Weird WiFi connection issues?

Took a long time for me to get a response and that was worthless. They take no responsibility. If you look at their help responses to various problems, the answer is always the same. Check this and this. No solutions.

7 of my 8 Wyze plugs went offline while I was away from home. To get them back online, someone had to come into my house, unplug, and replug-in each one. I would like the smart plug to have the capability to reset itself automatically when it goes offline.

I totally agree about the plugs resetting themselves. We have no one to reset them for us - ours were off for an extended time. Same with some motion sensors and contact sensors.

Same here. My router was a few years old. Iā€™ve accumulated so many things on wifi it started kicking things off the network

1 Like

I have had my cameras and sensors for over a year now and they disconnect all the time. I have had the wifi checked twice and gone through just about every so called fix you can imagine and nothing has worked. I have learned to live with it. For me there is basically no fix. Maybe one day but there is no point in buying anymore products from wyze until that day comes.

1 Like

Of all the wifi bulbs I have, the 3 Wyze bulbs are the only ones to go offline constantly.
At least once a week one or the other will go offline.
I have to go thru the whole setup process again I have gave up on the kitchen ceiling light and once I reprogrammed it I just set it for full brightness and turn it on and off with the wall switch.
I have 8 in my house 3 of which are the culprits and even if I lose total house power off-brand bulbs work afterwards but not the Wyze bulbs. Not just my being gone frequently, but my front and back deck lights are in the ceiling so my wife canā€™t easilt change for a regular bulb so I am getting ready to scrap them and put others in their place. Hopefully this problem is fixable. Everything else I have from Wyze continues to work very well, but these bulbs are basically useless.

1 Like

Yes they are. It was recommended to me to reduce transmit power on my router. I was hopeful at first but today over half are offline again. Wyze has been annoyingly quiet on the issue.

1 Like

I have the same issues with a sensors on 2 doors, suddenly they disconnect during normal wifi conditions, and require new setup procedures. I consider the door sensors a critical component of my home security systemā€¦, very frustrating.

1 Like

I also have had issues with connectivity and bulbs. I had two bulbs on the same circuit under a porch but not far from the router. and one bulb the left would have issues connecting. Some days it will be on e network some days it will be off. So I swapped the two bulbs position on the porch and the bulb in the original problem location which never lost connection also had issues connecting. So then I put a third bulb in that spot and moved the problem bulb inside closer to the router. It has not disconnected since. I then move the router 10 inches higher from its location and now the right bulb goes out of touch with the router but the left stays connected So maybe being placed in a recessed fixture 50 feet from router going through two walls is just to much to ask from the antenna in the bulbs even though on my phone I show very good connectivity on my phones WiFi meter.

1 Like

My motion detector and one smart plug also disconnect regularly. It got so frequent I just leave them offline now.

My camera used to disconnect from the router regularly, which apparently also disconnected the bulbs in another part of the house. Eventually, the camera failed to connect at all to the router. I replaced the camera, which was well out of warranty, and Iā€™ve had no issues at all with connectivity since then. At least in this case, the issue was the camera and not anything else.

1 Like

The issue is with your router, guaranteed. Thatā€™s not to say Wyze couldnā€™t do something about it, but in the meantime, you can. @jld4243

I have had this happen many times. I have dozens of Wyze devices and like any home, dozens more of other devices that connect to WiFi. Routers can only handle so much. Gone are the days of buying a $20 router from Walmart and expecting all will be well.

Here is what you need to ensure-
Own at least a dual band, if not tri band router. Wyze only uses 2.4 GHzso put all your other devices on 5GHz.
Max out the number of clients your router can host (usually 150).
Change your IP range to the max range. Again, usually 15.
Buy a second router or upgrade to mesh if possible. Using that second router as a repeater can do wonders.

Again, itā€™s be nice to have a fix from Wyze, but many of the issues lie within our home. Take care of your network and all will be well. @tthompson1949 @slater4303 @DJ-BrianC @dbrat @macguru @Klimas

1 Like

I have a mesh system. I am no were near maxing out the wifi. I have a dual band setup. I have plenty of bandwidth. Wyze products are on their own ssid which is restricted to 2.4 so thatā€™s an extra steps towards isolation. I set my transmit power to lowest setting to eliminate interference. No change from max power. No mater what steps I take in home network the bulbs are not stable. Even the cameras are tempermental but no where near as bad.

Oddly enough as I just started reading this thread for the first time minutes ago, I began waiting for the word mesh to appear because it sounded so much like my experience.

The quick summary of whatā€™s below is - how do the bulbs behave for you when NOT on a mesh WiFi?

First, everything @Cap has said is very solid advice. Second, my Wyze bulbs were quite moody about staying connected as well. Iā€™ll play with them again when I have time.

Beyond that, I have seen much weirdness with mesh systems, esp the inexpensive TP Link Deco. Modern phones and tablets love it and happily roam everywhere. But certain fixed or older devices are not happy at all - refusing to connect ( a Samsung TV) and/or frequently dropping the connection.

My personal theory is that some devices get ā€˜confusedā€™ when they see multiple nodes with different MAC addresses but the same SSID/pwd. Also the handing off process between nodes as the mesh system itself tries to detect which node the device should be connected to. Yes, I know this sounds counter intuitive for a fixed location bulb. Someone with more knowledge can probably explain it better.

Anyhow, my workaround fix was to set up a traditional access point with a different SSID just for those devices that didnā€™t play well with the mesh WiFi. As you mentioned, I put it on the older 2.4 Ghz and manually set the channel to not conflict with the mesh. Connected an old router by ethernet to the main internet feed.

But, a few things you may want to experiment with first -

a) Turn off all but the one main node of the mesh and see if the bulbs within range stay connected any better

b) If you have the option in your mesh system, turn OFF ā€œFast Roamingā€ for the Wyze bulbs and any fixed location devices.

c) Connect the mesh nodes by Ethernet backhaul cable instead of by WiFi if you have not done so already.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about any better solutions you discover!

1 Like

I am interested to see if this works as a solution for mesh network folks. I have a single unify AP and bulbs have been solid throughout my townhouse.

I can definitely donā€™t have an overworked router. The Wyze bulbs and cameras are the only thing on the network as this is happening in a home where the owners have been in Florida for 3 months.

Thank you

From reading your first post above, I think I agree that your problem may be environmental. But you have only said router, but what type of router do you have? All in ones have had a history of sometimes not being the best when it comes to lots of wireless clients on a network. My above post which you replied to was about setups that include multiple mesh points and bulbs that may loose connection as their connection possibly jumps mesh points and having a possible solution to have only one connection point.

You might be onto something there. It is a all in one. Itā€™s not that old but could be part of the problem

Thanks for the suggestions

1 Like

Where in your home is the all in one router? What is around it?

Yeah, trust me Iā€™ve deep dived into my network. I went over all my settings on my gigabit modem, pfsense firewall, routers and switches and cannot determine why this happensā€¦ Iā€™ve sat and watched the traffic going by with Wireshark, suricata and tcpdump, as well as took a look at all of the DHCP activity, ARP activity, etc. It is really only 1-2 bulbs and 1-2 plugs that will disconnect like every week or every other week. Sort of stumped at this point, but I mean its not the end of the world. It takes like a few minutes to re-pair them to the network and app, but its just something Iā€™d like to try and fix somehow.