Why does the Wyze cam go offline intermittently?

I am monitoring my a spot remotely and it’s difficult for me to get to. Sometimes the wyze cam will “go offline” without reason. This is very difficult for me to get to it and restart it. Most of my devices that are connected to WiFi will automatically reconnect if there is downtime. Not the wyze cam though. This is a serious security breach and my confidence in this product is waning. I cannot physically go to the cameras location. You really need to fix this. None of my other devices connected to the WiFi have this problem, if there is a disruption in signal all other devices reconnect, except the WAZE cam. You need to address and fix this problem.

1 Like

Have you considered using a Wyze plug at the remote location? I have 4 smart plugs and they work great for power cycling the cams.

1 Like

What build of Firmware are you on? I’ve got 6 cameras w/ SD cards set on continuous record 900 miles away. 5 are now on build 4.9.5.24, one is on RTSP. The power goes out occasionally, the real slow network goes out occasionally. Only once during last summer did we have a power failure where the cameras did not come back by themselves. This was right after a Beta upgrade. We had about 4 other interruptions lasting from a few minutes to a few hours during the summer.

I keep the router on an UPS, but the cameras are not on an UPS. I’ve relatives nearby that are on the same power/network providers, so I can tell when either or both power/network is down. Several times in the last two months power and network has gone out. The last time it was for about 6 hours off, half an hour on, then several more hours off. All the cameras reconnected fine.
I’m on Android but I don’t think that makes a difference.

1 Like

As far as I know it’s on the latest. 2.5.53? Is that right. Whenever it prompts me to update it I do. Mine seems to “go offline” every few weeks or so. it has since I got it. It is it’s biggest problem. Otherwise I like it.

Now, I was just now able to go in and reset it everything manually but I’m not always able to do this. I wonder if you have any insight as to why yours work for so long and mine do not?

Thank you,

Kyle.

Is your router on a UPS?
If you just unplug the cameras and plug them back in do they reconnect?

I don’t know what a ups is. No, if the camera is unplugged it won’t reconnect. I have to actually have to delete the device in the app
And start fresh.

Reads like it’s time for a support request.
An ups is an uninterruptible power supply.

2 Likes

The cameras should reconnect without going through the setup process each time. I agree with @gemniii it’s time to contact the Wyze support team and start a support ticket.

1 Like

Also time to buy a UPS.

I even have one on my media center.

1 Like

Thank you, I think I will do that.

2 Likes