We’re Giving Wyze Person Detection to All Users at Whatever Price You Want - 1/11/22

Please see this post above by @carverofchoice , find the question that applies to your situation and click the arrow to expand the text for guidance.

2 Likes

I will contribute after I give this a test drive. It’s good value if it does what it says it does.

3 Likes

I don’t care about cloud storage. Local storage is fine for me. My big issue is the 5 minute cooldown period. If we’re not pushing video to your cloud storage, why don’t you let us have continuous local recording of events? This doesn’t cost you more and would actually save you money since rather than me pushing event recordings to your cloud, I would store them locally so I can have continuous recording.

Also, if you would add RTSP support to the standard firmware, I’d also gladly give up using your cloud storage.

2 Likes

I don’t see an option for an annual subscription option for “Cam Plus Lite”, only monthly.

I currently have Cam Plus and like how it currently prorate any need adds to this service so that all the fees are renewed on a single date.

How about adding this for “Cam Plus Lite”?

I’m seeing some of the listing for Wyze cams don’t mention 12second in recorded in the cloud anymore (Motion and Sound Detection, When the camera detects motion or sound, it will record a 12-second video that is securely stored in the AWS cloud.) So my question is, by opting in Cam Plus Lite are we opting out of the 12sec of recording we bought when we first bought the camera(s)?

I totally understand, I use to follow so closely - but it just got crazy. I just tried to add on a subscription service, but it says I’m not eligible. Of course those maybe my original cameras. It’s just too much to keep up with - just make it all work together. I love Wyze but I’d like to be able to have my cameras working all the same way. I love the web view!

Oh boy…mixed feeling here.
I own 5 Wyze Cams (3 V2 & 2 V3) and bought them based upon their 14 days of free storage where most others were charging, this aspect allowed me to get many others on board with Wyze.
They had all the bells & whistles with that at the time of buying before doing the change over to remove some features to place behind a paywall to then continue using.
Granted it was a name your price at that point, which while nice, was still taking away the core aspects that the cameras were sold upon and which is why we chose to buy initially.
Now they are doing the same thing with the very basic fundamental aspect of these cameras with a paywall for the online storage of 14 days.
This is a tough one to decide upon regarding what we were told when buying the cameras vs now being asked to kindly (hopefully) give more money for.
I suspect they will now have to pay a ton of $$ to make new packaging for all the camera to be sold stating it is a paid service vs the 14 days free cloud option so if it is money they are needing, this seems counter intuitive IMO.
I know we can choose $0 but it reminds me of that Southpark Episode where the cashiers ask to donate $$ to a charity and if you don’t…well lol.
Why not offer even more advanced features, like timed photos, specific audio detection alerts, etc to generate that additional income?

What they need to do here is sell the online storage with more benefits BUT offer those who wish to use SD cards instead some important options that are present for the online only storage like people/pet detection and ESPECIALLY continuous recording vs the 5 min cooldown (which makes no sense if not using the cloud option) etc so those who wish to use SD cards only get those benefits.
I really don’t get how CAM + is PER camera vs it being a set all inclusive price, that to me makes no sense.

2 Likes

If I read this correctly…. if we don’t opt in the 12 second cloud storage will be removed.

Kind of not right considering my original purchase included this feature.

5 Likes

I posted in Camera trying not to dilute this thread.

1 Like

Yeah it seems that way…they are now phasing out the whole aspect of what made so many of us to buy these in the 1st place and locking that core feature behind a paywall (to new customers and us legacy customers to an extent).

1 Like

This is good feedback, and I support this suggestion. You should go vote for it in the wishlist here:

I voted for this in support.

In the meantime, the work around is to pay a lump sum all in one month, then before it charges the second month, switch it back to $0, then next year do another one time payment before switching it back. Some people did this with the previous version called “Legacy Person Detection” and it worked for them. It would be nice if Wyze made it easier by adding a simple option to select though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is very disappointing. I am an original user, and was promised the 12 sec recording would continue no matter what else might change. Now you claim that I just have to sign up for Cam Plus Lite at $0. Then why do you want my credit card number? I’m not willing to give that up. You have achieved the worst of all outcomes. You have lost my trust, something which will permeate all product lines. Very poor business decision…I expected better.

6 Likes

Problem I see….

Wyze has these cameras in retail store, printed on the box along with features is the following:

Free Cloud
Storage for
12-sec Videos

A customer will expect this service to be free as described. I’m pretty sure new customers are not going to opt to pay for 12 second clips when the box reads as free…

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this link …I just voted. :+1:

1 Like

@rtabox
I am being told it should not be requiring a credit card number if you are doing an amount of $0. Are you experiencing something different?

2 Likes

With an SD Card you can set event recording or continuous recording and not be limited bu any cool-down. The 5 minute limitation was related to the cloud side and notifications.

Cam Plus Lite is replacing the current 12 second storage. It will now only store a thumbnail and use the SD Card for the video, if you have one. To maintain your current cloud storage and obtain Person Detection you will need to opt into Cam Plus Lite. You can Logon by going here: Opt In to Cam Plus Lite

Here is a piece of the article

2 Likes

Yeah they are coming out with so many new gadgets continuously but this moves sends me a vibe that they are losing $$.

1 Like

I don’t want continuous recording, I want continuous record of events. The existing continuous recording is difficult to use because it doesn’t show where events were detected.

I’d rather just have the camera record every single event without a cool down period to local storage. I think that makes perfect sense and is less cost to Wyze (no cloud usage) and more useful for me. Win-win, right?

I understand what you are saying. However, Wyze is also updating the the SD Storage process and as the second bullet states, you will have a button to take you directly to the location on the SD Card where the event occurred.

So you can set the SD Card to only record events and it will record until the event is over. When you get the Alert, you will have a button to take you to that time stamp to see the event.

Please note: There never has been a 5-minute cool down for SD recording. The cool-down was for cloud recordings and notifications. So if a event happened 2-minutes after another the SD card would record it but you would not get a cloud notification and no rules would be triggered because it was in the cool-down period. The cool-down period will still exist.

1 Like