Welcome Wyze Thermostat: the simple and affordable way to bring smart heating & cooling to your home - 10/6/20

I saw on the site that it has been confirmed.

@chris5
If you are talking about the photo, it only turns red/orange when the heater is actively running otherwise the display is black

2 Likes

Thanks! I see that it states it now, not sure it did when I looked previously

Guessing its blue when a/c is on?

Yes it is.

@Chuan - the timer is excellent, but the the underlying trigger is temperature, correct? You can adjust the hysteresis (the delate between turning off and turning on in order to prevent short-cycling).

@nizzotti, likely not. Electrical radiant flooring has an in-floor temperature sensor (really to prevent overheating) and those thermostats are hence somewhat specialized. Should you jerry-rig the Wyze thermostat, you’d still need to have an external relay, as the 115/V or 208V voltage as well as the power draw is far far higher than what the Wyze (or any other forced air thermostat) can handle.

Water based radiant systems (best option out there hands down) normally have a shunt (blending hot water with cooler return water) to create the very stable temperature.
You could potentially control (room) temperature by turning the pump on and off (just like the fan in a furnace) but as the response time (from water on until heat in the dwelling) is soooo much longer (both on the up and down), you’d have an indoor climate with large temperature swings. Radiant water based heating take a while to “tune in” and then you really no longer touch it.
Also a main difference; on a water based radiant system, it is not the indoor temperature (like in a forced air system) that triggers the furnace (really “boiler”) but the water temperature. The boiler might run for a while, heating up a storage tank of water, and then the circulation pump will draw energy out of that mass (storage) for a long time. Once (storage) water temperature has dropped enough, the boiler starts again to heat it. Really has nothing to do with the indoor climate.

What happens if the thermostat loses connectivity or WiFi goes does ?

2 Likes

If the thermostat loses connectivity/WiFi you will not be able to control it via the Wyze app but you will still be able to use it like a regular thermostat by using the knob to turn the temperature up or down.

1 Like

I’m considering for my vacation home where manual control won’t always be possible. So does it just stay at last setting?

@Chuan

Can you respond to the future possibility of these working with multi zone systems. 2 thermostats for both zones with 1 HVAC?

It should, or it will keep following the programmed schedule.

@UserCustomerGwen, @kjay, If you really want to convert to a smart thermostat, you can probably use one of these devices. It’s a 240v relay with a 24v transformer. All low-voltage thermostats (such as smart thermostats) run on 24v, and the relay sees the “call” for heating and closes the 240v circuit, which directly powers your line-voltage heater.

@UserCustomerGwen can you confirm how thermostat behaves if connectivity lost ?

It then working like any traditional non smart therm.

not too familiar with how newer thermostats work…my current thermostat has a switch to choose between Heat and Cool…when in Cool mode, the heater will never turn on, and vice versa with Heat mode…does the Wyze work similarly?..for example, the outside temp is 90, and you “cool” your home to 72…later you decide 72 s too cool, and decide you actually want your house at 78, so you adjust the thermostat…will the Wyze then turn on the heater to “warm” the house to 78, or will it do nothing until house naturally warms, or you purposely turn on the Heat function?

Hi,
We have the Heat, Cool and Auto as well for you to choose from. The example you described seems like our Auto mode. Switching between heat and cool

1 Like

Can we know the retail price when the thermostat starts to ship in December?

The thermostat will continue to work based on the program you had set prior to losing connectivity.

I just want to reiterate @txcrude’s point that replacing a traditional rectangle landscape mode thermostat may require some drywall work. That’s unfortunate, as it might be the single biggest obstacle to acceptance.