Wi-Fi and HIdden SSID ------- CAM's

I was wondering,

Does any of the Wyze Cams support connecting to Wireless, when the SSID is hidden?

I want to secure my wireless network further, and not expose the wireless network name,
Turn off Wireless Broadcast of the SSID

Will any of the cams still connect?

I used to do it with Wyze, but I’ve since learned a hidden SSID isn’t effective. The more technically advanced bad guys can still find your network whether the SSID is hidden or not, and those are the ones you need to worry about. So mine is unhidden now, which alleviates some issues I ran into with the installation of various products.

1 Like

Thank you for reading my post.

I totally understand what you are saying.
The way I look at it, is every bit of security helps.
I don’t want to be the training grounds for new up an coming hackers, using port scans or wireless scans against my network, as that can also cause performance issues and such.

The other thing I am thinking of doing to further secure the cams from my internal network for which I have them connected to now, is to move them over to the Wireless Guest Network, and create another layer of security, so that if they get past the hidden SSID, they dont gain access to the rest of my network so easily.

I’ll have to give the hidden SSID a try, and see if I run into any issues.

Thx !

Just wanted to follow up to my initial post.

I just moved/migrated all my v2 & v3 WyzeCams to the Guest Network,
while hiding the SSID.

So far everything is working well.

I have cam V3 and during the 2023 work well with hidden SSID networks running on 2.4 GHz with WPA2. However the las update 4.36.11.7095 made some tricky things, after the installation the cams are not able to find hidden networks so they are unconnected.

The solution was to change settings on the router to show the SSID and after the camaras are back online then you can go and hide the network once a gain.

Hope research and development team take this note and rollback the camara settings so theres no need to make any change in the router.

I don’t hide my SSID, but I keep my WiFi router locked down very tight including a 24 character WiFi password with random numbers and letters. Also, change the password to get into the router configuration settings. I frequently check the connected device page of my router and have never found any unknown devices on my network. Here are 10 tips for securing your WiFi from CNET.