Why is this camera reporting to China?

Let’s be clear that no one has provided any evidence of that in this thread. This thread started because someone thought a hardware address lookup of a network card manufacturer name meant the camera was reporting to China. There are threads for any actual China evidence if you have any. Let’s keep this thread about the hardware address, which is where it started.

1 Like

See you go away for a few days and miss all the fun.
Billy the camera manufacturer has has a MAC address range that’s unique to him. They make 10 widgets. Each widget has one address from within the range along with the name of the manufacturer. In this case China. Mary buys a widget from Billy and to make it her own, she covers up his MAC address with her own so it says Mary. That’s the sole relationship here. The fact that the camera has China stamped in the microcode, that’s what it says unless you overwrite it. It’s not calling China just because China is stamped on the chip. It’s practically graffiti. Sometimes, things get screwy when Billy’s widget’s boot up the firmware. Maybe there’s a comma missing in the code somewhere and it sporadically screws up the overwrite. Maybe it’s a errant voodoo spell. This went for a simple explanation to the X files pretty quickly :flying_saucer: I’m running a logging sniffer and I see every packet from every device and know exactly what it’s doing. What i’m not seeing are any Wyze cams trying to call the Billy at the mothership. mothership (which is more that I can say for my hikvision and dahau ip cameras that are relentless btw). . Every Wyze outbound traffic went to an IP address that ultimately resolved to an aws access node. Y’all need to relax, have a cold one :beer: and calm down. Besides - it’s Google you really should be worried about.

4 Likes

The overwrite can only happen in the camera. You’re not going to change a MAC address while it’s in transit (well, technically with a mim attack you might but why would you want to :man_shrugging:) to aws.

GregLock, I scooped up your ticket and sent the number over to the point of contact for looking into this. I’m sorry, due to how late in the day and week it is you probably won’t hear back until next week. We appreciate you sending in your ticket! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

E.T. reference? :slight_smile:

Here is an update from my ticket if anyone is interested.

I pulled logs from the camera and sent them to support. Support states:

Our engineers are actively working on a solution for this. At this time, I believe the fix will be rolled out in a future firmware update, but it shouldn’t impact the functionality of the cameras themselves in the meantime!

Support seems very responsive and easy to work with.

我是高兴

1 Like

i’m seeing the same issue on my cameras, Tried rebooting a couple of times, the device still has the c8:02:8f mac address

It’s not a functional issue. If you MAC filter, just add in the address of the network card.

In respond to the Question of why do you think it is recordong to china. Well i cant speak for the op, but for me, as im having the same thing happen. Its not because of the mac a dressed manufacture that im saying it is recordong to china but rather because it is making connections using common (8080&443) and uncommon (21047) ports to a serve that is within china.

@Infamousadmin, could you upload a screen capture of your mysterious China connections? That shouldn’t be happening.

Now to be clear im not starting that theres anything doing in it containers a serve in china, and maybee that part is common and i simply dont know of it, also it doesnt seem to be a aws server thats in china and i belive i read on here somewhere that they went using any aws server in china for this exact reason but i could be totally wrong on that part so im not starting that theres any thing nefarious going on simply that it does infact SEEM to be countacting china and not anything to do with its mac address

*edit. Oh wait im sorry i made a mistake/mixup(just woak up) its the app thats connecting to the server not the camra. Sure one secUploading: Screenshot_20190912-103446_App Snitch.jpg… q

1 Like

I think your picture upload might have glitched.

1 Like

Here the Screenshot but as you see i wasn’t thinking at all. its the app on my phone thats connecting a server in china not the cameras.

Screenshot_20190912-103442_App%20Snitch

because of this i just cheacked and here are the exact servers my cameras are connecting to. (All the cameras are connecting to the exact same ones and it seems all good to me. All though im obviously No exspert

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting this! I’ll send this to the team so they can look into it.

3 Likes

We made effort to limit the camera traffic to be within North America. The app may still contact our P2P service provider’s (TUTK) servers worldwide. We will work in stages to have the app traffic in North America in the future.

6 Likes

我们不是在监视你。我承诺。另外,请清洁相机镜头。我很难看到你的照片

3 Likes

lol dave. :laughing:

Or should I say 哈哈,戴夫

3 Likes

Good one

2 Likes

2 Likes