Why a big gap like 5-6 minutes between basic cam recordings?

Thank you, I will. I do have a new cell, with the latest android. They told me to increase sensitivity, still did not work. As long as it records the event, I’m ok with it. It worked ok for a while,then all of a sudden it went back to delay. I will check out the threads. TY.

1 Like

Do the delayed notifications pile on after you wake the phone, as in get a bunch at once when you unlock the screen? It’s an Android “doze” issue. Effects some stuff, and unfortunately Wyze notifications is one of them.

Not having that issue, only " delayed" person notification by about anywhere from 5 - 10 mins late…??

I’m not sure that’s a valid/total explanation.

As an experiment I set up 3 cameras monitoring the same area - Wyze Pan, ReoLink and Wansview with notifications set to ‘on’ for all of them.

Without fail the the ReoLink and Wansview alerts would be received within seconds (never more than 4 or 5 max, normally less than 3) of the motion event with the Wyze alerts following in (‘not even close’ :checkered_flag:) third place. At times the Wyze alert wouldn’t be received for minutes after the others.

For every test I made sure the triggering motions were more than 6 or 7 minutes apart to eliminate the 5 minute cool down being a factor.

It may sound good to deflect the blame to the Android OS but my real world experience says otherwise.

When working properly Wyze notifications are on the slow side around 15 seconds for me for V2s. This is because the notification is sent after the clip is recorded and uploaded so that when the notification is clicked the clip is available to view and play.

Where the Android OS is partially to blame is when those notifications take minutes to come or a flood of notifications come all at once when the phone is woken up. It is easy to see that android doze is partially responsible for this since this behavior completely vanishes if doze is disabled via ADB command.

1 Like

That’s could certainly be an explanation but where the argument fails is the behavior is still there when the Wyze app is active (as in visible on the screen), as it was in my testing.

The Wyze notifications in my testing were always that last ones received - without exception - and sometimes by minutes. The primary problem is in the Wyze ‘back end’ processing, no doubt in my mind - and no amount of rationalization about Android ‘doze’ mode can change that.

If the notification is taking minutes with the phone active I don’t think it’s doze and it is probably something else. You could try run the ADB command to see if it fixes anything or not just to be safe.

As I said, it’s the Wyze ‘back end’ processing. Absolutely nothing to do with my phone or tablet (ran tests using both), router, modem or ISP. I’ve never had a delay with either the ReoLink or Wansview camera notifications - ever. Nowhere left to point the finger except Wyze.

I went through this exercise because I’m retired (30+ years in I.T. so I’m more than casually familiar with technology) and have nothing better to do with my time because of CoVid restrictions.

I’ve already made the decision to leave the ‘Wyze family’ and move on to something that works reliably and have no inclination to go into my devices at a bit/byte level to do trouble shooting for a company that’s demonstrated multiple times that QA is not very high on their priority list.

As an aside, again last night the Wyze camera failed to detect motion and set an event or even record locally while the ReoLink camera mounted right next to it did. It was not subtle but a full size pickup truck pulling into my driveway all the way up to the garage that Wyze missed. :frowning_face: Someone in a different thread mentioned that a murder could take place in full view of the camera and not be detected - there’s no doubt in my mind that could happen (or not happen if you prefer)

Best of luck with whichever products you switch to then!

Yes, I completely agree and am kind of confused how this is even a viable product?. I assume most people are using it for home monitoring and most are probably using it for the front of the home. Assuming the buyer anticipated app/notification’s/cloud use. In that application this camera is basically useless. 12 seconds after it detects a vehicle in the street or approaching pedestrian its done! You will not have the theft or altercation available. Think about 12 seconds on 5 minutes off, 12 seconds on…etc. So minimal it really doesn’t even justify learning the app interface and installation of the camera.
Everyone here chimes in well thats what you get for $20. Well, to them first off mine cost $33 at home depot. I was not stuck to a $20 budget. I thought the camera was a more ligitamate viable product. And the SD card access is so cramped, my SD card slot is loose and Extremely finicky so I also have a hard time understanding people talking about continous recording to SD cards with cameras mounted out of reach. One person stated he has many mounted under his eaves outside in protective cases. How would you access the SD card files in these installations?
At best you could get 3-5 days of continuous recording on the SD card. So get your ladder out and spare SD cards every 72 hours…ya right?
Am I missing something here?
I see offers of Beta Testing membership on solutions here from Wyze. SO IS THERE A WORK AROUND FOR THIS PROBLEM ALREADY AVAILABLE? LIKE THE SUBSCRIPTION??
OR IS THIS PRODUCT STILL IN DEVELOPMENT R&D. ? So many diverse technical suggestions being presented its like we are there engineers or something. Do they really need all this feedback to understand these obvious shortcomings?
Honestly, let’s not kid ourselves, 12 seconds only is a JOKE in the world of monitoring or surveillance. One burglary victim said the police actually laughed at him, He got video of the guy walking up to the door, but not the guy leaving with all his stolen stuff. Probably meaning no legal evidence of the crime?

Anybody now what Brand, other cameras would be a economical replacement/ upgrade. Or what Brand has the best all around value package with reasonable priced cloud access? I heard Arlo?

