor before placing on the toilet seat … waterproof for reasons I won’t explain on this family-oriented forum

3 Likes

@gotcolor you have rain that shoots in a stream in an arc? This I have to see. :laughing:

Using the tank for the sensor base and mounting the contact on the LID would be the most sanitary application. :biohazard: Your wife or whomever you decided to share this newfound electronic knowledge, would just have to understand that open is closed and closed is open.

If you wanted to have the logic correct you could mount the magnet at the back left or right of the toilet seat and silicone the base to the side of the toilet bowl. I would not do this because of the exposure to unsanitary conditions over time and the application of cleaning chemicals that the sensor is not designed to come into contact with.

For the person who says “just silicone it” that may be fine up until you have to change the battery. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies … however, I’m not really serious about putting a WYZE sensor on a toilet seat!

Just joking about a unique way of solving an age old problem of “toilet seat up … versus toilet seat down.”

A problem that has plagued humanity since the invention of the toilet.

Oh man, ozydingo has managed to make the toilet sensor a reality!

3 Likes

These feeds are cracking me up

Sorry, but my “sewage portal” is sparkling white and smells faintly of bleach. There is nothing offensive about it. I’ll put the lid down if I need something to sit on. Maybe you need Chlorox bleach tablets or a new brush or something.

1 Like

It’s like gates on a farm. If you find the gate open, you leave it open. If it’s closed, you close it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Sounds like a great compromise for a happy marriage!

If you suggest to Wyze a garage door sensor that is accelerometer-based, then you can use it for a toilet seat application without needing to advertise your use case. :slight_smile: ie. A sensor that senses its orientation. Xiaomi/Aqara has one already that should be adaptable to this to minimize tooling and mfg costs. Liquid proofing it would be extra though… Need a single custom gasket for that.

I get the impression that most of you have never had the unpleasant experience of being mostly asleep, finding yourselves waking up to dire need for the facilities in the middle of the night, and then the rude awakening of splashing down into the (sparkling white and bleachy) sewage portal. A thoroughly unpleasant experience to be sure.

Team Toilet Seat Down all the way! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

As a mom here… I want to find out how to do this! Also how to make sure they flush - just saying!! :smiley:

1 Like

Ok guys, Gwen has spoken!

And we all know what that means! Time to toe the line!

She has the power to ban us from the community … so I pledge to follow Team Toilet Seat Down the next time I have to use the facility.

But, I’ll probably forget my pledge by tomorrow. I’m just saying.

1 Like

Hah! Let your wife know that I said, “You’re welcome!” :wink:

I promise not to ban anyone for their seat preferences. I do not promise that I won’t make silly faces at you through the screen as I pretend to be shocked and appalled. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have always been the sole “stander” as a child and later as an adult… I was 15 before I even knew you could lift it up. When our kids were little, a guest left the seat up - I know because of the shriek from my daughter who got a unexposed dunking. I would be suicidal to leave it up. The funny thing to me is that while my wife is away and I am home alone, I just leave it up in spite of my training. This topic is hilarious!