What do you think of A Space Heater

As with any customer service representatives from wyze.

The best way to gather requirements for a new product that most thought they didn’t need is to throw a bone and let everyone chew. :grinning: If you look carefully at the profile, Chuan has been actively watching us chew.

“The maximum number of people have used this form”

This is a very bad idea. I live in the northeast US. Every holiday season numerous homes burn down because of space heaters being used to heat areas and people forgetting about them; plugging in to inadequate wiring; or placement too close to flammable items.

I can think of few products that would be less suited to the Wyze product line.

It’s probably a very easy item to source in Asia. Importing this may seem like quick money but you will regret doing so the day someone starts a home fire with it. Even if you manage not to be legally liable, your brand will be associated with a cheap dangerous item.

1 Like

Do not attribute to craft that which is more readily attributable to sloth and ordinary incompetence. I’ve read the survey (the one that is already closed). There is no overarching plan or design. If he or she gave a crap they would guide this conversation, not abandon it.

It would not come on if it was on its side or it would turn off if tipped over.

Yes the wyze plugs are wonderful for simple controls :+1:

1 Like

I read the survey and submitted it even though I don’t plan on buying a smart space heater. Oh wait… I said the same thing about the Wyze Scale. I’m glad I retired from product development… my chronic headaches are gone. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry, but I just don’t get it… A space heater? Where is the mass market for that? I have 6 cameras for my home, what is the need for multiple space heaters… especially with central HVAC? Maybe for an apartment or house trailer… But as someone poster… lots of automated space heaterse on the market and use temperature with the Wyze Plug (plus they are dangerous).

FOCUS - FOCUS - FOCUS

• There are so many more home automation and security products that Wyze should focus on.

For example… have you thought about:

• A light switch? (Look at the X10 Light Switch)
  • A siren to ward off detected intruders.
  • A high quality microphone+speaker.
  • A sensor that detects light.
  • A sensor that detects glass breaking.
  • A sensor for temperature & humidity.
    … just to name a few.

And let’s talk about water detection, and damage prevention (this is huge, do some research on insurance company claims).

• A water detecting sensor to alert when a leak happens. Place at: dish washer, clothing washer, hot water heater, under each sink, behind each toilet, basement, crawl space, and more.
  • A master water shutoff valve. Disconnects house from main supply line. Use it to disconect when leaving the premises for short and/or long periods of time. Use it to shut watter off when select water sensor is triggered (water leak).
  • A secondary water shutoff valve. Place at hot water heater, clothing washer, etc…
  • An inline water usage meter. Provides another way of monitoring water usage and watter leaks.

Focus…
~ GE

1 Like

Space heater is not something everyone around the country would use, especially in warmer climates.

How about a low cost electronic bidet with proximity sensor (touchless), heated seat, water, deodorizer and dryer? Also, voice activation for a full touchless, COVID-less experience.

2 Likes

Not that I’d want that either but the bidet is a better, much more useful, safer, and more appropriate product idea. Also, even funnier.

2 Likes

Bidet is a good idea, though I don’t need another one. It’s also a hot category right now. Be prepared for a flood of cheap plastic knock offs showing up on Amazon. The flood is already starting to gather strength.

1 Like

How can something you sit on with your bare bottom be COVID-19 proof? Seems that is a bigger transmission risk (and in some people, a LOT bigger) than touching a button.

Besides, most people wash their hands with soap and water after using that facility. I don’t know any who wash their butt with soap and water after sitting on the seat. :grin:

Many people wash their butt after going to take a poo (Why You Need to Try a High-Tech Japanese Toilet - YouTube).

Also, COVID has the potential to be transmitted through fecal transmission as well as aerosolized fecal matter (Infectious SARS-CoV-2 in Feces of Patient with Severe COVID-19 - Volume 26, Number 8—August 2020 - Emerging Infectious Diseases journal - CDC). A filtered extractor (deodorizer) with UV light could trap or reduce particles and nasty odors.

Or perhaps an attachment to allow for touchless flushing and sink faucet to avoid touching high-touch surfaces.

Also, the Wyze Smart Plug already gives space heaters and other appliances some of the abilities of “smart” devices.

2 Likes

My siren is driven by a smart plug the space heater would have a true thermostat not work when surface was too warm it would be a truly SMART space heater not a plug controlled space heater like my AC is. Wyze knows what they are doing we all know this that’s why we have their products

1 Like

It’s been mentioned in this thread already, but there are some “smart” things I’m not comfortable with and a space heater is one of them. I do use space heaters from time to time to even out the whole house heating or just make one room a bit more toasty. But I don’t leave space heaters running unattended, and one that can be switched on remotely could easily become unattended.

I do have a Wyze Plug attached to a dehumidifier so I can kick it on a few hours before I come home, but I wouldn’t use a Wyze Plug to create a “smart” space heater either. I can see this being a useful product for someone, just not me personally.

I would love to see a Wyze temperature/humidity monitor that could be used to trigger Wyze Plugs and turn any number of non-smart devices into smart ones, but that’s the tinkerer in me wanting to build custom home automation :slight_smile:

Unless it’s covered with open cuts your butt is already CoViD-19 proof. Don’t worry about that. Just keep washing your hands well and covering your face. And don’t touch anything because even now I don’t think many people are actually washing their hands.

It’s a respiratory infection.

Edit: I still put down paper on the seat but I’m crazy. Also haven’t used public facilities since early March.

This has got to be some kind of joke. Don’t do a space heater. Half of the US will not even need one. Do a wall switch instead, I need twelve right now.

1 Like

Yes exactly. I buy the Levitons but they are quite expensive.

I currently use Sonos, ewilink switches. Work great, integrate well with Alexa and Google but would like to stay within the wyze eco system.