We’re Giving Wyze Person Detection to All Users at Whatever Price You Want - 1/11/22

“Yes, I know, I know, if one opts in, they won’t lose anything and even get person detection back, but that’s not the point.”

To me that is the point. They don’t get person detection back, they get person detection added. I guess I don’t shamed so easily.

1 Like

Event recordings, located on the Events tab are all in the cloud, the local recordings, located on the SD card, are viewed from the live view of the cam and the view playback button. You can set the SD card to record events and it will keep a recording of any 60 second period that contains motion. You can set it to continuous and it will record everything and is only limited by the size of the card. The SD recordings do not show up under events however so without opting in the Events tab will only contain thumbnail images instead of the cloud recordings that are there now.

5 Likes

Duration is only locked on the cloud side, SD recordings are not limited to specific lengths

3 Likes

So viewing events directly from the events tab is locked behind cloud storage? Why cant both SD card events and cloud events be visible from the same menu? Seems like an inconvenience to have to go through more menus and steps in order to view events on SD card when they are all simply events. If the SD stored events thumbnail can be viewed under the events tab why not simply make the full events play just like an event in the cloud? Straight from the events menu.

1 Like

I see they have updated the software to allow continuous event recording. Last I checked this was not available. Great addition. Thank you for informing me of this.

I am still confused why viewing events on the SD card is such a hassle compared to viewing events stored on the cloud. I did not even know that my events were being stored on the cloud since I never signed up for any premium services and only ever intended on using local storage. The events tab should allow simple viewing of all events no matter the storage location.

1 Like

No. It was always available for SD card recording.

Settings for SD motion or continuous recording are completely separate from Event and AI settings.

In Wyze terminology “Events” are ONLY the cloud recordings. That’s what you’ve been looking at on the Events tab. As noted, SD card recordings are only viewable from each camera’s screen. If you think it through it becomes clear just why.

2 Likes

Yes the Events tab has always been the events that are on the cloud

I am not sure of the reason but I know it has been brought up to the team that users would like them both in the Events tab.

The thumbnail would still come from the cloud and not the SD card

Continuous recording has always been available, I know I have been recording continuous for over 2 years to the SD card

You have never needed a premium service for cloud events, it was always free. The cameras have always been cloud based and one of the things many users have asked for is a way to have them run locally, but these cameras are cloud dependent.

5 Likes

The people that I reply to are people I’ve grown to like and respect.

1 Like

I see, thank you for enlightening me. Due to my confusion of the Events tab I never knew that the camera was continuously recording. I have never clicked the “view playback” button before today. I did not know this was even occurring, all this time I thought the only video playback I had was the short clips under the Events menu. Wow, not sure if this was here since day one or added sometime after but thank you!

4 Likes

Thank you thank you I was not aware of this, I always thought the events menu was all that my camera was recording to the SD card, I now know it has been recording so much more! Wow the many moments in the past I wished I knew this.

5 Likes

So viewing events directly from the events tab is locked behind cloud storage? Why cant both SD card events and cloud events be visible from the same menu? Seems like an inconvenience to have to go through more menus and steps in order to view events on SD card when they are all simply events. If the SD stored events thumbnail can be viewed under the events tab why not simply make the full events play just like an event in the cloud? Straight from the events menu.

Without boring you too much by going into detail on how our infrastructure works, basically the cloud is where notifications come from, not your cam. So, we have to send some kind of info to the cloud in order for a notification to happen - especially so for AI users as if that notification requires AI, the video has to get processed by the cloud. Switching to thumbnails is the easiest way to “not use cloud storage” without breaking how notifications currently work.

We’re always looking for ways to improve, so I’m willing to bet if we see that a significant number of folks are utilizing thumbnails+microSD and the wishlist requests even more basic cloud storage, our engineering team could potentially look into restructuring how things works to make entirely local possible to satisfy that need. I think right now this was just a easy-ish way to get something close done without super crazy engineering overhead.

8 Likes

Understood. Thank you for the reply. I very much believe there is enough user base that only wish to utilize local resources that would greatly appreciate being able to view SD events directly from the events tab. I also believe as long as the thumbnails take you directly to the time date of the event this will be very welcomed. Will this function for continuous recording as well? Will the thumbnail still bring you directly to the point of the continuous recording where the event was triggered?

thanks!

2 Likes

Why does it seem to be so difficult for Wyze to put two buttons on the camera page one that says “view iCloud” and the other “view SD card” that would eliminate all the hassles that are being discussed on various forms involving playback

1 Like

It still will do that, but the notifications and thumbnails are still subject to the 5-minute cooldown period so you could have events on the sd card that do not have an associated thumbnail due to the cooldown period.

2 Likes

Will this function for continuous recording as well? Will the thumbnail still bring you directly to the point of the continuous recording where the event was triggered?

It sure will! Basically you’d click on the Event, get taken to a larger view of the thumbnail, and then you can click the button to jump to the section on the microSD where the Event occurred. And you’ll even have a “jump back 30s” and a “jump forward 30s” button to help you control more granularly in the app update coming soon.

2 Likes

I am guessing because iCloud is patented by Apple lol, but I get what you are saying and I am not sure, I do not know a lot of the development side of things.

1 Like

AWESOME! Very great indeed. Looking forward to this new update. I have some exploring to do on the app now that I have been informed of these features. I was a bleeding edge customer of the cameras back when they were first releasing and admittedly have not kept up with all of the additions to the camera over the years. When I purchased my first Camv1 I was just happy to be supporting the dream of a small family that was making a soon to find out great product! Keep it up!

2 Likes

While I have you here, do you know how I view recordings backed up to the cam outdoor’s base station? Do I have to install an SD card in the outdoor camera itself to view recordings through the app?

Thanks

1 Like

Well when I first bought my cameras, person detection was built into the hardware, but somehow or another there was a contract dispute and we suffered. I decided not to opt in then because again, it was a “pay what you want” type of thing and it would make me feel like they were giving me something I didn’t deserve to have.

2 Likes

it was a “pay what you want” type of thing and it would make me feel like they were giving me something I didn’t deserve to have

Well it appears you a good sensitive soul with moral conflicts burdening you. Me, I have no problem enjoying the gifts the universe offer me. :blush:

1 Like