Which camera to use inside a bat house?

I am building a bat house that will be mounted on, or close enough to my house, for WiFi to work between a camera built into/onto the bat house and my home router. Which camera would be ideal for this application? It could be built inside the bat house, so weatherproofing would be available. Or it could be mounted onto the bat house’s exterior but looking inside through a portal, in which case it would be exposed to weather. It would have to have very close focus and would have to see inside the very dark interior. I have no idea if the Wyzecams’ IR lights would be helpful or harmful/useless in this application. I would welcome any comments or advice. Thank you.

I would use the v3 Cam as it is outdoor rated, so you can use it in or out of the bat house. The V2 works well as well, but not outdoor rated. I believe the v3 has a better picture. Both require power, will this be an issue?

2 Likes

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

What, he said comments were welcome.

2 Likes

What features would you like? All the focal lengths for all the Wyze cameras are pretty much the same, are you looking for live viewing only? Or any detection? What kind of video recording are you looking for, if any? Those are the features that will help determine which camera to steer you to. All the cameras have ir illumination. What about available power to the house? That is also a feature to help steer which camera to use.

Use the V3 due to low light,zoom,spotlight kit that you can add

V3 ! Post some vids of it , this is going to be so cool :sunglasses:

I’m only interested in live viewing, not so much in recording. I have an outdoor cam that I could use during the wintertime, anyway, and that would certainly simplify the power problem. I also have an underused V3, but it would be a hassle to figure out how to run power to it if I put the bat house where I’m thinking it would work best. No, wait a minute, I just figured that out, I think! Anyway, I believe it will be too dark inside the bat house, even for a V3. Bats like it really dark inside. I still need to research the IR aspect of all this, to see if IR would provide enough illumination. Or I could shift the project, not putting the camera inside, but just below/beside the entrance (at the bottom of the bat house) where the little critters come in for a landing and climb up inside. Since this would be at dusk or dark, the V3 would probably work best.

Use V3 and I would put a spot light kit on it so you can manually turn it on/off

Use V3 and use newly release Lamp socket to power the V3 if you have light/lamp near by