Why was Android hardware decoding removed?

If the code in the library was written correctly, it would automatically enable hardware decoding when the device supports it, and automatically turn it off when the device does not support it.

It sounds like the library code is not doing that.

Not much Wyze can do about it.

1 Like

Since the latest “update” the app has become useless.

1 Like

My problems are identical to yours. Same firmware rev and same software rev. Prior to that the app was almost perfect.

1 Like

Please see the following thread:

I have rolled back to the previous App Version, and all of my issues are now gone.

1 Like

Is there an official way to download older app version APKs or at least official checksum of the APK? Would prefer to not have to depend on a third-party site.

1 Like

Here is the post with an official link from a WYZE employee

6 Likes

I was about to share the link to the APK here but Jason beat me to it! Thank you for the feedback, everyone. We’re evaluating different solutions for this and have made the previous APK available in the meantime.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009818512-Android-Wyze-App

4 Likes

Not everyone has a new $1000.00 phone. If venture a guess that people who buy wyze Cam are cost conscious and don’t upgrade every 6 months, so having hardware decoding makes sense for us value seekers, who likely are the majority of your customers, otherwise we’d be in the Arlo forums with money to burn.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link … It’s working great again.

2 Likes

How does one install the apk file after downloading? Don’t see instructions?

Good morning, What is the process for installing the down loaded file? Thank you.

@securitycamguy @TWEISAND Instructions for installing the APK download can be found in the link below:

Follow the 8 steps in this how to guide.

APK Installation Step by Step

2 Likes

Great info. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Hope it works out for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Just did it. Seems to be working fine. Thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks…I get that part of it but how do the cameras get updated? The phone app updates all the cameras automatically?

The camera firmware is separate from the app updates. Yes, the phone will update the app automatically so to prevent it from updating the app again to the new version, you will have to turn off auto updates. It’s about the only solution at the moment. Please read my other post on this topic below:

3 Likes

Just to add to what @StopICU33 said, the firmware for the camera is not the worry, you can let those update, keep the app from updating until the issue is resolved

3 Likes

The cameras do not need updated. The app needs to be rolled back to a previous version.

3 Likes

Sorry…thought I saw someone say the camera had to be updated. Clearly it is just the app.

1 Like