Welcome Wyze Thermostat: the simple and affordable way to bring smart heating & cooling to your home - 10/6/20

I probably know the answer to this already, but here goes, do we know how much the external sensor is going to cost when it becomes available? Even a ballpark estimate would be nice… :wink:

2 Likes

My guess would be $20-$25. The lock keypad accessory is $20.

3 Likes

I don’t see the H/T/M sensor on Wyze shop. Where can we order that? @WyzeGwendolyn

1 Like

WYZE Team,
a great new addition I have been waiting for. I will need 3 thermostats (1 for downstairs and 2 for upstairs which has two zones.)
One thing I noticed in the video that there is some kind of plastic plate, probably since most if not all traditional thermostats are rectangles in ‘landscape mode’ and installing the oval WUZE thermostat may leave some unfinished or different shade color wall exposed.
Have you guys done testing with various model AC units? A HVAC technician once told me that he would never install a smart thermostat since they do not properly control the HVAC unit (i.e. the order in which the components are started stopped like fan, AC or furnace). Not sure if there is any truth to that.
Also, the video mentions thermometers. Will the WYZE thermostat be able to use these as an input like the external sensors of some competing products or are they just for the user to check temperatures in different rooms?
Out master bed room is always too warm but the thermostat is in the living room which is nice and cool.

I assume so, but I didn’t see where it specifically says we can remotely control the temperature from our phones? Like turning it on or off, or adjust temp from the app?

@WyzeGwendolyn @Brlepage

1. Will it be possible to order extra sensors (motion, temp, humidity) separately?
    a) I didn’t see it show any sensors being included in the box…So, none are included? When will they be available to purchase and for how much?
  2. Can the sensors work without the Thermostat?
  3. Will we be able to use the sensors to create rules that affect other devices?
    a) For example, with ecobee sensors, they detect whether a room is occupied based on how long ago the sensor was triggered, and it gives more weight to rooms/sensors that were more recently triggered. This is how it determines if a room or the house is occupied.
    b) Could we use the new Wyze sensors to determine if the house is occupied, and have that affect other Wyze devices (besides just the thermostat) in the house automatically. For example:

If unoccupied turn on all notifications for all cams and sensors, or just certain ones; When occupied, turn off notifications for certain cams/sensors.

1. What if I buy the Wyze thermostat so I can use the new sensors, but don’t actually use it to control my heating/airconditioning (maybe in an apartment where it’s not allowed or I want to use another system instead, or whatever), but I plug it in separately from my HVAC systems? Will I then be able to use the sensors still?

Lastly, I LOVED the video! I loved the part where you bleeped out stuff about saving money and pasted legalese asterisk clarifications in rather than reshooting the video. It was great!

2 Likes

This is all I can answer:

I don’t believe any sensors are included, none were with in the package it for the bata units
@WyzeGwendolyn may be able to give more information and answer the remaining questions.

2 Likes

Looks like another great product from Wyze!! Pre-order placed. :+1:

3 Likes

You can perform all of the functions on the thermostat manually and in the app.
Features like:
Scheduling
Heating
Cooling
Temperature control
And more…

2 Likes

Will it work with a 2 wire system? Does it have a battery or does it need a C wire for trickle charge?

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this! I currently have an old Honeywell Mechanical Thermostat (photo below) that’s only connected to a heating system, no AC. Will the Wyze Thermostat be compatible to replace my old Honeywell? (I hope so fingers-crossed)

4 Likes

It requires a C-wire and uses a C-wire adapter. The adapter is included in the box and it was easy for me to setup(and I’m not that good with HVAC systems).

3 Likes

@janimal
How many wires does your current thermostat have? You should be able to remove the dial(be careful and turn off the power to the heating system first.)

2 Likes

So no battery? A 2 wire system like what Janimal probably has would work as long as there is a battery to be charged while the unit is calling. I was hoping I could try this out instead of purchasing another Nest Thermostat.

1 Like

I can’t confirm anything, but it sounds like it would work!

1 Like

I have bought everything @WyzeTeam has released to date. But three more items are still left out for me. A leak sensors and RBG Bulb. The third is Temp & Humidity sensor, and it coming early Jan '21. No rush…so far Wyze products have been working well for me. @WyzeGwendolyn

4 Likes

I use the Compatibility Checker and presumably the WYZE thermostat is compatible since I have a low voltage Honeywell 5000/6000 thermostat with 5 wires, however, the page where you select the terminals that have wires connected show a separate button for R and Rc. My system has a red wire going to the R terminal and there is a bridge (U) that links Rc to R. Do I need to keep these two connected?

1 Like

Hi
thank you for the picture, We only count the long wires connecting to the terminals. You could select R in our compatibility checker, (do not select Rc)

3 Likes

I had the “u”(jumper wire) on mine too. It is not required for use and can be removed. I’d suggest that you keep it in case you need to use your old thermostat in the future.
Edit: @WyzeChuan beat me😀

4 Likes

Same here. I bought everything except their Wyze Band since I already got an Apple Watch. I used to have a Xiaomi band which cost about $20 and also has a heart rate sensor.

What I still need from Wyze:

1. water leak detector (URGENT - I will purchase at least 6)
  2. RGB LED bulbs
  3. Light switch so I can control my ceiling lights/fans instead of using 4 smart bulbs)
  4. Garage door opener to retrofit older system.

Keep it up Wyze !

5 Likes