What is the ma drain per hour at five volts for the v2

Can someone tell me what the milliamp drain is per hour for a v2 running full spec without WiFi. Also, does the unit continue to try to connect continuously to WiFi every second and can that he turned off?

Couple of variables - are the IR LEDs on or off and to a lesser extent how much WiFi usable there. Rough numbers are about 1.5 watts or 300mA with the LEDs off and 2 watts or 400mA with the LEDs on. Yes, it will connect to the WiFi that it is configured for if it is available - you can’t turn that off. If you could turn it off, how would you turn the WiFi back on?

I found the question interesting, too. I plugged one of my V2 cameras into a USB meter and got similar numbers to K6CCC (Ham? I’m W8JSU). Most of the time my camera was drawing 0.32 Amps, with a range between 0.28 and 0.36. At startup it drew 0.55A. When I switched it to night mode and turned on the IR LEDs it was around0.40 with a max of 0.65A.

The reason I am asking is because I am trying to power it with a bank, and then have the bank recharged during other times. I won’t need WiFi, but I worried that it will continue to drain more energy trying persistantly to connect to WiFi (or, when a cell phone cannot find coverage, it goes into overtime trying to find a signal). Ir would be off.

Would this help? Write up from last year.

And

Thank you guys. As far as WiFi on and off configuration , I was hopeful for a sec that there was a non sanctioned firmware somewhere to open up options via ssh and to access the camera locally like the the official webcam firmware. I believe giving us an api will do wonders for Wyze and their cameras, especially now that and many will have v2s sitting around after an v3 upgrade.

I can envision so much that could be accomplished for the maker people fan api was released. Imagine integration with raspberry and the like, etc.

Cli via usb would be a good start.

The interesting part I remember from these discussions was that it uses just about the same amount of power when it is toggled “off”.

This is true. Because from what I understand, it never really is off…

2 Likes

I have been thinking about using a Wyze V3 in my car, overnight, to do some covert surveillance without killing the car battery. I have a couple 10,000mah power banks. Then I thought about the 450VA UPS that keeps my cable modem and router working for almost 2 hours during a power outage. The manufacturer’s page has a calculator “Run time for load” and when I arbitrarily enter 5 watts, it suggests the UPS would provide power for 6 hours 59 minutes. If you have a UPS and you’re a little bit crazy like me, you might consider using your UPS for short term video recording away from home.

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-6-Outlets-450VA-120V-Retail/P-BN450M

My project is to protect the surround of my vehicle when it is parked. A couple of hours and to provide a rear view camera (I already have a front facing dash). It should be in range of WiFi when at home, and I may stuff a phone with hotspot when i park. I have not worked out the details yet.

As for running Wyze cameras from your vehicle. I currently have two V2 cameras and a V3 camera in my pickup truck. All are plugged into a cigarette lighter to quad USB outlet adapter that is always on. As long as I drive the truck every couple days, there is no problem powering all three cameras from the vehicle battery. The only time I ran the battery down was when I had COVID in December and did not start the truck for five days. The battery was way too low to start the engine.