Why does the camera need to be power cycled after internet or power loss

In my case the camera is literally less then a foot away from the router, so location is not an issue and as mentioned before Xiaomi and Amcrest cameras are on a much further positions and none of them have this issue. So definitely Wyze problem.

Please report it. If people don’t report via a ticket, the problem will never get fixed. Wyze does not monitor the user forums to any significant degree.

1 Like

Just had this happen.
I’ve 6 camera on line in Fulton, Mississippi. They are all on Firmware v4.9.4.108. A recent storm caused a momentary power outage. All 6 lost wifi connection. Error code 90. The only way I’ve gotten 4 cameras to come back on line was to unplug them and plug them back in.
Tried power cycling via the app - no go
Have not made it to the other two yet.

With prior firmwares they would reconnect after a power outage.

/edit - I just recently upgraded them all to FW v4.9.4.108, seems like a mistake now. I really don’t want to buy a UPS for every camera.

I have my Wyze cameras plugged into Kasa Smart Plugs.
They cycle OFF and back on twice a night without any problems.
Brief power outage (similar to the Smart Plugs cycling.) seemed to cause no issues with recording.
I strongly suggest that anyone using any remote cameras plug them into Smart Plugs and install a UPS for your Internet Modem and the Wi-Fi Router.
This solves many problems with remote power outages.

After the UPS is installed, perform an emergency power outage by shutting down circuit breakers, see how long the UPS will last (or you could get a rough estimate by doing some math.) and how long the Modem and Wi-Fi router will stay online.
Once the power comes back online, the cameras should cycle and reconnect.
You should be good to go as long as the power outage isn’t for days and only a brief one.

Obviously get the biggest UPS you can afford.
I’ve even modified one of mine to use a large marine battery for longer outages.

1 Like

I’m not going to buy $30 plugs and associated WIFI connections… for $20 camera. Issue is with AC power loss and WIFI loss at same time, followed by AC reset, but no WIFI for up to 5 min. No issue with previous frimware.

2 Likes

Don’t.
Most smart plugs are around $12-15 each.

You’ll still have a problem and I won’t.

Plus, I’ll still have far less $$ into each functioning camera than most others on the market.

Totally agree, there should be no extra expenses involved, buying a product comes with the expectation to work as advertised and not use tips and tricks and extra expenses to reach that point.

I have never had any problem with Internet out or power out, everything comes back up on its own

2 Likes

I had this same issue. 2 of 3 cams didn’t reconnect after power blinked. The suggestion to plug the Wyze cams into a smart plug seems ridiculous. So the smart plug will reconnect to WiFi after a power blink but not the smart cam. This obviously implies a fault with the Wyze cams if the smart plug can reconnect automatically. Why should we need to buy another device that costs 50% of the price of the cam. My Nest cams always reconnected after a momentary power blink. Yes I realize Nest cams are more expensive and these are only $20 cams but if a $10 smart plug can automatically reconnect then these cams should as well!

2 Likes

Me too.

Thought I had this issue today, too. Power went off and on several times over the course of a few minutes. It probably caught the cameras mid-restarted at least once. All my cameras except two (which happened to be my only RTSP pans) came back online by themselves. After power cycling those two pans, they still did not come online so dug deeper. I checked an echo dot on the same wall and it was working. Pulled power again and waiting to see if they spun during power on… no luck. /sigh I finally checked a lamp in the same outlet as one of the cameras, and it wasn’t working! Turned out to be the GFI in the kitchen got thrown during the on/off/on/off power fun.

Rolled back firmware on CAM v2 and PAN to 4,9.4.37 and 4.10.3.60. Lost all power and internet from tornado. Power back on after 30 hrs… internet back-non 3 hrs later. Both devices reconnected automatically with no issues.

Thanks, Rich

You can have your opinions or conjectures, but, FACTS are FACTS.

Lost power today for a moment. Some devices restarted fine, others did not. All firmware is up to date. I had to power off and on the devices in order for them to connect. I have google mesh.

This is not acceptable, we travel some and we cannot unplug and plug in the Wyze cameras (and attached sensors) when we are away.

Could you tell us what came back in line and what didn’t?
And what the FW version is?
I had the same problem and attributed it to a firmware upgrade. Eventually I replaced my router. Doesn’t seem to have fixed it entirely.

I still have a problem with a smart plug, because I miss all the activity between the moment the camera disconnects and the moment I find out it did.
It’s sad because despite the gorgeous design, the low price and all the advanced options, this product turned out to be a total waste of time for me.
A different brand camera connected to the same power and internet ap works perfectly all the time so yes, there is something seriously wrong with my camera hardware or firmware. I will request a repair or replacement under warranty but reading other people’s experiences I am not too optimistic.

My internet periodically is turned off, and I was also seeing the camera fail to reconnect when it reappeared. This started for me with the 2019 firmware. I installed the 3.9.3.88 firmware to my V1 cam instead of the latest, and it appears to be able to reconnect.

I filed a ticket, but I don’t sense that my concern is being registered as a FW issue. I keep getting requests to explore warranty HW replacement. It’s frustrating.

I plan to keep the last 2018 firmware in place until the release notes suggest corrective action.

1 Like

Latest software seems to have mostly corrected it, at least Im mo longer having power reset issues with my camera and cam.

I had a power surge last night and my whole system is down … what do I do cuz turning all the lights on and back off isn’t working the cameras I haven’t even tried … I really don’t want to have to pair all 9 bulbs 3 cameras and 3 sensors back … yes the WiFi works the internets on googles running

Try turning them off, then on. :wink:

Seriously, a power cycle should work. Mine come back without one, but you may have an environment where they don’t. You should never need to formally re-add them. The only exception I can think of is when the power outage fluctuates three times – then the bulbs may need to be re-added.

1 Like

Not yet…still a problem…have to be on site…every time…have 2 different homes with different hardware…its these cameras and hubs…also happens without losing power or provider. Have 10 cameras 4 hubs…getting very old like a little hobby not ready for prime time. Not fixing old problems…just rolling out more new products for the money…