Seems like an oldschool hardwired security camera to your own looping dvr is still the best to be sure ALl events get recorded. I can probably find one from the 90’s for cheap that would blow the doors of this product. And you don’t even need all this motion activated nonsense if everything is recorded anyway! This wyze cam seems like a phone accessory toy to anyone in the industry. And Wyze is openly admitting to cloud storage business feasibility “challenges”
Wireless anything is way more limited and problematic than wired. Always will be… suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Almost everything you said is correct but a paid CamPlus subscription does away with a lot of your concerns. Agreed, wired has got to be better.

Why would you need to access the card every 72 hrs? You can view the recordings without removing the card. Or put it on motion only and you get way more than 3 days. The card will over write the old stuff so no need to remove the card except when your wanting to replace it. And since your not stuck to a budget why not just get the cam plus subscription?? I seriously doubt any of us are stuck with a 20 dollar budget. I have both wyze and eufy and both have there strengths and weaknesses. The eufy is definitely way faster on notifications I will give you that.

I seemed to be able to get the 32G SD card working fine on one cam that I was trying so far, but viewing the playback from the SD card is not as easy as viewing an event recording, especially when you want to rewind for a few seconds. It doesn’t seem to have the 5-6 minute cool down. Looks like that’s the option I have to use unless Wyze change their cam to remove the basic “no cooldown” function.

Just received my Wyze outdoor cam and now I have 7 Wyze cams. The outdoor cam does have 3 user-selectable cooldown options (1, 3, and 5 mins), Even with the 1-min cooldown, you may miss some important events that you want to see within that minute.

I tried the SD card on the outdoor cam but there’s no way to view the recording, at least not from the Wyze app. Looks like one will really need to bring the ladder to take out the SD card every time you want to review the recording from the SD card if you mount the outdoor cam high outside your house to monitor the front of your house, that’s normally the case for most people if they put it outdoor. I don’t understand why they don’t have a view playback function like the indoor cams do, perhaps to save battery power, but that’s very rare if that’s the reason, It should be left for users to decide if that option should be enabled or disabled.

What is the micro SD card slot on the outdoor camera for?
The micro SD card slot on the camera is meant for the time lapse and scheduled recording features.
This is meant to save videos that you intend to shoot with the camera such as a specific task continuously recorded over a couple of hours or monitoring a remote area without WiFi.
This is not meant for constant continuous recording like with Wyze Cam v2.
What is the micro SD card slot on the base station for?
The micro SD card slot on the base station is meant for a backup of the 12-second Event Videos.
This is a good feature to use if you are concerned about the camera becoming lost, stolen, or damaged where it is mounted.

Continuously recording to a micro SD card like Wyze Cam v2 will make the battery life extremely short.
Because of this, we did not build this feature and Wyze Cam v2 is still the best option for this use case.
However, we did build a “Scheduled Recording” feature where you can schedule specific times for the camera to continuously record to its local micro SD card
or record when PIR is triggered though this will reduce battery life.

I want to say that I do like the Wyze family of products, especially the pricing since it’s much more affordable compare to other brands. However, they would do much better for the company if they can improve the qualify and usability further and be more generously to make things right. For example, the 5-6 minute cool down that is limiting the basic function of the camera that I have not seen on other brands.

I got the Wyze sense but it’s not functioning properly, I had to reset the camera hosting the bridge every day to get the contact and motion sensors to work. They shipped me a replacement but I was never able to get the replacement to work, maybe because I already had the first bridge and all the other contacts and components pairing with the first bridge could not be paired with the replacement bridge. I even deleted everything from the Wyze app but I still could not pair any more contact and motion sensors with the old or replacement bridge. I have 2 sets of Wyze sense sitting there collecting dust now as they can’t be used. I have spent quite a lot of time following their instructions properly but still not working, even trying the bridge on different cams.

I believe qualify is important for users if Wyze believes that.

Thanks for explaining but don’t think “Scheduled Recording” feature is a useful feature for some people. Things are dynamic so I don’t know when things are happening through the day if I put this cam outside my house to monitor the front of the house for example. I want to be able to capture by motion, say when a delivery comes and goes. I can not use Cam v2 for that because I don’t have power source to where I want to put the outdoor cam. That’s the reason I bought the outdoor cam.

I think Wyze should do usability study on what is useful. If Wyze enable the feature, users would have an option to disable or enable it if the can compromise shorter battery life for what they want.

The 12sec recording with 5 min cool down is a free service that I’ve found no one else gives you. If you want no cool down/ linger record times all you have to do is use a SD card just like you would have to with eufy. Also if you do decide to buy the better service AKA cam plus it’s cheaper than ever Others as well for instance wyze cam plus year rate is 15 bucks per cam per year where eufy is 29.99 per cam per year. I can’t figure out why everyone doesn’t like the 12 sec 5 min cool down being it’s totally free. No one else gives you free cloud storage.

2 Likes

This. People don’t appreciate how much we’re really getting. And few other vendors have nearly this level of support either.

1 Like

Because for all practical purposes it’s useless - regardless of price. If you have a 2nd ‘incident’ within 5 minutes of the first it’s like it never happened. No notification, no record, etc. The only way to know anything happened is to use an SD card and manually scan through all recordings.

At better way would be to send/log an alert with the date/time so it would be possible to look at a specific locally recorded video clip versus viewing every one on the card. That at least would have some value.